New here with a few questions - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 12:18 AM
florida_rjs should change his/her status!

Default New here with a few questions

Hi all! I am new to this site. This site is awesome!!! I am 5'5" at 153. I haven't checked my BF% lately, but it is high. I started out at 210 pounds after my second child was born. Lost down to 179 without exercising. Got laxed and didn't loose for 5 or 6 months. I went low carb without exercising and lost 15 pounds. About 8 weeks ago, I weighed 165. I have been working out with weights for the past 8 weeks. My main goal is to loose the fat. I want to gain muscle, so I can look better and gain strength. My questions:

1) EFA's:
What is the best to get?
If I eat salmon 3X a week, will this make any difference in what I need to take?

2)I have a weight bench at home that has the lat bar and has the leg thingie (that's a word right [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]) on it. I have an olympic bar, but I can't even lift that thing [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. It's way too big, so I use dumbbells.

Is it possible to get results with dumbbells, or should I get a smaller barbell that I can pick up? I really would love not to have to. I won't have a spotter (is this needed?). I can tell a big difference in my muscles with what I have been doing so far (have changed my routine twice so far, every four weeks).

3) I have lurked on a couple of sites, and I have "heard" that you can not gain muscle and loose weight. I don't believe this. What is everyone's thoughts.

4) Right now I am eating low carbs (20-30g/day). Making up the difference in calories with fat. Not the right kind, hence my question about EFA's. What are your thoughts about low carbs?

5)Right now I am working each body part three times/2weeks. Is this too much?

6)I am riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes 4-5X/week at 70%MHR. Is this too much? My short term goal is to lose fat. I have a trip coming up in May, and would like to do what it takes to loose as much inches as possible before then.

Sorry that this is so long. I really would appreciate everyone's input.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:50 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: New here with a few questions

Hello and welcome to Abc!

Yes, you CAN gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time, ESPECIALLY if you are a beginner. It's all a matter of proper nutrition.

I'm going to give you some general guidelines to get you going in the right direction and I'm also gonna bump up some threads about fat that would be good for you to read. I also recommend that you read the diet articles in the nutrition section of the site, blue tabs at top of page. We can get into more detail later, but for now, I think this will be plenty for you to take in.

Oh, and for NUMEROUS weight lifting exercises you can do for each muscle group, check out the exercise section as well, (blue tab at top of page). Each exercise has an animated illustration as well to demonstrate how to perform the exercise properly. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="green">GENERAL CUTTING GUIDELINES:

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, balanced meals of protein, carbs, fat. Exception: you don't necesarily have to eat carbs for your last meal or two of the day, you CAN just eat protein and fat. Unless it's post workout, then you NEED to eat some carbs.

2. Try to keep the protein intake in each of your meals consistent. Eat a minimum of your bodyweight in protein, divided up equally in each of your meals.

3. Don't be afraid of fat, you NEED fat in order to BURN fat. You need to turn your body into a fat burning machine. In order to do this, you keep your carbs fairly low and your fat intake moderate. As in, the lower your carbs, the more fat you should be consuming.

4. Avoid sugars like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

5. Avoid processed foods, like those in boxes/packages and also anything made with white flour. White flour is overprocessed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well.

6. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.

7. Avoid starchy carbs like corn, bread, pasta.

8. For your last meal or two of the day, have only green veggies for your carbohydrates.

9. Last but not least, do NOT cut your calories too low. For starters I wouldn't even drop ANY calories. I would eat maintenance calories and just focus on cleaning up your diet and getting consistent with a good macronutrient ratio (protein, carbs, fat). Examples of good cutting ratios are: 40P/30C/30F or 40P/20C/40F.

10. A good website (free) to help you keep track of your calories, protein, carbs, and fat is: www.fitday.com

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Okra
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Bottled Water
Diet Soda
Crystal Light

CONDIMENTS &amp; SPICES

Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Stevia (natural sweetener)

GENERAL TRAINING GUIDELINES

1. Always start with big muscle groups first. Always do chest before triceps and shoulders, always do back before biceps.

2. Work each bodypart once per week with the exception of abs and calves, you can work them 2-3 times per week if you'd like.

3. For big muscle groups, do 3-4 exercises per part, 3-4 sets per exercise.

4. For smaller muscle groups, do 2-3 exercises per part, 2-3 sets per exercise.

5. Work each muscle group to failure on each set with the exception of warm-up sets. Pick a weight where you cannot physically lift it more than 12 reps. Lift the weight til you can't lift it anymore (for 12 reps or less).

6. Take 1-3 minutes rest between each set of 6-12 reps.

7. Make up your training split based on how many days per week you can go to the gym and how long you want to spend there. Personally, I wouldn't try to do more than 2 bodyparts per session if you can help it. Reason is cause it's very difficult to maintain your intensity for more than two bodyparts. If you are really giving it all you got, you'll find it quite difficult to still have the energy to train that third bodypart.

8. Never do cardio before lifting weights, ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weight training and PREFERABLY on a separate day altogether.

9. Don't overdo it on the cardio, cardio is WAY overrated in terms of burning fat. DIET and weight training (muscle) is what's gonna burn the fat for you. For starters, I'd only do cardio twice a week for no more than 30 min and I recommend high intensity interval training if you're up to it. H.I.I.T. is explained in the "workouts" section I believe, blue tab at top.

NOTE: If you are a total beginner and have not mastered the proper lifting techniques/forms yet, I would NOT advise starting with heavy weights but rather a weight you can lift in the 12-15 rep range until you have mastered the proper form, to avoid injury.

For different weight training exercises to do, see the blue tab at the top labeled "exercises". Each exercise has its own description along with an animated illustration to show you how to perform the exercise properly.

EXAMPLE OF A TRAINING SPLIT

Monday - back &amp; abs
Tuesday - chest &amp; shoulders
Wednesday - cardio
Thursday - legs, calves
Friday - arms
Saturday - off
Sunday - cardio</font>
Old 03-27-2003, 03:03 PM

Thanks Krypto. Your pictures look fantastic. Was the 1 day a week per body part your routine when you started out?

Also, could you look at my questions about EFA's and give me your short answer. I have read all the articles you bumped up. Thanks for doing that. Also, would Olive oil have these EFA's and if so which one. The reason I am asking, is if I can get these through my diet, I would rather do that then take oils. But I will if that is what is needed. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:22 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Well, I'm not Krypto, but the short answer is yes. Olive oil works as does fish. Here's some other foods that provide EFA's (source: The Vegan Society webpage).

<font color="purple">Linoleic Acid (Omega 6 family)
Vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains &amp; seeds.

Good sources - oils made from safflower, sunflower, corn, soya, evening primrose, pumpkin and wheatgerm.

Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3 family)
(Please note - fish is not the only source of omega 3 acids. Flaxseed oil contains twice as much as is found in fish oil!). Flaxseeds (linseeds), mustard seeds and pumpkin seeds, soya bean, walnut &amp; rapeseed (canola) oils. Green leafy vegetables and grains. Spirulina.

Good sources - oils made from linseed flaxseeds (linseeds), rapeseed (canola) &amp; soya bean. </font>

I help my intake out with flax seed meal, which is simply ground flax seeds. I sprinkle it right into my oatmeal, tuna, etc, and it doesn't seem to change the taste of anything I add it to. I buy mine at Whole Foods.

Welcome to ABC! This is a great site!

<font color="purple"> </font> <font color="purple"> </font>
Old 03-27-2003, 03:29 PM

Thank you Schless! Before I came to this site, I thought that I had found a "10" support site. After coming here, I have downgraded that site to a "5" and this one to an "11". I love it. Everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:30 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Check this out too. It gives you more info than you're asking for, but near the bottom is a chart with different kinds of fat sources, and the types of fat in each. EFAs fall under the poly and monounsaturated category, so when you look at the chart, look for things with a higher number there.

Harvard School of Public Health

Old 03-27-2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks! I printed out those two charts. I find the more I learn about why I do things (in this case eating healthy), the easier it is to stick to.
Closed Thread