I need some advice from the ladies regarding a sensitive issue - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 03:57 AM
Sun Tzu should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default I need some advice from the ladies regarding a sensitive issue

Alright ladies, I need some serious advice here.

I may have gotten my GF pregnant. I've agreed to go out and by the pregnancy test at the local supermarket, and I'm curious... What are the best most cost efficient home pregnancy test companies out there?

I know nothing about them, and regardless of what the test says I'm taking my GF to a doctor get some real tests done to make 100% sure.

On other thing, any advice on how to best emotionally support my girlfriend?
Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 AM
amandasmith911 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: I need some advice from the ladies regarding a sensitive issue

you are really going through a lot right now.i would recomend any pg test that is the kind where you urinate on a stick,so there is no mixing chemicals and is an early detection test with results in 1-3 min.you can usually get a pack with two tests for about $18.two test pack is good incase the first test comes out negative.then you can retest in a few days just to be sure.i do not believe the brand really matters that much but answer,fact plus or ept are all good brands.these tests are pretty accurate.if it says posotive,then you can be 99.9% sure she is pregnate.if it says negative it maybe that she is not pregnate or it may mean she is not far enough along to get a posotive result.is her period already late?she needs to wait to test until the day her period is due or the day after.

as far as how to support her,just listen to her.be there for her.let he be happy or sad.let her scream,kick,punch,cry.let her have what ever emotions she is going to have.if this is an unplanned preganacy don't freak out if she gets angry at you or acts kinda crazy for a while.everything will work itself out.i promise.the reason i can say this is because i got pregnate when i was 15 y old and had my son when i was 16.he is now a wonderful 9y old.god will help you through whatever happens.

amanda
Old 07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Middleweight

Alrighty, thankyou very much for the information and advice.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Chicker should change his/her status!
Middleweight

What I wanted ot say was already covered, but I just want to add, that things will be hard most likely, and as hard as things get, work through them. Stick it out. If there's anything harder than being pregnant when you're young, it's being pregnant along when you're young.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:27 AM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Johnson&Johnson makes a very reliable one, I don't recall the name but when my friend had a scare I bought her this one and another brand. The J&J said she was pregnant, the other one said she wasn't. Her son is gonna be 8 next month...
Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 AM
workinhard should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I'm assuming your young. It sounds like you are willing to step up to the plate if she is pregnant. It's good to hear that you are talking about supporting her, you sound like a good guy. If she is pregnant, offer to be there with her when she tells her parents.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Mrs_Centricity should change his/her status!

I would like to clear somthing up that seems to be a misconception, you can not get a false positive on a pregnancy test. Since it measures a hormone which the female body only produces during the first 6 week of her pregancy. So it it's positive she is pregnant. However you can get a false negative. I t takes time for the hormone to build to a measurable level, so if it's negative wait a week, if she does not get her cucle do the test again, you may get a positive that time.

Aside from that all tests are equal.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Middleweight

Quite honestly I'm worried what will happen when my GF tells her father. Her mother died along time ago, and her father is a bit of a control freak and somewhat emotionally abusive... *sigh* I don't think he'll get violent, (at least I hope so) but his reaction won't be pretty.

I know my parents aren't going to be really that pleased either. We're both 19 and going into second year university this fall... And quite honestly, even without a pregnancy test I think she is pregnant, don't laugh... I just have this feeling in my gut that she is. I've talked to her about it and she's said that she's been feeling strange for the last week and a half or so (which is how long she's been pregnant if she has conceived) and isn't expecting to get her period for that reason.

My GF really doesn't want to be pregnant at this point in her life, but doesn't believe in abortions or giving up the baby for adoption either. I've talked marriage over with her, and she says while ideally she would like to marry me because she *wants* to marry me; she isn't actually opposed to marrying me at all. In fact, she would like to, just on her own terms. The same goes for me, but sometimes practicality overcomes romance.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Chicker should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I would just like to add that I am impressed with how responsible about it you're being. Although I've enver been through anything like this, I can imagine it must be very difficult for both of you. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:44 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I've thought I was pregnant before as well and I had a feelingthat I was. Turned out I was just late and I shouldn't have worried. It's good that she told you instead of waiting it out by herself (which is what I did).

Maybe you guys should wait until your sure before you worry too much about what her dad says/does. That's really the least of your problems. It seems like your folks are good people and you can turn to them to help you out.

There are options out there. She can have the baby and give it up for adoption. There are tons of families out there who have waited for years for the chance to provide a loving, caring environment for a baby. He/she will be cared for by people you have had to prove repeatedly (and for years) that they can afford a child and are emotional stable enough to do so. You can still be in the child's life at some point in the future and they (and you) don't have to suffer through a childhood of not having enough money to buy the things you all need and you and she don't have to be forced to come together for a child...they are quite stressful from what I've heard. Also I don't personally advocate abortion, but it is an option.

My point is that even if she's pregnant it will be okay. Don't fret. There are options and people that geniunely want to help.
Closed Thread