Goal to lose 100 pounds...anyone else?? - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 08:32 AM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Goal to lose 100 pounds...anyone else??

[ QUOTE ]
sandee31 said:
For someone who has so much to lose do you recommend high reps and moderate weight or low reps and heavy weight (like BFL). I've been reading so much conflicting info lately especially when it comes to diet. Low carb, high carb, glycemic index [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
thanks
Sandy

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much, Sandy.

I recommend heavy weight, low reps. Do 8-12 reps, as soon as you can do 13 reps at any set, up the weight at the next set.

High protein, moderate carb is the way to go to gain/maintain muscle. Not low-carb as in Atkins, but not the Food Pyramid either. You don't want more carb than 40% of your daily calories. You want the Protein/Carb/Fat ratio to be something like:

40/30/30
33/33/33
40/25/35
35/30/35

or at the most carb
30/40/30

The Glycemic Index is a good guideline to help choose carb sources, but most of the info in there is just plain old common sense. Oats are better than Corn Flakes, brown rice is better than white rice, etc. And you can still eat things that have a higher GI, just make sure to combine them with other foods. For instance, cheese has a very high Glycemic Load (another index that measures insulin response), but I love cheese so when I add it to one of my meals, I eat it with chicken, whole wheat bread, and 4 cups of lettuce. Your body responds to the GI/GL of the whole meal, so you can still eat the high GI/GL stuff, you just need to pair them with lower GI/GL stuff.

Bananas are very high GI and I have one every morning, with my oatmeal and egg whites.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks, Gwin and Krypto.

Autumn, congrats on the loss! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Misslili should change his/her status!
Stranger

JV you and all the ladies are a wealth of information. I wish I had found this board sooner. Thank you to everyone who has sent me encouragment and motivation. And most importantly congratulations to all of you who have successful lost tons of fat and are achieving your goals. I can't wait to join all of you with my success stories. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lili

p.s. I posted a few more questions on the Nutritional & Supplementation board. Is it acceptable for me to repost that message over here and start a new thread. Or should I only post one topic on one board? I'm anxious to get as many comments as possible.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Lady, I find it helpful to ask stuff both here and there, since there are many that only go there and many that only come here. You will probably get very different answers.
Old 07-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Misslili should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hi JV,

Thanks for letting me know...I'll post that message here also. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lili