Intimidated and frustrated... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:48 PM
workinhard should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Intimidated and frustrated...

I've been taking some weight training classes at my gym but now I'm ready to move on and start REALLY working out with free weights. The problem is, I don't know anyone that works out at my gym and they are understaffed and have told me there is no one that can come to the weight room and answer my questions if I don't know how to use a machine or want to make sure I'm using the proper form. Is this normal?? I'm not crazy about my gym but it's affordable, I guess that's what I get.
I really don't want to have to hire a trainer and spend the money. I'm a bit intimidated to ask others working out at the gym for their advice because I don't want to interupt their workout. Is it rude to ask others in the gym how to use machines or is it pretty common?
Another quick question...how much do the straight bars weigh?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:19 PM
blaze1 should change his/her status!

Default Re: Intimidated and frustrated...

Whats up man I was in the same situation as you recently because I am also new to the gym. Basically what I did was observed everyone that was doing the exercises that I wanted to do and especially watched what the people whos size were my goals did. Asking people how to do things is ok but a lot of people that go to the gym are not very helpful I find. Thats why I came here!!! Lastly I think the straight bar weighs 45lbs. Thats how much it weighs at my gym.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:27 PM
MaxC should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Why don't you hire a trainer for just a few sessions and then you'll be off and running. Also spend some time here and learn a ton.

Standard Olympic barbell is 45 lbs.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:47 PM
LivingSacrifice should change his/her status!

I am a male posting here, generally, in my experience, observe the female gender ,not the guys, when it comes to proper form on weights. I have never seen a female do "body rock" arm curls, "lat yank downs", or the rear leaving the seat of a machine at each rep like guys. There is a website with exercise video clips that may help. The Ministry of Fitness I like the clips.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:16 PM
workinhard should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Thanks everyone! I probably will end up hiring a trainer for a few sessions to get on track, that's probably the best thing.
LivnigSacrifice - thanks for the website, love it! It's just what I needed!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:27 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Man, that stinks about your gym. Sounds like a ripoff to me, or a scam to try to force you to use a personal trainer.

You can also check out the exercise tab above on this site. Most, if not all, of the exercises listed have video to show you the proper movement/form.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:16 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Did you all forget about the exercise section right here on Abc?! If you will go into the exercise section (blue tabs up top) you can click on any of the exercises listed (and there are TONS of them for each muscle group) and it gives you a worded description of the exercise as well as an animated illustration to SHOW you how to properly perform the exercise. Abc is its own best resource! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 01:47 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
*********** said:
Did you all forget about the exercise section right here on Abc?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, not me! See my post right above you! I know where the best place is to go for the answers! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

My gym was the same way. The Y. They have personal trainers but it took me 5 weeks to get anyone to talk to me and then I HAD to go to the office after leaving several messages and waiting patiently thinking they were busy [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, I went to a trainer/competitor in my area and spent 10 days learning to lift properly/form, different types of sets, and routines. He competes, so I felt he was best to show me the ropes. It was lucky for me, I happen to live near one. I was really getting frustrated with no help too.

It cost me $35 session, Where a personal trainer (just ISSA certified) would charge $60-$120 HR!

And to comment on the websites, they are great. I think that doing them in front of the mirror helps too to look at your form.

But bottom line, it's not the same as someone showing you.

P.S. Plus, I am the only woman lifting - so talk about intimidating...but as I continue to go, my confidence grows [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2003, 04:53 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
schless said:
Hey, not me! See my post right above you! I know where the best place is to go for the answers! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! I can't believe I missed that! And I thought I had read ALL the posts!

Anyway, that's cool. A lot of people forget about that exercise section. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Closed Thread