getting to know you.... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:01 AM
amandasmith911 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default getting to know you....

i am new and it seems there are several other new people here too.i would love to get to know every one better.so i thought if you all want we could tell each other a little about ourselves and how we got started lifting weights.

i am 26y old married mom of 2 boys.9years and 20 months.

i live in indiana in a small hick county.
i am a 3rd shift 911 dispatcher.

i needed to loose almost 100# and decided to do it.so i followed the example of all the other women in my hick county and i went on weight watchers and walked tons.i ate fat free everything.i lost over 70# that way,but have some sagging skin and i am sure muscle loss because of it.

i looked around at all these "skinny" women and decided that is not what i wanted to look like.and i also decided that i did not want to have to maintain my weightloss on very few calories like them.so i started reading and decided to clean up my diet,eat more protien and lift weights.most of my weight watcher friends think i am crazy.

so about 3 1/2 mothes ago i started lifting weights. three times a week i drag all my dumbbells,barbell,my step and what ever else i need out of my living room closet and i work out in my teeny tiny living room,usually with a child or two running around.and i absolutely love it.i wish i could go to a gym,but the nearest one is an hour away.

your turn,

amanda
Old 07-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Breeze should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: getting to know you....

Hi amanda, great idea...

Well, let's see...I'm a 39yr old (will be 40 in November), wife (married my High School sweetheart who I've know since Kindergarten), and mom of 3 growing boys (11, 13, 16). Besides my 3 cats, I'm the only girl in the house! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] I was born and raised in Chicago, but we currently reside just outside of Kansas City afer relocating here in '94. I started struggling with my weight after the birth of my 1st son...so let's see that means for the last 16 yrs! Prior to that (like a lot of women, I was trim and slim, oh yeah...and young). (lol) Although I've been struggling every since having children, my weight really shot up in '97 after losing my mom to diabetes, and my dad to colon cancer 5 months apart. In January of 2001, I went low-carb, and in March of that same year I started the Body-For-Life program (while still eating low-carb). After losing 19lbs of fat and gaining over 5 lbs of muscle, I've been hooked on weights every since. I love it here at abc, and I love my new lifestyle. My family say's I'm like a new person, inside and out. I still think the outside's got some catching up to do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

"It is what we think we know already that often prevents us from learning."
- Claude Bernard (1813-1878 French Physiologist)

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around."
- Willie Nelson

"Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know, than by our lack of knowledge."
-Kristen Stendahl
Old 07-02-2003, 08:36 AM
DarkLotus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Here's my story, short and to the point as possible. I was always fat. Whole family's fat on both sides, some of us are 400+ lbs kind of obese, not just chubby. I started really packing on the pounds once I hit adolescence. Now I'm 29, no kids (don't want any), and me & my SO of 12 years live in Massachusetts.

I blame my always climbing weight on 3 things: beer, birth control, and the fact that I never ever exercsied. I gained about 10 pounds a year, without fail. I never dieted, I felt like I was destined to be fat and said the hell with it, I'll enjoy myself then. (after talking with others about this issue, it's more common than I thought). The heaviest I got was 306. My dad is a type II diabetic who has lost quite a bit of weight but still doesn't control his insulin very well, my mom has heart disease and is very overweight. I didn't want to be them. I knew it was a matter of time before I had a heart attack or was diagnosed with diabetes.

So a light went off and one day I finally got sick of being so **** fat. April 1, 2002, I started Atkins and exercising. I started off with more cardio than weight training at first. But then I realized just how much I love lifting weights. So I kept adding to my routine. I decided I was gonna try Body For Life when I was about halfway to goal. So I did, that's when the weight lifting bug REALLY bit me! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have done 2 challenges, and recently decided to start doing my own mix of exercises.

I have a total of 106 pounds to lose before I'll even think of being content with my body, and I'm more concerned with the fat on it than what the scale says anyhow. I've lost 70 so far, and over 100 inches (don't have the exact # in front of me). I still feel like I'm only half way there though. It was fun reading your stories, thanks for sharing! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Gwindalyn should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

[ QUOTE ]
amandasmith911 said:
i am new and it seems there are several other new people here too.i would love to get to know every one better.so i thought if you all want we could tell each other a little about ourselves and how we got started lifting weights.

i am 26y old married mom of 2 boys.9years and 20 months.

i live in indiana in a small hick county.
i am a 3rd shift 911 dispatcher.

i needed to loose almost 100# and decided to do it.so i followed the example of all the other women in my hick county and i went on weight watchers and walked tons.i ate fat free everything.i lost over 70# that way,but have some sagging skin and i am sure muscle loss because of it.

i looked around at all these "skinny" women and decided that is not what i wanted to look like.and i also decided that i did not want to have to maintain my weightloss on very few calories like them.so i started reading and decided to clean up my diet,eat more protien and lift weights.most of my weight watcher friends think i am crazy.

so about 3 1/2 mothes ago i started lifting weights. three times a week i drag all my dumbbells,barbell,my step and what ever else i need out of my living room closet and i work out in my teeny tiny living room,usually with a child or two running around.and i absolutely love it.i wish i could go to a gym,but the nearest one is an hour away.

your turn,

amanda

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything about me is exactly identical to you except I'm 32 with no kids and I started out with 112lbs to lose. I lost 35, re-thought my goal...it was way too low...I'd have looked anorexic. With my new goal, I have 45 left to go. I'm even in a little hick county in Indiana and did the weight watchers thing and now I go to a gym that's 30 minutes away. ROFL! Small world. Oh, and I'm not a 911 dispatcher. Easiest way to describe what I do is business analyst.

There are Three things in life worth knowing: How to find information, How to laugh, and Who your friends are. Everything else is chaff upon the wind.

My Fitness Journal</font>
Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Bex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

This is a good idea.....Thanks! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am 31, married and have two children, 5mos and 5years (lights of my life!!!!). I have always been
very athletic, seems like I have been running since I was 12 years old and after college I quit for
about 3 years. I gained a good amount of weight, because I kept eating the same amount of
chow and wasn't expending near the energy I did while training. AFter my first daughter was
born in 97 I decided to get off my lazy butt and get going again. I started running and eventually
joined a gym. I immediately became a "cardio bunny." You name it, I did it....kick boxing, step,
spinning, etc..... I loved it so much I worked out 3times a day! I was the skinniest FAT chick in
town! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
A friend of mine talked me into training for a marathon...so I picked up a training schedule and
went to town on running again. Ran my first marathon in 2000 and did lousy! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] So, being the
competitor that I am....I began researching marathon training and low and behold I found out the
"secret" to competitive running......yep you guessed it! WEIGHT TRAINING!!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I began
to incorporate weights into my training (nothing to serious though, mostly legs and some arms).
My second marathon (5/2002) I placed first in my age category and 10th overall! I was thrilled and
ready for more....two weeks later.....found out I was pregnant with baby #2! I had my daughter
in January of this year and once again started to pick up running. I began surfing around the net
looking for info on running and weight training and stumbled into this site.... THANK GOD!!! Since
March I have been TRYING to follow the great advice I've read on here, although, the diet part is
kicking my butt! I have gone from 182 (delivery weight) to my present 138 at about 21% BF....this
is a STRONG guess.....I need to go get it measured. I can definitely see the muscles, just not as
much as I would like to! I know, don't say it....DIET. DIET, DIET!!!!! Anyway....some things I enjoy
doing include, running, weight training, water/snow skiing, camping, snowmobiling, 4-wheeling,
and hanging out with my WONDERFUL family! They are the best running partners! They ride the
bikes while I run....of course my dog goes too! I love em!!! I am so blessed to have such a
wonderful support system!!!!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:43 PM
maddie02anna should change his/her status!

Hi, I'm Heather. I am mother to a 5 yr old girl(6 in Aug). We live in a hick town in western PA with my boyfriend of 2 years. I am self employed -Transporation Broker, my boyfriend and I own it and it has been around almost 2 years.

I use to weigh 200lbs. I decided enough already after the birth of my daughter. I started out by being a cardio bunny as well. I walked, did taebo, and anything else cardio. I use to do it 2-3 times a day. I became aneorexic after I lost a bunch of weight and then started a new job and gained 10 of it back. I abused laxatives and exercised constantly and only consumed maybe 800 cal a day. Some really good friends, saved my butt from that road. I did start eating, but became obsessive about the fat and calories in my food. Still remained a cardio bunny. Coulnd't figure out for the life of me why I wasn't losing weight. Two years ago my life changed, I met my boyfriend, he was into lifting, he introduced me to lifting. I have not looked back since. I still did a lot of cardio until I found this site and my diet still sucked up until Feb of this year. My diet is so clean and my cardio is down 2 3 days a week, HITT. I love lifting and I recently started lifting heavy, what a feeling. I'm so glad I found this site, b/c I'd still be a cardio bunny if I hadn't. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:22 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Good idea!

I am Brazilian, 28 years old, married for 7 years, no kids yet but planning on trying in 2004 at the latest. I work for most of the day as a webmistress/PR assistant to the biggest diva in our country, but no, she is not *****y. I also teach English as a Foreign Language and I am an interpreter/translator. I also have a FitDay-like site which counts foods but in Portuguese. To summarize, in the words of my mom "you've never had a full-time job".

I always ate badly but I had never been overweight until my thyroid stopped working in 1999. I was always around 115-120lb at 5'2", which is a good weight but I was overfat, pear-shaped, and just fluffy in general, so I was always unhappy. The only time I weighed less was in my teens, when I applied my perfectionism to dieting and got down to 89lb. I ended up in the hospital and recovered. I used to exercise, but mostly cardio (swimming, ballet, figure skating, running, aerobics including the pink dumbbells kind of toning class).

So in 1999 I gained 115lb and went to 230lb. In April 2000 I was finally feeling better (the thyroid drugs were kicking in; I'd spent most of 99 in a daze because I was so tired all the time) and decided I had to do something. I started Atkins and joined a gym, doing cardio and weights. I felt terrible on the diet, then tried low-fat but the dietitian put me on 900 calories a day so most of my hair fell off in 1 month, and I thought "There has to be a better way", so I went out and bought Body For Life. I started doing the program, mostly the diet cause I already had a weights program.

Now after over 3 years, I've lost 109lb (lost more weight this week, freaky, I am eating 2,400 cals a day!) and at the last measuring, 30% bf (went from 48% to 18%).
Old 07-02-2003, 02:29 PM
kminutel should change his/her status!
Lightweight

This is a great post!

My name is Krista (hard to tell as it is in my signature). I am 34 single -still looking- and live in Delaware - yes that is a state just ask Krypto. I work for a large credit card company in our internet division and came across ABC on a random search and never left [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have struggled with my weight once I went to college. I was always think and could eat whatever I wanted and then it caught up to me. I gained the freshman 20 and could not get it off.

When I stared to work at my company one of the guys who worked for me got me back in the gym. I was always athletic in highschool but stopped in college. I loved it and started becoming adicted.

But after awhile my cardio only with little weights stopped working and then I found ABC. I love it here.

Welcome and again great post idea!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Workout2001 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I am a going to be 43 on Monday, married for 16 years, and have two daughters 15 and 13. I decided to start looking after my body when I turned 40, hence the name. I just had some surgery, so still unable to lift for another two weeks, but started back a gym and decided to become a cardio bunny till then. I have been lifting since 2001, and love the results I have been seeing. I had just completed the 12 week program from this site prior to the surgery. I am always working on loosing that last 10 lbs, but honestly due to diet have not. I am looking forward to getting serious, keeping my food journal, etc. I absolutely love this site. Read everday. Don't post much, a little shy, and most of my questions can be answered by doing a search or right now, following "tuf's" journal. It's great to meet everyone!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:38 PM
rhh should change his/her status!
Stranger

I'm 29, soon to be 30 in a few months (not married, kidless, yadda yadda yadda).

I've done the "fitness" thing in the past, usually overdoing the cardio. I lose weight fairly easy when doing cardio, but I never really thought about it until recently...what the heck else am I losing? Muscle? *gasp*

Then last summer I had some health problems, which includes muscle weakness (caused me to fall down a time or two in the last year). That's when I said I need to get STRONG...so the next time this illness rears its ugly head, I'm there to kick it's a$$, with some MUSCLE!

So although I like to look good, I am doing it for health in a big way!

Rebecca
Closed Thread