what I'm doing is NOT working...ready for help - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Leanne should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default what I\'m doing is NOT working...ready for help

Ok, so I lurk here everyday, and have posted numerous times in the past. Lifting is my "strength" (no pun intended) as I love it. Where I am lacking is cardio - even though I religiously walk 2.5-3 miles daily, my 3x/wk real cardio is just never intense as I hate it! I figure it's time to open myself up for some help and support in reaching my goals.

The 13 wk diet. First of all, I know that many of you are working or have worked this diet, but I have yet to sit down and study it and formulate a plan from it. Which I can do and believe I should. I hear so much talk about maintenance calories. Has anyone broken this down into literal terms, putting the right foods at the right time? I can tell you that my maintenance calories are ummm....well, prolly way too low. I know there is no way I eat 2000 calories a day. While I'm not convinced that I need to consume 50-60 grams a good fat a day, I have been willing and have actually incorporated some flax and cream in my diet. I'm still a bit fatphobic, but when faced with sticking to the diet or cheating and the food choice is cheese or something sugary - I choose cheese. What I do know is this - fail to plan, plan to fail. I agree 100% and have tested this theory and lost 50 times! What I find is that I get bored within a week and the tiny cheats begin - which completely sabotage any deficit I've created. Seems like every Monday I'm starting over...taking 2 days to rid myself of excess water and bloat, along about Wednesday I'm feeling fit again only to have the cycle repeat itself. I have tremendous willpower, but can't seem to sustain it long enough to create and maintain the deficit needed to shed a few percentages of body fat.

Ok, I also know that what I'm doing as far as the diet/exercise thing, is not taking me where I want to be. I'm maintaining a decent body with some definition at about 20% body fat. So, the advice I would give myself is this - up the intensity of cardio 3x/wk by striving for a personal best with each session. Lifting - keep it up girl, you're doing great! Diet....uhhhh....that's why I'm here - for some advice and coaching and support about how to break the unconstructive cycle I've got going and to get where I want to be.

I know you'll want stats, etc so here goes.
A typical day's intake

M1: Myoplex Lite w/1T cream, betagen, 3 non-ephedra Hydroxycuts
M2: 1/2c Oatmeal or cream of wheat (w/1T brown sugar on it), 4 hard-boiled egg whites, 1 hard-boiled egg w/2T fat free ranch dressing
M3: Healthy Choice turkey & potato dinner
M4: 1c cottage cheese
and this is where I fall apart. I'm SICK of chicken but know it's a necessary evil. For dinner I'll have like a chicken breast, lean steak, lean hamburger patty, ham, and yam, or red potato, a decent dinner
M5: rarely, maybe some cottage cheese
always forget my 2nd and 3rd servings of betagen
M6: never, unless you count slices of cheese or whatever I can sneak down with a minimum of guilt.
Water: probably on average 50 ounces a day

Ok, so let me have it....the best of ABC's support group! Thank you!
http://members.fortunecity.com/bscdt.../Monica023.jpg
Old 04-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: what I\'m doing is NOT working...ready for help

Hi, Leanne! At first glance, I would suggest the following:

1. Add green veggies to your diet!
2. Get some EFAs--you mentioned flax and that is good. You could also add natural peanut butter, salmon, almonds, brazil nuts, etc.
3. Add more good fats to your meals in general (just not post-workout).
4. Make sure you are eating sweet potatoes.
5. Personally, I would lose the brown sugar at breakfast, but I don't know how much 1T in the morning would effect your body.
6. Track and experiment with your macronutrient ratios. Aim for somewhere around 50/30/20 - 40/30/30.
7. Add some oats or some other slow burning carbohydrate source to your first meal of the day.
8. I'm not familiar with the nutrition facts of your Healhty Choice dinner, but I would guess that it is full of sodium and preservatives.
9. Let us know what your overall calories are--they may be too low!
10. Try very hard to get all six meals in!

You could also start an online journal here for your diet and training--that way all of your triumphs (and mistakes [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) are public and our ABC friends can provide you with support and constructive criticism.

I am sure others here can give you some advice, but that is what I would do if I were you. Keep up the good training! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 04-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Bantamweight

Tuf, thank you. All very good advice. Got me thinking...I could work in a whole wheat natty peanut butter sandwich, couldn't I? Even better a multi-grain pb sandwich.

Question regarding nuts - can I have a serving of cashews as well as those you mentioned?

Thanks again...
Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Mr. Universe

Leanne, yes I think a peanut butter sandwich would be a good idea; however, the protein in peanut butter is not complete. I would suggest adding to that meal something like cottage cheese, tuna or chicken (I know! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). If you do have bread (a sandwich), I would suggest consuming it in one of your first three meals of the day (unless you workout late). Also, look for a bread with high protein and fiber with no/minimal sugar.

As for cashews, I have seen others on this site who eat unsalted cashews, but they are considered to be a poor source of EFAs. If you are looking to consume your EFAs via nuts, I would suggest almonds, brazil nuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or walnuts.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 04-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Bantamweight

Tuf, thanks again...I appreciate it. A pb sandwich with some cottage cheese almost doesn't sound like eating clean! It actually sounds good!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Mr. Universe

Leanne,

You're welcome! Just an FYI: some people advocate an approach that exludes dairy and bread while cutting. Personally, I do not eliminate foods until I believe that my current plan is not working.
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 04-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Bantamweight

Point taken.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:19 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Leanne, it sounds as thoough tuf has given you great advice. There are a few things I would like to add.

1. Definitely add EFA's to your meal plan. Your plan is very low fat and you aren't eating fish of any sort. Your body needs fat, just the right kind of fat.

2. Again, try very hard to eat every 2.5 to 3 hrs. your body needs to know it won't starve, once it figures this out, it will up your metabolism.

3. Load your complex carbs in the first three meals, add veggies, like tuf said, to ALL your meals.

4. Yes, up the intensity of your workouts. Not just the cardio. I wouldn't recommend adding time but up the speed to your walking, do hills, intervals etc. Something you haven't tryed before, shock your body.

5. It sounds as though you don't have clear goals as to where you want to be. Set a goal as to what you want your body to achieve and set a time limit. Dedication is the persistance of will power. Stay on track and MAKE yourself accomplish what you set out to do.

6. Lastly, experiment with new foods and find out about them. It's fun and you may find different foods you really enjoy.

Good luck
Closed Thread