Am I Healthy, or am I Not? They told me once, but I forgot?...... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Braidyn should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Am I Healthy, or am I Not? They told me once, but I forgot?......

Hey girls, I've devised a diet for myself to follow in order to burn some fat and gain some serious muscle. I'm pretty confident in with it, but would love some feedback from some of you more experienced experts out there! Any advice would be muchly appreciated (and considered!)

Meal 1 (breakfast)
1/2 c egg whites
1/4 c 1% cottage cheese
1/2 c oatmeal
1 tsp Udo's Oil

Meal 2 (post workout)
1 scoop whey protein shake
or
on a non weight lifting day, 1/2 cottage cheese

Meal 3 (lunch)
1 small yam
1 c steamed veggies (usually carrots and peas)
1 chicken breast
1 tsp Udo's oil

Meal 4
1/2 - 3/4 c egg whites
1/4 c cottage cheese

Meal 5 (dinner)
same as lunch, without the yam
or
1/2 egg whites with veggies and 1 tep udo's

Before bed,
1 tsp no sugar, no salt pb with 1 tsp nuta (walnuts,
pecans, almonds)
I also usually have a fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding mixed with water instead of milk, sometime during the day.

So that's that! I'd love any of your opinions! This place is so great for support, Braidyn in the Peg
Old 03-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Source 101 should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Am I Healthy, or am I Not? They told me once, but I forgot?......

Hi Braidyn,
I'm a guy so I hope you don't mind me making some comments on your diet [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Meal 1 (breakfast)
1/2 c egg whites
1/4 c 1% cottage cheese
1/2 c oatmeal
1 tsp Udo's Oil
Good

Meal 2 (post workout)
1 scoop whey protein shake
or
on a non weight lifting day, 1/2 cottage cheese
Around 50% of the protein from your shake will be converted to glucose after weight training. In other words, the protein is not allowed to do it's job. I'm a big believer in spiking insulin after weight training, even on a cut. You don't have to go crazy with the sugar. Just add a moderate amount of simple carbs into your shake to stop catobolism, restore glycogen and keep that metabolism reved up. There is no way that a moderate amount of simple carbs will be stored as fat after an intense weight training session. I suggest starting with around 20 grams of simple carbs(liquid or powder form is most optimal). Obviously the amount of carbs and protein you consume postworkout will depend on your stats and intensity of training. It's up to you to experiment with the amounts and see what works best for you. Some people say that a postworkout spike halts fat burning. Personally, I think that's a bunch of horse poo. I gurantee that the spike will help you in dropping fat in the long run as long as you stick to your meals for the rest of the day and control blood sugar and insulin levels.
(I will post a quote by Oldschool once I find it)
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Meal 3 (lunch)
1 small yam
1 c steamed veggies (usually carrots and peas)
1 chicken breast
1 tsp Udo's oil
Good, but carrots and peas are all sugar. Green, fiberous vegetables such as broccoli or spinich would be a better choice. Sorry, I know I'm annoying and picky[img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Meal 4
1/2 - 3/4 c egg whites
1/4 c cottage cheese
Once again you always want to protect the protein and let it do it's job. I would add some efa, and some fiberous vegetables in this meal

Meal 5 (dinner)
same as lunch, without the yam
or
1/2 egg whites with veggies and 1 tep udo's
Great

Before bed,
1 tsp no sugar, no salt pb with 1 tsp nuta (walnuts,
pecans, almonds)
I also usually have a fat free, sugar free chocolate pudding mixed with water instead of milk, sometime during the day.
Good. This is a good time for some slow digesting casein protein like cottage cheese. Can I have some of that pudding? I've never heard of sugar free chocolate pudding before [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Overall your diet is great!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Here's what I was talking about.

Originally posted by the man himself....keepin it Oldschool

Following a hard workout, your body is severely depleted of glycogen and glucose. When these get depleted the "muscle-eating" hormone, cortisol is released!
Cortisol creates energy by eating up muscle tissue for proteins and converting them into glucose. This is a protective mechanism to ensure that the body has a supply of energy in times of danger. A process called gluconeogenesis gets under way and produces glucose from these amino acids in the liver. The result is a loss in muscle!
The reason we induce the insulin spike it to rebound our bodies into producing anabolic hormones to counteract the cortisol build-up that takes place post workout. This inturn also creates a burst of GH release.
Insuling and GH both work to increase protein synthesis in combination with several other natural occurring hormones. In fact, insulin rebound is required for the release of GH, which in turn releases IGF. It should also be noted once again that synthesis will not be able to occur if there is not a sufficient supply of calories or free amino acid pools. Protein supplements with some added simple carbs, taken post-exercise, while insulin, growth hormone (GH), IGF, pineal and thymic factors are released, aids in creating a positive environment during recovery by further increasing these hormone levels.
Adding high glycemic carbohydrates causes increased insulin production, which further increases GH release, which in further increases the release of IGF. These increases then further increase protein synthesis.
On a cut you don't need a large insulin spike to induce the anabolic response. Especially if you're eating clean and your insulin sensitivity is high. But on a cut, you are already calorie deficient. So you are already more prone to lose muscle. I feel a low-to-moderate spike is beneficial.

Somebody hand me a tissue.
This kind of priceless info brings a tear to my eye.

Old 03-30-2003, 11:26 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

We love the Source!

*Ender hands ya a tissue*
Old 03-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
enderwigginout said:
We love the Source!

*Ender hands ya a tissue*

[/ QUOTE ]

I got love for all my fam here at ABC

Thanks for the tissue......

hehe!!

Old 03-30-2003, 02:47 PM
librazone should change his/her status!
Middleweight

My cutting diet was the following.
Diet:Tuna,chicken breast,lean steak,oatmeal,all fruits and vegetables,supp,Absolutely no dairy and at most two slices whole wheat bread per day.No other wheat products.
Training as usual.Cardio once a week 5 miles at 7 min/mile pace.
I was losing 1.5 pounds of fat per week with almost no muscle loss.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Braidyn should change his/her status!
Stranger

okay, great, thanks for all the advice, so much appreciated. No, I dont mind you being "extra picky"...spare nothing! It's simply "constructive criticism", if you didn't offer it, I'd get nowhere!

So, I should be adding some carbs right after a workout. I use to have an apple or orange afterwards, but I recently read the 13 weeks to ultimate fat burning, and have since cut out the apple (only temporarily mind you...I could sooner give up desserts permanently before giving up fruit, I'm a self confessed fruit junky....) Would 1/4 - 1/3 c oats added to my shake do the trick??

As for adding efa's in the 4th meal, would another tsp of pb with nuts be okay??

Thanks for your help! and from the bathroom too, that's what I call multi-tasking.....Braidyn
Old 03-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Super-Heavyweight

A tablespoon of peanut butter or some nuts is perfectly fine for meal 4.

I was suggesting that you consume some simple carbs in powder or liquid form with your whey protein shake after lifting. Oatmeal takes too long to digest. Save the oatmeal for meal 3. You can alternate between the yam and oatmeal as a source of complex carbs in this meal.
I don't know how hard you train or the intensity level of your workouts but you have to feed your muscles asap if you bust your butt when you lift. Consuming simple carbs is uncessary for people who just go through the motions when they hit the weights. IMO, you have to consume some simple carbs postworkout if you lift hard, even when you're trying to drop bodyfat. I know that some people will disagree with me but hey...we're all different.
I think there was a post not too long ago on postworkout carbs in the woman's forum. Maybe you could read that and it will help you make up your mind.
[ QUOTE ]
Braidyn said:
Thanks for your help! and from the bathroom too, that's what I call multi-tasking.....Braidyn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup....I use a lap top

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 11:21 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
Source 101 said:
... You don't have to go crazy with the sugar. Just add a moderate amount of simple carbs into your shake to stop catobolism, restore glycogen and keep that metabolism reved up. There is no way that a moderate amount of simple carbs will be stored as fat after an intense weight training session. I suggest starting with around 20 grams of simple carbs(liquid or powder form is most optimal). Obviously the amount of carbs and protein you consume postworkout will depend on your stats and intensity of training. It's up to you to experiment with the amounts and see what works best for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">I agree with that part. But big emphasis on NOT going crazy with the simple carbs. And it's probably not as much as most people would think.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
Some people say that a postworkout spike halts fat burning. Personally, I think that's a bunch of horse poo. I gurantee that the spike will help you in dropping fat in the long run as long as you stick to your meals for the rest of the day and control blood sugar and insulin levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">However I disagree with this. And I have done my homework on the subject. I have researched the function of insulin both on the internet and in two books I have.

See below:</font>

<font color="purple">Insulin stimulates the liver to store glucose in the form of glycogen. A large fraction of glucose absorbed from the small intestine is immediately taken up by hepatocytes, which convert it into the storage polymer glycogen.
A well-known effect of insulin is to decrease the concentration of glucose in blood, which should make sense considering the mechanisms described above. Another important consideration is that, as blood glucose concentrations fall, insulin secretion ceases.In the absence of insulin, a bulk of the cells in the body become unable to take up glucose, and begin a switch to using alternative fuels like fatty acids for energy. Neurons, however, require a constant supply of glucose, which in the short term, is provided from glycogen reserves.
In the absence of insulin, glycogen synthesis in the liver ceases and enzymes responsible for breakdown of glycogen become active. Glycogen breakdown is stimulated not only by the absence of insulin, but by the presence of glucagon, which is secreted when blood glucose levels fall below the normal range.

Insulin also effects lipid storage as well. Insulin is stimulatory to synthesis of glycogen in the liver. However, as glycogen accumulates to high levels (roughly 5% of liver mass), further synthesis is strongly suppressed.
When the liver is saturated with glycogen, any additional glucose taken up by hepatocytes is shunted into pathways leading to synthesis of fatty acids, which are exported from the liver as lipoproteins. The lipoproteins are ripped apart in the circulation, providing free fatty acids for use in other tissues, including adipocytes, which use them to synthesize triglycerides. Insulin inhibits breakdown of fat in adipose tissue by inhibiting the intracellular lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides to release fatty acids. Insulin facilitates entry of glucose into adipocytes, and within those cells, glucose can be used to synthesize glycerol. This glycerol, along with the fatty acids delivered from the liver, is used to synthesize triglyceride within the adipocyte. By these mechanisms, insulin is involved in further accumulation of triglyceride in fat cells. This is why high insulin levels leads to the storage of adipose tissue.</font>

<font color="green">And for the good news, confirming the points I agree with you on:</font>

<font color="purple">Now for the good news. In addition to insulin's effect on entry of glucose into cells, it also stimulates the uptake of amino acids. This is the reason bodybuilders use insulin.
Insulin exerts its dramatic anabolic effect by inhibiting muscle breakdown/degradation. This process is believed to occur by the inhibition of the ubqitin-proteasome pathway (one of three major muscle degradation pathways in muscle cells), but once again, little is known about the cellular mechanisms by which insulin exerts this anti-catabolic action. Research does show that the introduction of insulin stops proteolysis (muscle breakdown) and while insulin is driving amino acids and glucose into muscle cells, it appears it also prevents the leakage of these nutrients from the muscle cells that usually occur in response to training. Absence of insulin or allowing insulin levels to drop is the fastest, easiest way to induce muscle protein breakdown (catabolism).</font>

<font color="green">So that's where I'm coming from. Also, I have done some research on insulin resistance. When a person is insulin resistant, it means that their cells have been desensitized at least to some extent to the effects of insulin, so their uptake of crucial amino acids is hampered. And incidentally, studies have shown that a high percentage of obese people ARE insulin resistant. So, that being the case, I myself, as a personal trainer (someday), would NOT advocate for an obese person to partake in a high amount of simple carbs post workout. And also, believing that I myself am also at least somewhat insulin resistant, is why I also do not do the post workout insulin spike. And again, this is due to the research I have done. If OldSchool comes up with more studies and evidence which would persuade me to do otherwise, I will certainly keep an open mind to that.

But so far from my research, I do not agree with a post workout insulin spike for someone looking to lose fat, ESPECIALLY if they are overweight. And again this is something that depends on the person, each individual should do what works best for them but I am hard pressed to advocate post insulin spikes for those cutting. It's a trade off really, depends on what you want to prioritize. Definitely for someone wanting to put on mass, go for the spike. But I also believe that post workout, your muscle cells are so darn sensitive anyway, that ANYTHING you eat will be taken up quite efficiently by the muscle cells, you just might want something not too slow digesting, (one reason to omit fat) in order to stop the catabolization immediately but I really don't feel that pure sugar is necessary.</font>
Old 03-30-2003, 11:39 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Found more...

<font color="purple">Insulin limits the use of fat as a fuel source

Some evidence that this is the case comes from a recent study completed at England's Loughborough University. Eight subjects were given either a high or low GI meal 3 hours prior to exercise. Each meal contained identical amounts of protein, carbohydrate and fat. Insulin levels following the high GI meal increased by a massive 1000% after just 15 minutes.
After the low GI meal, insulin levels did increase, but only by between 80 and 160%. In the three hours after eating, subjects consuming the low GI meal burned almost 70% more fat than their high GI counterparts. This trend continued into the exercise session, where fat oxidation was 118% higher in subjects consuming the low GI meal.

In simple terms, a high GI food increases the production of insulin. And the more insulin you produce, the less fat you burn.

How does insulin encourage the storage of body fat?

And (why CLA works, it blocks Lipoprotein lipase)

Insulin increases the activity of lipoprotein lipase (LPL), an enzyme which promotes fat storage in muscle and adipose tissue. Insulin also inhibits the action of hormone sensitive lipase, the enzyme responsible for the mobilization of free fatty acids. Simply put, high levels of insulin make it less likely that your body will use stored fat as a fuel source.</font>

Also, Beverly International has produced numerous top placing natural bodybuilders through their diets which do not advocate post workout insulin spikes. Just another tidbit of info. They have helped numerous natural bodybuilders put on mass as well as losing bodyfat and I know for a fact they do not advocate post workout sugar. Again, just a bit more to back up why I feel the way I do (I've seen the results as evidenced by the athletes themselves). Sicily1962 for example, is a Beverly International client and I have read about her progress, seen her photos, I'm sure she would agree with me as well about post workout sugar. Again, just saying I personally don't believe in it, each individual must decide for himself what works best.

But I felt I needed to state my side of the case, since we have more than one person advising on diets, and I want everyone to know why I advise the way I do. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Closed Thread