Too much cardio, but not too much cardio (?) - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:16 AM
JerseyJulie should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Too much cardio, but not too much cardio (?)

Good catch... wink. But I mean more flexible with calories, a little more than usual here and there. Flexible not with the foods themselves but with the quantity.

Old 03-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I was a cardio freak - that will hinder your gains... I increased my calories/protein Per Krypto's help (current ratios 35/20/12 right now for 5 weeks so far) and I am now up to 157lbs & gained 6 lbs LBM since Feb.11, 2003. My stats when I started, 154 lbs. 18% BF, now 16.3% BF [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Before that I was consuming 1200-1500 calories a day, while lifting 3-4x a week AND doing cardio (HIIT 40 min. sessions3-4x a week!) and I was wondering why I wasn't getting the gains?! I stopped that completely and I panicked major, giving up cardio - no way - it won't work!

But it did and my metabolism is evening out and I don't even need to do cardio, just lift heavy 3-4x a week.

I look forward to the "cutting" diet as I am packing on some good muscle [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So don't be afraid to up the calories cuz I am up to 1900-2000 so far! Your body just has to get used to it (a note too- that the Flax Oil in itself adds 540 calories, four servings a day).

Hope this helped!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:45 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Bladezz33 said:
...(current ratios 35/20/12...

[/ QUOTE ]

??? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 09:59 PM
GoMom should change his/her status!
Rookie

I agree. It's weird but I'm finding out that less is more! I too was a cardio freak. It's extremely catabolic--it will in fact eat your muscle right up! I know it may sound scary to give up the cardio--at least in the amount youre doing it, but I bet if you give it a try--you will be pleasantly surprised. And think of all the extra time you'll have!!
Jesus said to her."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord," she told Him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
John 11:25-27 NIV

Old 03-21-2003, 10:51 PM
MissMargaret should change his/her status!
Rookie

As soon as I see 6 days of cardio I go EEEKKK... coming from a past cardio junkie status myself. That's too too much if you are planning on keeping any muscle at all. Seriously consider dropping say 3 days of that? If you have to have more for soccer - like practices/games then I can see why you won't be able to .. .but I would leave out any of the extra that you may do on the side and do the weight training instead. I used to run marathons and half marathons and I was never fatter in my life. Note I did not say heavier - still weighed the same (130+) but my bf vs. muscle mass was not good.

Old 03-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Source 101 should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

It sounds weird but sometimes ya gotta eat more and train less to
lose some fat. Try upping the intensity of your weight lifting sessions and gradually increasing your calories while decreasing the amount of cardio.
Obviously diet is VERY important. You have to experiment and learn how to time your macros(what to eat and when to eat it).

originally posted by seksi:

"In addition, the affects that cardiovascular activity have on your metabolism only last about an hour. The affects hardcore weight training have on your metabolism, while not as drastic, can last 24-48 hours!"
Old 03-21-2003, 11:08 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
JerseyJulie said:
Hiya everyone,

Question for you: I do 6 days of medium-intense cardio, 50-60 minutes each session. This is in addition to weight training 45 minutes, 4-5 times a week. In relation to my diet which consists of approximately 1800 extremely clean calories a day, I should theoretically be losing weight. I (This is is because I really seem to be burning off way more than I'm consuming.) Although I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm curious to know why I'm not and why I'm just maintaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your body's metabolism has adjusted and since the calories are that low, your body is hanging onto all it can because it is not getting ENOUGH food. It has figured out what is going on and has sensed that it is not getting enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't go above 1800 calories because I feel like I'll gain weight if I add anymore to my daily total. Thanks ahead of time for any and all responses!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you CAN go above 1800 and you are going to have to, if you want to lose anymore fat. Cause your body is not going to let go of anymore at those calories, you just said so yourself, said you're only maintaining. Your body is not going to give up anymore fat til you give it more food. Trick is, you increase your calories SLOWLY to give your metabolism time to adjust. In other words, to give your body time to figure out that it's not starving anymore. Once it figures out that you're feeding it enough, it will burn fat again.

And that's too much cardio. Too much cardio sends the wrong message to the brain, telling it to get rid of the muscle and keep the fat because fat is lighter and when the body is already in starvation mode, that's what the body does, burn the muscle FIRST, before it will touch the fat. Also, since muscle weighs more than fat, part of the body's adaptation to a lot of cardio is to get rid of that heavy muscle and become lighter and more aerodynamic. So long bouts of cardio are NOT good. Short, intense bursts, like high intensity interval training for no more than 30 min at time is better for you. It stimulates hypertrophy (muscle building), like sprints for example. Wouldn't you rather look like a sprinter than a marathoner?

Anyway, hope that answers your questions. And if I haven't told you already, welcome to Abc! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 05:36 AM
SusanDD should change his/her status!
Stranger

Be careful about your intake of protein.

I'm a certified personal and have studied nutrition - too much protein will mess up your kidneys - but you will not know this until you are old.
The WHO recommend a ratio of 10:60:30 - p:c:f - which is v. different to what you read in bodybuilding mags -
but do be wary that long term intake of protein over 20% can start to take a toll on your kidneys.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Sorry SusanDD but that is a matter of opinion.
There have been no studies or proof to back up what you just said.
It has ony been proven that high protein diets "mess up" your kidneys if and only is you have a pre-existing problem with your kidneys.
If you have a study or an article that says otherwise, I would definitely like to see it.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Super-Heavyweight

"However, if your kidneys are healthy, eating lots of protein does not seem to hurt them, the study also concludes."

"We now have evidence to suggest that, in individuals with kidney disease there is some reason to suspect a high protein intake could be potentially detrimental," says study author Dr. Eric L. Knight, a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. "Based on this study, I would say in individuals with normal kidney function, we have no reason to believe that a relatively high protein intake has a harmful effect on the kidneys."

"Those with pre-existing kidney disease should get advice from their doctors before starting a diet high in protein," Knight says. And since mild kidney problems usually are not accompanied by symptoms, people might not be aware their kidneys are ailing, he adds. A blood test can help determine the status of your kidneys."

Taken From Here:

Closed Thread