Things are moving the wrong way!!! Help!! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:52 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Things are moving the wrong way!!! Help!!

Okay,

So I've been following the 13 week workout (I'm on week 3), cut down on my cadio from an hour 5x/ week to 2 20 min HIIT sessions and one or two 30-35 min slower sessions, kept track of my diet, and not gotten on the scale for a few weeks. Got on the scale this morning and I'm 3 lbs. heavier than when I started (now 145!). My goal is 133-135 by May when we go on a Caribbean cruise! I'd like to think this is muscle, but the mirror tells me otherwise (plus this is supposed to be a fat burning workout, not a bulk!!). I'm posting my link to Fitday. Would someone please review my diet and help me tease out the problem? I have figured my maintenance cals to be between 2100-2200 depending on the method I use, so my goal is 1800 cals/day with a 40/30/30 split. I know I have been a little over my goal each day, that's me trying to slowly wean myself from junk and avoid a binge, but I didn't think it was enough to GAIN weight!! The only other thought I have is that I'm going to have to start measuring EVERYTHING (I do for most stuff, but like salad and vegetables, sugar free jam, etc... I just guesstimate) and counting things like crystal light, the sugar free gum I chew which does have calories, and the "no cal" butter spray I put on my veggies (I know there has to be SOME calories in there) and cut down on the PB. I DO eat an awful lot of PB but it is practically the only source of fat I get except what naturally occurs in food, and it hasn't skewed my ratios for macros so I thought it was okay, but maybe..... I'm really frustrated right now and trying not to panic. Can someone please be the voice of reason (or knowledge, or even experience) for me?! Here is the link to my Fitday account:
Fitday homepage

I'm not sure I have the link thing down so if it doesn't work let me know how I can fix it. Thanks in advance!

Lifterchick
Old 03-12-2003, 09:21 AM
pasha should change his/her status!

Default Re: Things are moving the wrong way!!! Help!!

hi there,
just read your diet on fitday and what first comes to mind is; cut out the pb and gatorade for a while. come down with your calories a little bit and start to cycle your carb intake:
monday=medium 120 grams
tuesady=low 80 grams
wednesday=high 160 grams
thursday=medium 120 grams
friday=low 80 grams
saturday=high 160 grams
sunday=low/medium 100 grams
keep your protein in the 160 gram range. believe me, this works wonders. i always do that precontest.
how many times do you lift? and do you get your body fat measured? if not, do that. forget the scale. also measure your waist, hips and thighs like every two weeks or so.
maybe you really just put on muscle and can't trust the mirror anymore.
and hey, cruise: vast amounts of food available 24/7...
good luck!!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Middleweight

Hi pasha,
Thanks for the quick response. I am lifting on a three day split according to the 13 week program, but actually probably lift 4x/week. The gatorade in my diet is with the post workout shake for an insulin spike, so I thought that was doing me some good, but yeah, I agree about the PB. Maybe I'll have to reevaluate the gatorade, I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point. I know I need to get a handle on the carb cycling now that I am getting better at using fitday and playing with my macros instead of just counting calories. That would probably help, too.

I haven't had my BF measured by calipers since July. It was 18% then, but I was 5-7 lbs. lighter, too. My measurements have gone up- that was the first thing I did this morning after I got on the scale. My hips are up about an inch (from July) and my thighs are up about 3/4 inch. And it jiggles, YUCK[img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]!!

Do you see things in my diet that I shouldn't have on a cut, or is it more a question of volume control? Also, what about the cardio? I realize I didn't put my activities into Fitday, but I'm really confused about the pro's and cons of cardio, like am I doing enough or too much????

I'm not as worried about what I'll eat while on the cruise as I am about what I'll eat in the weeks beforehand! The last time I went on a cruise I was able to eat very healthy and actually lost a pound or two that week- lots of shrimp and vegetables everywhere!!!

On a lighter note- that's cool that you compete. What competitions have you done, and what are your goals? Do you have any tricks for appetite control and tricking your body into feeling full? Thanks again for your response.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:27 AM
GoMom should change his/her status!
Rookie

How are your workouts? Are you feeling fresh? Are you hungry?
Are you near your time of the month? I dont see why adding one more intense cardio 20-30 would hurt, on your non lift days, IF you arent burnt out......As for post workout drink, I usually drink a juice box type thing-very high sucrose to get the protein in- so your Gatorade is ok, I prefer a more sugary drink for after. Are you challenging yourself in the gym? I know these are a lot of questions, but I believe sometimes that asking a lot of questions sometimes weasels out the solution! Somebodys signature includes something about burning the scale cause Satan is in there!! Maybe you should put the scale in the closet!! lol!! chin up girl!! your doing great!!
Jesus said to her."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord," she told Him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
John 11:25-27 NIV

Old 03-12-2003, 11:42 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Gee, I think your diet looks pretty good. Some days are a bit low, but you balance it out with higher days for a seemingly good caloric intake overall. Might be a bit too heavy on the PB and jam, but otherwise I think it looks fine. The carb cycling may help, and do you limit yourself to green leafy carbs for your last two meals? Otherwise, I'm as stumped as you!

I imagine Krypto will shed some light shortly!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Middleweight

Thanks for your observations, and GoMom, don't be sorry for the questions, they're all good ones and I appreciate the help!!!

My workouts are pretty good, I think. Since starting the 13 week program, I've had to play around a bit to reach failure, but I've coerced my son into spotting me with exercises I was nervous about, so I've pretty much gotten there, maybe just took a few extra reps. I'm working on that one.

As far as how I feel outside the gym, I'm tired but not exhausted, and I do get pretty hungry about 2-3 hrs. after I eat. I've just finished TTOTM, the water bloat is usually gone by this point so I can't really blame it on that. I have been trying to limit my carbs to fibrous and leafy greens after meal 3. I was eating a sweet potatoe every day in addition to oatmeal for my starchy carbs, but then realized it pushed my carbs over the limit for the final ratio. Now I'm sticking with frozen mixed veggies.

I guess I'm questioning whether or not I truly want to be lifting as heavy as I am. I'm really quite happy with the amount of muscle I have right now. My legs are very thick, and I've got the ghetto booty [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. Although my legs have a layer of unwanted cellulite, if I flex and pose with the lights low (to hide the cottage cheese effect) I really like the silhouette I see- nice shape under there somewhere. And my upper body has finally managed to pick up some mass to balance me out a bit (my very first post on ABC was something like "how do I lose the fat on my lower body without looking like the walking dead from the waist up, lol!). My back has always been my strong point- my trainer used to tell me that I have a "show back". I really just need to strip away this fat to see where I am, then decide to bulk or maintain from there.

A quick question about carb cycling. Does this work with or independently from calorie cycling? In other words, on low carb days do I just tough it out and eat lower calories, or do I increase protein and/or fat to maintain cals but keep the carbs down?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:18 PM
GoMom should change his/her status!
Rookie

I dont know much about carb cycling. But if you are hungry 2-3 after eating, are you eating again...? An excellent protein source, starchy carb and some greens. Krypto is rubbing off on me...! Drinking lots of water? I know I dont, and that is way important! I know this sounds lame, but what is ghetto booty? lol! I am a chicken farmer...! I am outa touch! hahaha!
Jesus said to her."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord," she told Him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
John 11:25-27 NIV

Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 PM
a-folov should change his/her status!
National Champion

Just by looking at your yesterday's entry:
Calories eaten: 1691
Calories burned: 2603

I see a big problem there.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
GoMom said: I know this sounds lame, but what is ghetto booty? lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice and round, like Jennifer Lopez's!
Old 03-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I gained 6lbs since I quit my cardio in one months time. But mine was due to some LBM - cuz I was lifting heavy when while I cut it out [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will know for sure when I take my caliper test on March 20th.

I am now up to 1800 calories:
Meal 1: 35P, 25C, 12F
Meal 2: 35P, 5C, 12F
Meal 3: 35P, 25C, 12F
Meal 4: 35P, 5C, 12F
Meal 5: 35P, 10C, 12F

My point, drop the cardio and regulate your metabolism. Then you can tweak it as you go and add cardio later when you start making the gains [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was doing HIIT 3-4x a week for 40 minute sessions for 5months. Then I came here and got informed on diet and cardio. Trust me - I went NOWHERE and hindered all my gains by doing cardio before lifting (learned 4 months later s/b doing it "after" lifting) I just started doing
1 HIIT 30min and another cardio like swimming (legs only/backstroke 6 laps) or Lifecycle 9500/Level 11 for 30 min. session.

I am glad I did this (I was nervous during the whole ordeal! ask Krypto because my body composition is totally changing now [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]