I had my resting metabolic rate done - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:38 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: I had my resting metabolic rate done

I'm a little nervous to comment about someone else's caloric intake, because we're all so different. How well you know your body is half the battle I think. I will say that what we did for me was come up with my RMR, then added a number for lifestyle/activitiies, and then reduced that total number by 300 calories to cut. And yes, it did work.

And it worked for my friend as well. Additionaly for her, the dietitian took her total caloric intake, and broke it up into 6 meals. Not each meal was the same amt of calories though. (She had more calories for bkfst, for example.) That really helped her get into a rhythym of 6 meals a day and what they should look/feel like.

So after using my RMR number as a guide for awhile, and dropping a few pounds, I've now tucked it into the back of my mind because I think I want to try to gain more mass. I still have a little bit of fat left to get rid of, but I do want more bulk. I've talked to Krypto about this and she gave me some suggestions, which means another tweak to my caloric intake. I'm still trying to assimilate all that and come up with a plan for where I'm going from here.

Lastly, yes I do think the test is accurate, simply because of the way it's adminstered. Doesn't seem to be much/any room for human error, which is always a good thing!

If you have any more questions about this, grill away! I'm happy to help if I can.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:45 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Thanks, Schless (and SORRY for hijacking your thread, Bec!!). Seems like a very worthwhile investment.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Middleweight

So, my friend at Bally's did my RMR today with the Bodygem. It was 1440- very close to what I came up with using the formulas on the site. Glad it was for free!

Well, of course Bally's recommended a 1600 cal per day diet, which seems really low, since that barely covers lifestyle and daily activities, let alone working out. But at the same time I can't help but wonder. I've been consistently eating between 1850 and 2000 cals and not losing anything. Now that I know for sure that my RMR is not screwed up anymore, maybe it is time to cut back little bits at a time. I guess I need to pay more attention to calories expended through exercise to balance the equation, but how can you truly know how much you expend while lifting??? It seems like such an individual thing that I'm leary of trusting the cookie cutter numbers in Fitday.

I know I'm making this harder than it has to be. I'm just really tired right now and bummed because I didn't get to work out at all today due to the test being so late in the afternoon. Now I'm looking at two 12 shifts in a row so it'll be Sunday before I get to train again. It's funny, I thought this would be like the greatest piece of information to have, but I don't feel any closer to reaching my goals than I was this morning.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:28 PM
Bec should change his/her status!

Lifterchick, your RMR is kinda on the low side, isn't it? I would think that your would be higher than mine...hmmm. Just curious..
hugs~
Bec
Old 03-27-2003, 10:00 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Hey lifterchick, here's some info for you:

<font color="blue">
How Do I Need To Prepare for the Test?

To obtain a true resting metabolic rate, it is important that your body is in a calm and relaxed state. If you have been active, stressed, or if you have recently eaten or exercised, the MedGem measured RMR will be accurate for that condition but not representative of your actual RMR.

Ideally, RMR is measured 8-12 hours after eating or exercise. If this is not possible, the following conditions should be met in addition to sitting quietly and relaxing for 15 minutes prior to a MedGem test:

Avoid eating or drinking beverages that contain calories or caffeine for 2-4 hours prior to a MedGem test.
Avoid exercising (cardiovascular and strength training) for 4 hours prior to a MedGem test.
Avoid nicotine consumption for at least 1-2 hours prior to a MedGem test.
Avoid taking nutritional supplements and medication that contain ephedra, Ma Huang, or pseudoephedrine for at least two hours prior to a MedGem test.
Metabolism is different among individuals and is influenced by many factors, therefore you should measure your metabolism regularly during a weight management program.

Metabolism can vary from day to day and within the same day. That's why it's important to measure RMR under similar conditions at the same time of the day, in the same position, and fully relaxed. If normal conditions for you include taking nutritional supplements, caffeine, nicotine, or medications, then it is important to acknowledge this as part of your daily routine.</font>
Old 03-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Super-Heavyweight

The guy at HealthSouth told me there's really not a "low" or "high" number. I mean sure, some numbers are lower or higher than others, but that we shouldn't be disappointed if our numbers are lower than we expected. Everyone is an individual, and everyone's body works differently. The main thing is to know what your number is so that you can adjust your diet accordingly. And, if you make some dramatic changes to either your diet or your exercise program, then you should recheck it again in 6 mos.

I workout alot, and my RMR was lower than I thought it was going to be. I was kind of bummed by it. But then I just reframed it as more a tool to help me reach my goals, not a contest with myself to see if I could get a higher number.

Lifterchick - the tech that did my RMR interviewed me extensively and then concluded that in my daily activites (walking, eating, working, etc) I probably burned an additional 500 calories. He couldn't help me with my workout expenditure, but I do have a HRM that at least gives me an idea. You really just have to play around with it for awhile to see what works for you.

But you're right, 1600 seems way low. I'm 5'6" and weigh 127. I have a desk job that has me up and walking around some, but for the most part I'm at a computer all day. My weekends and evenings are a bit more active. For that lifestyle he guesstimated 500 additional calories burned (and that does NOT include my workouts). Maybe that will help you think about how much you might need to add to 1440 to see what your daily caloric needs are, and then add more for your workouts.

BTW, I can totally relate to you! I'm the same way. I'm so retentive about all this stuff! But I do feel better at least knowing my number. Good luck to you! Try not to stress about it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 09:56 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

ok now i'm very curious to get this done... but i'm kinda scared too know the results [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Middleweight

Thanks for the peptalk Bec, Ender, and Schless!! I'm feeling better this morning after some sleep and a little perspective.

Actually Bec, the RMR is pretty darn close to what I got by using the formulas. I REALLY think that the numbers they gave you were RMR + lifestyle + activities, because the first number they gave me was a little over 2000 and I said, "Wow, my RMR is higher than I thought, I guess I haven't been eating enough!!" ( I was really psyched at that point) and the guy said, "Oh no, that's not your RMR, that's your maintenance calories. Your RMR is 1440." Then they recommended that if I wanted to lose weight I should take in between 1500 and 1600, which was my maintenance cals - 500 to theoretically equal one pound of fat loss every week.

Anyway, after I thought about it a little I realized that it's really not that different than what I've been doing for the last month anyway, and since I'm eating a little more than what they recommended and a little less than theoretical maintenance (according to Bally's) I should still be losing fat, just a little slower than a pound a week, which is okay because given my past issues with food I'd rather lose a little slower and not risk screwing myself up because I let myself get too hungry. It's all a process anyway, right [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]? And I'm in it for the long haul, so it's good to have confirmation that my metabolism is healthy and normal and even a little higher than expected. On the happy side, my neighbor, who is 2 years younger than I am and both a trainer and an aerobics instructor had a lower RMR than I did! So I guess all that muscle really is good to have!

Thanks again for the morale booster- I would still recommend that anyone who is "stuck" get it tested just for the peace of mind that you are doing the right thing food wise.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
lifterchick said:I would still recommend that anyone who is "stuck" get it tested just for the peace of mind that you are doing the right thing food wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! That's exactly why I did it!

Glad you're feeling better today. A good night's sleep can really give us a new perspective! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Middleweight

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention before. I WAS underestimating my activity level. My cal intake recommendation from Bally's was based on me saying I was "moderately active". Being the queen of extremes that I am, I was considering the "very active" individual to be the professional or olympic athlete in training, and I figured I was at least two steps down from them. My friend at Bally's disagreed. So I asked the dietician at work today and when I told her what my weekly routine was she just kind of laughed at me and said, "Yes, I would consider you to be in the active to very active range!". So, I'm gonna recalculate my cals and I'll bet I'm a lot closer to the 1800-1900 level. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Closed Thread