Yay me! I'm really truckin' now! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 08:26 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Yay me! I\'m really truckin\' now!

My running pace has improved dramatically since 5/17!

Now, don't make fun, I'm sure there are some girls on this site that can run a mile in 6 minutes flat or less (withOUT the inline skates Krypto! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). I started on 5/17 at 11:16 min/mile pace for 20 minutes and now I'm at 9:31 min/mile. I think I've hit my speed bump so to speak though and will probably stay at this pace for the next two times (I'm on a five day split so I do cardio once every five days) because this workout was really tough for me to get through.

My goal for the end of summer is to complete a mile in under 9 minutes. I have NEVER run a mile that fast. Hell, I've never run a mile under 10:30 before either until this summer...

Usually for my warm-ups before I lift I do about five minutes of running on the treadmill. Usually I do a 1-1.5 minutes at a brisk walk then crank it up to about 30-45 seconds off my cardio day time. So I've been running at a 8:57 min/mile pace on non-cardio days. I'm going to increase that to a full five minutes of running at this pace--I'm dreading trying to run 8:57 for a full 20 minutes...I ran it for four minutes last week and it was hard enough. Oh well, I'll get there.

Any runners out there? Any tips for improving my time? I've been trying to push up a notch (about ten seconds off my mile pace) every time I run...
Old 07-02-2003, 08:49 PM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Yay me! I\'m really truckin\' now!

Congratulations! I hit my best time today at 9:15. My goal is the 9:00 minute mile by the time school starts. That gives me almost 2 months. I'm sure I can make it.

I think HIIT is probably one of the better ways to improve time. Sprinting could help as well. I'm not a runner either, I've just been doing this all for myself and setting personal goals.
Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Heavyweight

Hey cool! We both have the same goal! You're farther along than I am though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

School starts back for me probably around August 27 or so. I have seven cycles left in the 13 Week Workout, then maybe a week or two after that until classes start. So, hopefully in about ten cardio workouts (give or take) I hope to cut down to the 8:57 pace. It sounds doable...but it was really tough this afternoon.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to do those, but its just too crazy to do on a treadmill...I live in Texas and its waayyyy too hot to run outside (at least for my tastes). Our gym has an indoor track that I used to enjoy running on, but theres too many people that run there in the afternoons (which is when I've been running lately) and there is always that group of stupid girls that think the "not more than two people side by side" rule doesn't apply to them and three of them will fan out over the lanes and abstruct all but the last lane. Bah! Its too hard to try to sprint because of all that.

Excuses, excuses eh?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 PM
DarkLotus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Congrats to both of you [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I am lucky just being able to do windsprints [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I have heard a lot of people mention this program called couch25k, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml the site also has some tips and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Heavyweight

Hey thanx for the link, DarkLotus!

Either of you girls interested in distance running? I'm built more for endurance and enjoy that, but it doesn't mesh well with lifting (or so I've heard). I want to do a few 5k and 10k races this next year and maybe a half-marathon if I feel lucky sometime next spring...

If I run races though, I want a time that's at least average (hence the under nine minutes goal). If I can run a 5k with a average pace of under nine minutes I'll feel very pleased with myself. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 11:18 PM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I have been thinking about joining the track team in the spring, but I'm still thinking about that one. It really depends how I am progressing (or not) with weight lifting/bbing. I'm more into the lifting than the running right now though.

Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 07-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Heavyweight

Me too. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 11:59 PM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

CONGRATS on your new time - AWESOME!!

I was able to take my 5K time from 38 minutes to 27 minutes doing the typical BFL style cardio. Once a week I did HIIT cardio, one long day (not productive from a fat loss goal but VERY important in ANY running goal) and the rest were BFL style. My one mile max went from 11:30 to just over 8 and that was SO COOL in my book! Of course now getting in 3 in under 30 is almost impossible :-( BABIES RUIN YOU! LOL!!
I would say be carefull on how fast you progress. Even in short distances if you only do fast workouts and they keep getting faster - you should give yourself time to adjust to your new pace before taking it up another notch. Of course, i am the running injury queen so I am EXTRA carefull now!
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:26 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I'm no fan of running but what you've achieved sure looks excellent! Elements of motivation, patience and determination.
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-03-2003, 01:38 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Great job ender.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Closed Thread