Too much cardio, but not too much cardio (?) - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 06:06 AM
Source 101 should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Too much cardio, but not too much cardio (?)

"High-protein diets like that of the popular Atkins diet may accelerate the loss of kidney function in people with early problems. However, these controversial diets do not seem to affect people with normal kidneys, suggests new research."

Taken From Here:

"Suspicions of High Protein Diets

Paul W. Crawford, the AKF's chairman of medical affairs, said: "We have long suspected that high-protein weight loss diets could have a negative impact on the kidneys, and now we have research to support our suspicions. Dehydration forces the kidneys to work harder to clean toxins from the blood. Kidneys not only filter the blood, but they also help regulate blood pressure and the number of red blood cells."

"Increased protein intake leads to a build-up of nitrogen in the blood. The nitrogen ends up at the kidney in the form of urea, where it needs to be cleaned from the blood and got rid of in the urine," explained Crawford. "The resulting increase in urination can cause dehydration, further straining the kidneys," he added."

Taken From Here:

This is why we drink tons of water everyday.

Old 03-22-2003, 12:03 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
Source 101 said:
Sorry SusanDD but that is a matter of opinion.
There have been no studies or proof to back up what you just said.
It has ony been proven that high protein diets "mess up" your kidneys if and only is you have a pre-existing problem with your kidneys.
If you have a study or an article that says otherwise, I would definitely like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Also, Jacob Wilson, who runs this site, is also a personal trainer, a very intelligent one at that, he knows his stuff and I have complete faith in him that he would never steer us wrong. Likewise, there are a good number of other PT's and veteran BB's on here who know their stuff on training AND nutrition. So you're preaching to a whole crowd of people who do not agree with you. Like Source101 said, show me the proof.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:28 PM
JerseyJulie should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Thanks everyone for your responses and insights, I appreciate them so much.

Just wanted to clear some things up. My body fat is already quite low, 12-13 % (and I don't think I should lose much more) and I do have a lean, very muscular body. I sort of take that to mean that I am doing something right here. I am always intense when I weight train and do so with variety and consistency, so I can't really do much more in that realm but stick to it.

I want to make sure I understand your suggestions, etc.

1. I should cut back cardio a few days. Cut down the time and instead use the time for some HIT/interval training.

2. Gradually up the clean calories about 100 per week. (This will kick my metabloism up to burn more fat.)

If I followed these ideas I'd lose more fat and put on more muscle? I don't really feel like I'm struggling to hold onto my muscle. I make gains, see more definition, and become stronger even with all the cardio I do- that's why although I know it's not true, I feel like it's just me and my body type that needs more cardio to maintain. Get it?

Honestly, I've had issues many-a-time with food and I find it troubling to eat more. It's tough to tell yourself that it's an okay thing to do. But all of your advice and personal experience/stories are really encouraging and make me want to ease up on myself...

I'd hug you all if I could [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know there's more I wanted to mention so I'll just add-on when the little thoughts pop back into my brain!
Old 03-23-2003, 01:09 AM

Question is, what exactly is it you are trying to accomplish? What are your goals? Cause it sounds like you are happy where you're at and are content to just maintain. So I'm actually kinda confused myself, especially after rereading your first post. And personally, yeah, 12-13% would be lean enough for me. So I'm not quite sure where you're wanting to go now. Do you want more muscle or to be leaner? And which has the HIGHER priority? Right now I'm just not sure that you even need any help, sounds like you've got yourself where you want to be and can just continue with what you are doing. If you like it and it works for you, then no need to change anything. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Lightweight

Hi all,

First, thanks so much for everyone's feedback. All your insights are so appreciated!

Just wanted to comment on a few things... my question/dilema seems to be that I have a very low body fat, and a well-defined muscular physique- and I'm happy with everything, don't get me wrong. So it sort of appears that I'm doing something right. I've made gains, gotten stronger and more defined even with such a rigid and intense routine.

That's why I'm confused because what I'm doing seems to be working for me. When I asked if cardio was a relative thing, that's really what I meant. Do I need an hour every day of the week? You guys say no and I take that as the absolute truth, but it doesn't seem to make sense according to my results.

My goal really is to maintain (and getting stronger would be great as well) but keep in mind I'm not really looking to lose weight or body fat.

You suggest cutting cardio a few days a week and upping the calories to shock my body? And in theory that will help my body release more fat?

Honestly, as someone mentioned before, I panic when I think of more food and less exercise. I have food issues and have had a history with some serious disorders, so that thought just freaks me completely. What I'm thinking is making gradual (very gradual) changes. For instance, today, instead of cardio for an hour I did 45 minutes. (*Hey, it's still less! But I know, it doesn't look like too much difference [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Anyway, I just wanted to mention these things... Thank you guys so much, again. It's so refreshing to be interacting with people so eager and willing to help others.

I'd hug you all if I could!

OOOOO- there, hugs!
Old 03-26-2003, 01:20 AM

Okay, so what I'm gathering here, is that you'd like to maintain but cut down on your cardio? In that case, that is just something you will have to find out since everybody is different. Your idea of making that change slowly is a good one. Go ahead and slowly cut down on the cardio, keep your diet the same, and just see what happens. That is the ONLY way to REALLY know. And you have nothing to worry about making slow changes like that, you're not gonna suddenly wake up fat, ya know? Just keep an eye on the mirror and how your clothes are fitting, disregarding any water weight gain (especially around that time of the month) of course, and even better would be to get calipered, as in get your body fat measurement taken every 2-3 weeks. If you stay very observant, and make a gradual change to your training, then nothing will get out of control and all there will be to gain is KNOWLEDGE about your own body. Make sense? Yep, just give it a try and let us know how it goes! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But also, in order to really be able to evaluate how the change has affected you, you should stick with a change for at least a month. Then evaluate, and go from there.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Lightweight

Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to get across to you guys... I want to maintain but cut back on cardio (and not do this and wake up fat, as you put it, ha).

What I've always done was an hour (about 700 calories) so what I'll try to do is cut down to 45-50 minutes. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks so much!
Closed Thread