Counting Carbs Question - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Cece should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Counting Carbs Question

I know that some of you do hard core carb counting and that fibre plays a big part when you count. How does that work? do you subtract a certain # of carbs for each gram of fibre? Is that how it's done? I'd read it somewhere in regards to breaking down a recipe but didn't give you the rationale behind it.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Cristy should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Counting Carbs Question

I subtract the grams of fiber from the total carb content. For example if I eat something that has 10 grams of carbs total, and 5 grams of fiber then my "net carb" count is actually 5 (10 - 5). I've read that fiber doesn't get stored in the body, so my understanding is that it will clean you out as it passes through the digestive system. Many of the low/no carb diets use this method of counting carbs. For example, the Atkins diet states that you need only to count "net" carbs, which do not include fiber. I don't consider fiber extra carbs. The recommended intake of fiber is 25-30 grams a day. That means eating a lot of veggies and legumes, etc. I would not count that in my "overall" carb count. I'm sure someone else will respond with some good info on the subject. So to answer your question, I feel that you should subtract the fiber intake from you carb intake! Happy counting [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Source 101 should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Yup...I only count active carbs
total carbs minus fiber equals active carbs.

I don't count green, fiberous vegetables in my daily carb count at all.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Cece should change his/her status!
Rookie

Thanks you guys, I thought as much but didn't want to make assumptions. I probably won't count any "clean" carbs (veggies) then in my total intake.

So does that mean that if my brownies have 23 grams of carbs and I dump a cup of All Bran on top that they're carb free?????? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:57 PM
SuRFaH808 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

haha thats funni
Old 03-24-2003, 10:25 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
Source 101 said:
I don't count green, fiberous vegetables in my daily carb count at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really good information to know!!! There are days when the only complex carbs I have are my oatmeal in the morning and a sweet potato at lunch, yet my carb count on fitday is still between 100-150 because I eat a lot of green veggies and salad. I've been trying to incorporate carb cycling into my nutrition to see if I can jump start some fat loss but couldn't imagine how I could stand to go any lower than oatmeal and a sweet potato and not lose my mind!

If you are not counting these as carbs, do you include them in your daily calorie totals on a cut? I mean, I probably eat between 100-150 cals of green veggies some days. My usual choices are green beans, asparagus, broccoli, sugar snap peas, brussel sprouts, and salad greens. If I counted them as calories but didn't count the carbs, wouldn't that skew my macro ratios for the day, or am I missing something (always a real possibility [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]!).
Old 03-24-2003, 10:30 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

hmm, all this is interesting. i always counted everything i ate... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] so i don't need to count certain things like fiber at all in the carb total? what about the daily calorie total like lifterchick said?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:42 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Personally I just count everything, I think it's easier that way. It gets too confusing and makes more work IMO if you start trying to subtract stuff. Whatever works for you I guess. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 01:09 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i find it easier to just count everything too... i think i will just stick with that.

simpler is best for me. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 01:12 PM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Agreed! Unless, of course, it means I can eat more... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]!
Closed Thread