Train like a man? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:05 AM
PhysiqueMystique should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Train like a man?

Just wanting your opinion. From your experience, do you find that men and women can train in the same manner? Or do you find that due to differences women get better results training differently?

Just very interested as I come up against this argument all the time.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:43 AM
kungfu_chick should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Train like a man?

I think I would be one of the many women here who would give indignant shouts of protest against training any differently from the way men train. Yes, men and women ARE different (I mean we have certain different biological functions and such [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) but when it comes to stimulating muscle growth, fast twitch fibres are fast twitch fibres, and slow twitch fibres are slow twitch fibres. There are no 'man' fast twitch fibres or 'woman' fast twitch fibres.

Just my two cents worth [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 07:35 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

IMHO:
I think people have very stereotyped views that women need to be cardio-bunnies and men should lift weights (not necessarily the views of most of the people on this site, but I think a viewpoint that many of us have come away from).
However, where I think there is a difference is in our goals. Guys generally want to be big (gain mass), whereas women want to be lean and slim (yet muscular). I for one certainly do not want a "barn door back" or "freaky legs" but I want to drop my bodyfat and be muscular and fit. Our goals may therefore define the way we train. Also the different levels of hormones and different distribution of fat on our bodies compared to men may affect how we tackle our training programme. Basically though, there shouldn't be any reason why women and men can't train the same way in my opinion, although our goals may affect the precise design of our training programmes.
Just my tuppence... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 09:36 AM
PhysiqueMystique should change his/her status!
Rookie

I agree. I've just done some research on it and written up a note for a newsletter. I'll post it when it's published. But basically the difference between men and women is the storage and utilisation of BF.

Us girls also hold on to our carb stores more than men. So I guess the bottom line is that we need to monitor our diets more and perhaps do more cardio in order to get lean. But as for building muscle, it is the same!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:01 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

yes i think men and women can train in the same manner. we have less testerone in our bodies so we won't end up looking like a man even if we train like one.

i have personally gotten much better results lifting heavy! i lifted doing 15 reps for a year and i got minimal results (some muscles started to show), but it was not until i started to lift heavy (8-12 reps to failure) did the muscles start to pop out and look nice, and my strength increase.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:42 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
kungfu_chick said:
I think I would be one of the many women here who would give indignant shouts of protest against training any differently from the way men train. Yes, men and women ARE different (I mean we have certain different biological functions and such [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) but when it comes to stimulating muscle growth, fast twitch fibres are fast twitch fibres, and slow twitch fibres are slow twitch fibres. There are no 'man' fast twitch fibres or 'woman' fast twitch fibres.

Just my two cents worth [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!
Old 03-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Workout2001 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

This is what Arnold says in his "Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding":

"Aren't there any programs developed specifically for women in this encyclopedia? The primary reason is that the fundamentals of muscle training and diet programs are essentially the same for both sexes...True, it's a fact that the female body responds somewhat differently, but every individual is going to find the need to adjust training and diet programs to suit his or here personal needs. So my advice to women is to learn the bodybuilding techniques in this book...The goal for men and women is the same: to create the maximum possible aesthetic development of the physique. My advice to women interested in serious training is simple: Your muscle cells don't know you are a female. They respond to progressive-resistance weight training as does a man's. And as far as the training experience is concerned, all that counts is getting through the next rep, the next set, the next workout. The correct approach to training is what produces the best results.

Good ole Arnold!
Old 03-26-2003, 02:22 PM
babivirgo should change his/her status!
Stranger

i say...YES YES!! train "like a man"!! its the only way u will get DEFINITION and sexy muscles!! most women, in my opinion, do not train hard ENOUGH. they're all afraid of getting bulky. but then...most of them remain flabby! so train hard, you will get results =o)
Old 03-26-2003, 06:05 PM
tiger1 should change his/her status!

Yes Yes My trainer told me from the start there is no difference between training a man or a woman. He has always trained me as he puts it "like he trans himself". And i have to say I really like muscle definition I have developed
Old 03-27-2003, 01:22 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I think there IS a difference.

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I can't do upright rows well with a barbell cuz my boobs get in the way. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Closed Thread