getting to know you.... - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: getting to know you....

Hi, I'm Erin, from Ottawa Canada. I am 36 yrs old, been there done that and not seriously looking anymore. No kids, and probably won't be having any either. My only 'baby' is my cat "Pud"
I started lifting weights seriously about 3 yrs ago, and before that, was mostly a cardio bunny. The entire fitness thing for me came out of the need to survive...you see I had an ED that I was working hard to overcome...after having gone throught the counselling and wanting to make a change for myself, I realised that working-out was the only thing I could do to make me eat MORE! I logically knew that the more energy you spent, the more 'fuel' you had to put in the tank (food). I enjoy competing with myself, challenging myself to work harder, lift more etc..So after first getting active walking/running and yes lifting those pink dumbells at home...it naturally progressed into my joining a gym. I knew that if I was going to progress I needed a gym for all of it's equipment and expertise....not to mention there's only so much room in a 1bdrm apt., for home gym equipment!! I, at that time had a treadmill, a step, a set of dumbells all in my living room!! It was just time to branch out! Now, I have friends hat'll just walk up to me and squeeze my biceps or shoulders because there's now muscle there instead of just bone (sort of the opposite issues, I guess).
I came to "abc" looking for ideas and tips and am hooked now...there's alot of great people here!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Chicker should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I'm 15 (turning 16 in October) and i live in Guelph, Ontario. I spend my free time training dogs, they're my passion.

I started lifting because I was really worried about my safety. I had to be relocated to a different highschool after a rather frightening event, but I was still shaken up. Also, being a weak little woman (5'4, and at the time, 120 lbs), I decided it would improve my confidence to be a bit stronger and look a bit stronger, too! I've gained 5 pounds, and dropped two dress sizes..and I think I'm definitely more confident.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:47 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I was anorexic for eight years. Got very serious about recovery by Jan 02 and didn't allow myself to workout for about a year. I also started eating whatever I wanted, but not to excess...just ate way too many carbs and too many sweets. Needless to say I put on too much weight...but in the grand scheme of things I fully recovered from the ED so I'm not complaining.

That was about five months ago (I'm 23). I started working out with weights on 2/14/03 at 134#s with a bodyfat of over 30% I'm sure. I did a bulk first for three months (hey I needed to loose weight anyway, what's an extra five pounds or so [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). I'm about seven weeks into my cut and my bodyfat is around 24% at 131.5#s (a couple of weeks ago anyway). I've lost 10#s of fat and I'm hoping to loose down to around 20% bf by the time school starts. Not going to worry too much about getting lower than that cuz I might do another bulk depending on what I see...

I've been working out for about four and a half months, training heavy and reading as much as possible in the nutrition section on this site. I weight trained in high school for about a year but never got anywhere (diet was totally wrong...I ate very few calories, low-fat, and ate no meat--wanna be vegetarian that I was).
Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 AM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

This is cool! I am 32 and a Mom to 6 great kids. I have been active now for 2 years (minus a pregnancy!). I started running (aka waddling) in March of 2001 and ran (aka waddled) a marathon in October of that year. I lost 20 pounds despite my eating habits (left gym - went to McDonalds!). After the marathon I tried BFL and lost another 20 pounds going from a size 14 to a size 6/4. Then, baby #6 decided to make her life be known. I have been back at it since she was 2 weeks old. I have lost 20 pounds and still have about 7 pounds to go to be back where I was. I started weights when I started running but not for REAL until after I had this last baby.
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

My name is Debbie and I am a nerdy, wimpy, academic geek who never enjoyed sports. When I read the Fitness Magazines and then read the bios of the magnificent looking models, they all read the same: Cheerleader, or athlete since birth, etc. I cannot relate.

My wonderful Jewish mother made sure that us kids were kept busy by giving us "candy" as an activity. She also said that putting salt on food cooled it off. And, we were not allowed to run around because that would cause heat exhaustion. You get the idea. As a result, diet and exersize was always a challenge.

In spite of that, I was never obese, just chubby. Then I discovered boys and became "skinny-fat" for a while. Then I had a child and became a stay-at-home mom and over-ate from bordom and frustration. Then I became single again and became a cardio bunny.

So, at 46 years old, I have been working out with weights for about 2-3 years and I am addicted. I get such a kick out of seeing how much weight I can move because I never thought that there existed a sport that I would enjoy. I am in the best shape ever, I eat more than I ever ate before, and cheating for me might consist of a pizza dinner or Chinese food for lunch, once per week. A cheat meal, let's say I have twice per week, used to be a thrice daily thing. And, I never touch dessert and don't miss it. But, I am omitting the alien being that I turn into once per month where I eat everything in site all day, especially if it is chocolate.

Thank-you for sharing your history. I wish I had a non-Internet friend that I can talk to about working out. All my friends either do nothing or they only do cardio and starve themselves.

Debbie

Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 AM
PKBaby should change his/her status!

Hi, my name is Ginny and I'm an IT manager at a University. I'm 5' 11 and am lucky to have never been truely overweight growing up. In the past few years I've put on 20 extra pounds, but didn't really realize it until the grocery boy offered to carry my bags out because he thought I was pregnant. Needless to say, I was not! I started "dieting" and being the IT nerd that I am, scoured the Internet for information. I found ABC and learned enough to know that just dropping the 20 lbs wasn't going to change my body. I started weight training about 8 months ago and absolutely love it! I'm glad to be a part of this great group, and hope to hear more from all of you.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:29 AM
workinhard should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Cool post!

I'm 31 years old, origionally from Michigan, living in Atlanta, GA for nearly 4 years now. I'm a Recruiter...I help people find jobs and companies find employees...all for banking and financial services companies. I've been married just over a year, no kids yet but my husband and I started trying last night. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We'll see how long it takes.

I've worked out in stages throughout my life. I would get gung ho about it for a few months then lose interest and stay out of the gym for a year, get back into it, lost interest... I started working out consistantly in November of 2002 and have kept it up since. I started out doing cardio only and wasn't getting anywhere. I found this site and learned the error of my ways. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've been lifting since early March and love it! I've only started eating correctly for about 1 1/2 months now. I've been eating clean for about 3 months but I was only eating 1300 calories a day in the beginning. Tuf read this in my journal and convinced me to up my calories. I slowly raised them to 1800 (which is still probably low - I know) but I've lost weight since and that just blew my mind - eat more, lose weight - I love it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The # on the scale really isn't much of a focus for me anymore - I just want a hard body. I'm not there, I have a long way to go but I look SO much better than I used to, and I'm strong now!
I always told myself I would work to be in the best shape of my life before I got pregnant so I would be able to workout during my pregnancy and lose the weight quickly afterward. I'm there! I've been thinner in my life but I've never been stronger or fitter than I am now (well, since I was a kid anyways). Bring on the babies! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I'm plump
Always have been
My mom's been feeding me well for the last 28 years
Especially when there's no siblings

I love to write
A buried passion re-ignited
Verses's my favourite
Passion for short prose has faded

I'm trained in research
But hate looking into things without passion
Now passion there's 3
Writing, Bodybuilding and ABC

I have a profession
That I care not to mention
It's not on my list of passions
Just one of life's complications

But a girl has got to eat
To maintain that mansion of a body
Oh it's not that bad, that profession
We all have responsibilities

I'm surrounded by walking toothpicks
And strongly encouraged to walk as a toothpick
This is so very ironic
When my mother feeds me so well

What I love most about bodybuilding
Even before I achieve my desired body
Even more than the slowly changing body
Is the AWEsome DOMS that makes me all stiffy

So the next time you see me
Come right up and tell me
How DOMS inflicted how sore you are
And I'll be glad to know
You have done your best
In all your presses and rows

<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-03-2003, 07:47 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Wow, a poem, cool.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:01 PM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Hi everyone. I'm new here; just became a member today, although I've been reading everything on this site for a couple of weeks now.

I'm single, 28, no kids (unless you count a Golden Retriever), 5'8", 140#s. I'm with teletummy on the job thing. It's a way to pay for the things I like to do. It doesn't define my life. I live in the good ol' hot, sticky south. (Does 99% humidity and 95 degree temps mean anything to you?)

I've been one of those on-and-off-ers since college. I was pretty serious about weight lifting last year...but for the wrong reasons. My boyfriend was a power lifter/body builder and I got into it because of him (of course I didn't think that at the time). Then we broke up and I was devestated and blah, blah, blah. You know the rest. I've been doing the BFL program for the last couple of months. I haven't gained or lost a pound, but that doesn't concern me since I know I've gotten harder and leaner and clothes fit me better. I'm tired of BLF and was looking for something different. I've found it here. You guys are so informative! I see myself in almost everyone that's posted struggles and accomplishments. I'm generally a patient person, but not when it comes to the changes I want to make mentally and physically.

I've been tracking my meals on fitday.com and have discovered that while I'm eating 5 to 6 times a day, I'm only getting about 1550 calories. NOT ENOUGH. My goals are to increase calories (still trying to figure out how much), reduce my bf % from 21% (taken 2 months ago with one of those contraptions where you hold it out with your arms perpendicular to your body for a few seconds) to about 15%, do at least one unassisted chin-up, and get at least two - out of a possible six - pack. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You all can expect me to be asking lots of questions as ex-boyfriend (he's still my best friend) doesn't answer them as detailed as I like. Don't think he likes for me to rely on him for this stuff considering my past failures.

Thanks for listening!
Closed Thread