I Did It! I Reached My First Goal! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 01:16 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default I Did It! I Reached My First Goal!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] 135# on Squats Baby! Weeeeeeee! I squated my own body weight! I put the 45# plates up! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I thought it would take me longer though. This was supposed to be my goal for the entire 12 week period and I reached it in 6 weeks. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I got stares from at least two guys! Teehee...kinda like, she must be joking, is that little girl really gonna lift that much?!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] And I did! Muhahahaha...I'm sooooooo happy. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My form still has a tendency to go wonkie sometimes above 120 so I'm going to hold at 135 for my highest set and work on form for possibly two or more sessions and allow myself to move up when I can do 8x135 perfectly. Even one squat done out of wack can injure, so I want to be really careful from here on out.

I only have 5 or 6 weeks left for the 12 week program. Keeping in mind some of these sessions I'm working on form and it gets slower moving up the higher you go, I'm thinking a mini-goal of 155 in the next 6 weeks?

My eventual goal will be 225 cuz that's two 45# plates on each side!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:21 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: I Did It! I Reached My First Goal!

Way ta go girl! Keep up the great work!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:24 AM
Heavyweight

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yay! Thanx Krypto! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Mr. Punyverse should change his/her status!
Middleweight

huge!

I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like you. The only difference is that once my pants are on, I lift heavy weight.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Rugger should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
enderwigginout said:
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] 135# on Squats Baby! Weeeeeeee! I squated my own body weight! I put the 45# plates up! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I got stares from at least two guys! Teehee...kinda like, she must be joking, is that little girl really gonna lift that much?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratz on hitting your goal!
Bet you'll be getting even more stares when you put those 45's on a bar and start benching it... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 03:22 AM
NC should change his/her status!

Alrightttt....way daaaaa gooo !!!! I've never tried using the squat bar...i've used the machine..not the actual bar to any kind of squat/leg exercises.
I remember once when a female personal trainer complimented me on how high i was able to step up on those step thingys(step aerobics steps). I generally use 8 layers and then the final board accross. I used to do 3 sets of 10 reps of step ups with a 18lb bar across my back. Considering that I'm 4'10", the personal trainer said the steps were taller than me...and she was impressed I was able to lift my body weight up all the way...hehhehe...YIPEEEEE !!!!
Keep up the great work.....make those heads turn at the gym..he he he he !!!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:44 AM
Heavyweight

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Holy crap NC! I'm impressed! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Personally I <font color="red">LOVE</font> squats. They are my favorite exercise of all!

Of course, I start deadlifts with low, low weight in another three weeks, so I could change my tune and find a new favorite!

Next week I go back to the barbell bench press, so I'm hoping to have improved from my 3 weeks with the dumbbells. I love them too I'm just really really bad at them. I could barely lift the bar last time. I think its going to be a long time before I can put those 45 plates up and bench press the sucker though!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:20 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
NC said:
I remember once when a female personal trainer complimented me on how high i was able to step up on those step thingys(step aerobics steps). I generally use 8 layers and then the final board accross. I used to do 3 sets of 10 reps of step ups with a 18lb bar across my back. Considering that I'm 4'10", the personal trainer said the steps were taller than me...and she was impressed I was able to lift my body weight up all the way...hehhehe...YIPEEEEE !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOhhh, NC, I really admire your enthusiasm! But the nurse/ personal trainer wannabe in me just can't let that one go without a warning! From everything I've learned, you should NEVER place the bench so high that your knee breaks 90 degrees when you do step ups- it's an injury waiting to happen! It puts your knees and hip flexors under tremendous stress at very unstable angles. Plus anything beyond 90 degrees gives you diminishing returns, so to speak. Step ups are usually incorporated as a glute exercise and beyond 90 degrees, the glutes not the primary movers. When you add additional weight into the equation, the cost:benefit ratio sucks!!!

I know that there is a raging controversy about squatting below parallel, and you could argue that a super high step up mimics the position of a deep squat or leg press, so I'm scrambling right now to come up with an argument why this feels so different to me. It seems to me that your knee is much less stable moving up against gravity at that angle- you essentially place your quads in a position where they can't function to stabilize the joint the way they should plus they (your quads) really have to initiate the movement at that disadvantage- before your glutes or hamstrings are engaged like I said before. In a deep squat, the angles are the same but it's a slow and controlled DEscent so you have the stability in the starting position and can adjust on your way down with all muscles ready and waiting. In the bottom position, you have the stabilizing benefit of BOTH feet being on the ground to distribute the weight. Also, lower body plyometric moves place your body in this position but again, I think the biomechanics and explosive nature of plyometrics make the distribution of forces different. This is really just coming from my gut- I'm not well versed enough in this stuff yet to give you a more thorough explanation than that, but I'll be happy to do some research if you want.(NC thinks to herself, "I really would have been fine with 'It's too hard on your knees...'.") [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Anyone with more concrete info please jump in here (Krypto, JW ??). I'm willing to be wrong on this- I just wasn't willing to say nothing and have you get injured. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Dragonzeye should change his/her status!
Rookie

Way to go!!!! *Thunderous Applause and wooooo hoooooo's*
Old 03-27-2003, 05:33 PM
W8lifter2 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

^5's ya...awesome!
Closed Thread