chest press machine? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 06:53 PM
workinhard should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default chest press machine?

So, I've started my new routine. I'm lifting heavy and loving it! When I leave the gym I can't wait to go back!

The problem is I don't have a training partner so it's tough for me to lift to failure on free weights. When doing chest, is the chest press machine the same as the barbell flat bench press? Would I be better off lifting to failure on the machine or going a little lighter and using the barbbell?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:01 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: chest press machine?

I don't have a spotter either, so on my free weight chest exercises I go as heavy as I feel comfortable, and just do my reps r-e-a-l-l-y slow. I'm not lifting as heavy as I know I'm capable of, but the slower pace still gets me to failure.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could still get a good chest workout with the machine. You just won't get the benefit of the ancilliary muscle work that comes with free weights. But the machine should still do a pretty good job targeting your chest.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Elle should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

...and switch it up with dumbbell presses! You can fail with those no prob...just drop the suckers!

Old 04-03-2003, 07:57 PM
RGianos is back at it again...
Middleweight

No way...no substitute for free weights, but better than nothing.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:30 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
schless said:...Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you could still get a good chest workout with the machine. You just won't get the benefit of the ancilliary muscle work that comes with free weights. But the machine should still do a pretty good job targeting your chest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Just remember to switch it up every so often, don't rely on just the machines. I haven't barbell benched pressed in a LONG time, since before hubby deployed, for the same reason, no spotter. Hubby and I were on different lifting schedules. So what I've been doing, is switching between dumbbells and machine work. I utilize the smith machine as well as other machines for my chest work alternating between the machines and dumbbells.
Closed Thread