Just how many carbs? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 07:09 AM
mazz should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Just how many carbs?

I have been dieting/working out hard for roughly two months now and have seen some awesome changes. I have lost 19lbs and gained a nice amount of muscle and strength (My trainer can't even believe it). I do have one question (actually many but I will tackle this one for now): How many carbs is the correct amount? I currently weigh 145 and consume between 130 -160g/day. I was eating a lot less with more protein and fat but I was worried about health effects. Currently, I try to take in about 150g/day protein and between 30 - 40g/day fat. I want to lose more bodyfat (haven't measured it in awhile) and really don't know what to do with my diet. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I do eat the right things. I just don't think that I am eating the right combination.
Oatmeal, egg whites (getting sick of them), chicken, tuna, ton of veggies, two pieces of fruit daily, about 100oz of water, designer protein, beef, turkey.

I run about 3 miles every other day and split up my weight routine into four consecutive days with a day rest in between.

Mazz

PS. I have received some really great information from this forum and just want to say thanks. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Just how many carbs?

The amount of carbs really depends on how you feel. If you feel you have sufficient energy for your daily life and your workouts and you are still dropping weight, don't change. I'm sure eventually you will plateau in some way, then you may need to switch things up. But as the old saying goes, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I try to eat at a 40/30/30 ratio, and I use FitDay to track my food. (www.fitday.com) Yesterday was not a good example though, because I had too many carbs and not enough fat. I ended up at 40/42/18 when it was all said and done! Oops!

The 42% carbs represented 149g, which is within the range you mention but for me was too much yesterday. It all depends, too, on what my daily caloric goals are for any given day. That number will fluctuate based on the total calories I eat in a day. I do better with percentage formulas (ie, 40/30/30) than trying to figure out precise number of grams. That's why FitDay is so great. I plug in my planned food for the day each morning. That allows me to see if I'm off in any areas, then I can tweak it before the day gets too far away from me.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'm sure some of our more food savvy members will chime in soon! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 02:13 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Yep, it's purely individual, there is no "correct" amount of carbs. What is "correct" for one is NOT "correct" for another. Adjust according to how you feel and the progress you are making. It just depends on way too many factors, weight, LBM, training level, metabolism, etc. I've been doing right around a 35P/30C/35F and I'm not counting calories, so depending on how many calories I take in for the day, my carbs range anywhere from 120g to over 200g. My main thing is making sure I eat the correct KIND of carbs.
Closed Thread