Efficient Women's Leg Workout - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:00 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Efficient Women\'s Leg Workout

Alright, I've been doing this for a while (6 mos.) and I was wondering the most efficient way to lean out legs. And, yes I know you can't spot reduce [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But, I was told overtraining them leads to bulkiness as well (pear shape roundness). Anyone have any ideas as to what is right?

My routine consists of deep single leg squats, leg press, hammer hams, seated leg press, seated hams, calf raises and the 45 degree leg press. I do them every 5th day of splits (I've read to let rest for 5 days for optimum results).

Anyway, your input is appreciated guyz (gals [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Efficient Women\'s Leg Workout

There is no difference between "womens workouts" and "mens workouts"
Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 03-28-2003, 10:38 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hmmmm.....I can't answer your question per se, but I can tell you what I do and that I like the way my legs look. I change my routine every 4-6 wks, but here's what it looks like now:

- Squats
- Weighted Lunges
- Tibia (it's a plate-loaded apparatus that works the muscle to the outside of your shin bone)
- Leg Extensions
- Lying Leg Curls
- Seated Calf Raises
- Standing Calf Raises

I do this once a week. I'm sure others will chime in as the day goes on!
Old 03-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Bantamweight

Thanx, I really don't want bulk but tone up legs (I am still on diet tweaking-to get that straight 1st).

Once diet is straight, I will be adding more cardio (dropped it totally and now only do 1-2 days) to kick-up metabolism again.

I just read in the "workouts" legs section that squats are the best thing, so I guess maybe I will dump one of my leg press machines and concentrate on squats and lunges (works entire leg muscles).

I just read the enderwiggin has reached her squat goal! OMG I haven't even tried those yet!!

I do 2-4 sets on several machines, so I'm thinking maybe to cut back on leg day & do 2-3 concentrated leg excercises, like squats/lunges.

Thanx again, I appreciate it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 04:56 PM
NC should change his/her status!

Default your opinion please..

Hi schless. I wanted to ask you about what you thought of my leg routine. I've been doing this for sometime now, adding maybe one or two different exercises for a change from the regular norm.
My height 4'10"
My weight 90 lbs
My BF - i have no clue !
my leg routines generally goes like this

45 degree angle leg press- i start out with 200lbs. then on my second and third set i increase the weight with those 5lb discs. I can only about 3-4 sets MAX...by then my tighs are nice and tight. In the first set i try to do about 12-13 reps. BY the second and third i can't get more than 8-9 done.

Seated leg curls- i do 3 sets once again. I start out using 55lbs and then kick it up to 60 lbs for the 2nd and third set. Is doing seated legs the same as lying leg curls. Gosh, this is sooooo embarassing to say the reason why i ask is becasue i ahemm...don't exaclty fit on the lying leg curls machine [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Once again my reps are the same as above

Leg extensions- 3 sets. I start out with 90lbs and then add 5 lbs for the 2nd and 3rd set.

Roman dead lift- i do 3 sets of the same weight 30 lbs. 10 reps each set

reverse lunge- my NEW FAVOURITE ! 3 sets in total. I start out using the 17.5 lb dumbells and then move onto using 20lbs for the last two sets. 10 reps on each leg

seated calf raises- 3 sets. I start out with 140lbs, then for my second ad third set i increases the wieght by 5 lbs.

Standing calf raises- i try to do 2 sets. By this point my legs are SORE..heheh, either that or i'm just a big woose ! I only use the 10 lb disc in one hand and do the exercise.

I haven't done squats in hmmm...quite a while. I used to use the machine a while back...but haven't in sometime.

Right now I LOVE reverse lunges for some reason. Once in a while I do walking lunges....and that's about it as far as my leg workout goes....what do you think i need to change/ do, if any. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2003, 07:15 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: your opinion please..

Hi NC! Your workout looks OK to me, but I'm always hesitant to comment on other people's routines because we're all so different. So I'll tell you what I do and you can go from there.

First, to answer your question about seated leg curls, yes, it's pretty much the same as the lying ones. You're working the same muscle, just in a slightly different way. So if you can't use the lying machine, don't worry about it. Does your gym have a standing leg curl machine? That would give you some variety.

As far as sets/reps go, I lift heavy and try to go to failure each time. Sometimes I'll underestimate myself and start too light then have to bump it up to get to failure. I start with a warmup set of 12-15 reps, and I do three working sets. On my working sets I pyramid the weight up so that I fail at around 10/8/6 on sets 1/2/3 consecutively. Sounds like you're doing something similar.

Another thing I do is change my routine up every 4-6 wks. That gives me enough time to get in a groove with a certain routine and get some good work done, and then the change shocks my muscles and stimulates additional growth (and keeps me from getting bored).

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure others will jump in here too who are more knowledgeable than I!

And welcome to ABC by the way! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Jericho should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

[ QUOTE ]
bombflower said:
There is no difference between "womens workouts" and "mens workouts"

[/ QUOTE ]

What she said. I'd add in some leg extensions after the squats. They're great for getting some definition in your quads (thighs).

"Overtraining", while bad, won't lead to excessive bulkiness. It just won't do anything.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Bantamweight

But, wait....maybe I was totally unclear in my post.

I know there is no difference in women's and men's lifting. But "certain exercises" like leg press, do add more "mass" to leg muscles rather than "toning" depending on weight used. There "are" differences in toning and mass building exercises.

That is what I am trying to re-evealuate in my routine. I do many leg presses (heavy) at low rep ranges till failure.

So I was thinking I should reduce weights and increase reps to avoid that.

Opinions........