One more 12-wk Fat Burning Workout question - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 01:53 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default One more 12-wk Fat Burning Workout question

I'm going to start this on Monday. As I'm building my tracking sheet, I'm noticing that it's calling for less sets than I'm currently doing. For example, shoulders and triceps are two exercises each, 3 sets to failure. I currently do 3 exercises, 3 sets to failure. So it almost feels like I'll be doing less work.

I know that can't be right, because this is a JW "hardcore" workout, but I can't mentally get past doing less total sets. Did anyone else have that problem? Any words of encouragement to help me mentally justify doing 'seemingly' less work in the gym?

TIA!
Old 03-22-2003, 03:05 PM
GoMom should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: One more 12-wk Fat Burning Workout question

Yes!! me too! I tried it, really tried it.....and it wasnt enough--I am just starting back after a long layoff. I need to build a decent base again. I figure, I cant cut what I dont have. So I went to the 24 mass blitz workout. It involves some supersetting and drop and double drop sets that will leave your shoulders, chest etc.. crying. This is not a huge amount of sets, but very intense--so it makes up for it. I come from the school of lots of cardio and lots of sets-found out that is a recipe for overtraining. This time around I am going about things differently and I find the change refreshing! One interesting note: This lady body builder (works at it) looks EXACTLY the same as she did 3 years ago! According to her, she does lots of sets and high reps, and works out 4 days. She is more of an ecto-type. But still, no noticible change after 3 years?.....sorry for venting!
Jesus said to her."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord," she told Him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
John 11:25-27 NIV

Old 03-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Cece should change his/her status!
Rookie

If you are lifting heavier, it should become more "work". I started out doing high rep light weights, but as I got stronger, upped the weight range and lowered my reps. Your body should respond accordingly. It's quality, not quantity! (Unless you are talking calories [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) Let us know how your workout is going!
Old 03-22-2003, 09:55 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Actually, I always lift heavy, and always to failure. My sets are typically in the 10/8/6 range, though sometimes I misjudge my first set and end up able to do more than 10 reps before failing. That's what makes me a bit nervous about reducing the total number of sets per muscle. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 01:23 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Two things, one, JW usually recommends that one for beginners so it IS gonna be a bit less hardcore. And two, MORE is NOT always better! And yep, INTENSITY is the key! If you are super intense on those sets, I don't think you'll be complaining about not enough sets. Okay, 3 things, remember that VARIETY is the KEY. If you've been doing high volume previously, look at this as just a change to your routine. Changes are GOOD. It's not always good to KEEP doing high volume, nonstop. Sometimes you will find a burst of growth by cutting back, by actually doing LESS, just by the CHANGE in your routine. I cut all the sets I was doing in half a while back and I noticed that I'm recovering much better now. Anyway, hope this helps. Don't get stuck in that mindset that you MUST do X number of sets, often times LESS really IS better, I really think it's all in the INTENSITY. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 07:05 PM
nikitabiceps should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hey!

I agree w/Krypto's response on intensity & change is the KEY! I'm not a beginner at all. I've been training for 5 years & I started the 12 week workout for some variety. I'm only into my third week & already notice changes in my physical appearance.It's not the volume ...it's the intensity!! Believe me. Yesterday, I did the back,bi & forearms workout & my biceps are killing me!!! I can feel the soreness in back creepin up as the day goes along. The way I get the intensity on only having 3 sets is to really increase the weight on e/set. It really works stick to it!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Closed Thread