I had my resting metabolic rate done - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Bec should change his/her status!

Default I had my resting metabolic rate done

It came out that I have a RMR of 2140 and if I want to lose 1 lbs week to eat 1930cal/day. What do you all think of this?
***********, you had told me to eat 1900cal/day. I thought that was cool that what they said also came out to what you had said. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
BTW, I read all of your 3 journals today, wow...I was exhausted by time I finish reading them. You work hard and sure can tell how dedicated you are. Protein bars are not a good thing to eat, huh? I am going to have to work on that also. I like them and it's fast and easy to eat.
hugs~
Bec
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 PM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: I had my resting metabolic rate done

Hey Bec,
Where'd you get that done? I'd really like to know what mine is, since I'm not sure how to account for my activity level.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:09 PM

Lifterchick, this link will be able to tell you where they have it in your area. Schless posted a couple days ago on another post, that's how I found out about it. I had never heard of it before. Unsure how accurate this is. Hope there one close by you.
http://www.healthetech.com/corp/medical/medgem.jsp

hugs~
Bec
Old 03-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Barke is Done
Light-Heavyweight

there are equations that can find an approximate RMR, but the route you took is most accurate.
I Corinthians 9:27
"...I beat my body and make it my slave..."

Genesis 27:3
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison"
Old 03-18-2003, 12:18 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
Bec said:
It came out that I have a RMR of 2140 and if I want to lose 1 lbs week to eat 1930cal/day. What do you all think of this?
***********, you had told me to eat 1900cal/day. I thought that was cool that what they said also came out to what you had said. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
BTW, I read all of your 3 journals today, wow...I was exhausted by time I finish reading them. You work hard and sure can tell how dedicated you are. Protein bars are not a good thing to eat, huh? I am going to have to work on that also. I like them and it's fast and easy to eat.
hugs~
Bec

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to get you closer to what I believed was a better caloric intake for you at your bodyweight. So that's cool.

Protein bars have a lot of glycerol in them which is only one metabolite away from fat, in other words when your body changes carbohydrates to fat, it is only one step away from a fat. That's why they certainly aren't the best choice for a protein source.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Middleweight

Thanks! There are several that are close to me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]! Was it expensive, and do they include counseling or follow up? Or is it just a one time deal and then it's up to you to know how to use the information? (Or maybe I should just have Krypto tell me, since she's so accurate!!) [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:00 AM

Lifterchick, I paid $42 dollars but if I would have called around I would have found out that Bally's Gym is having a March special and they are charging $20. They try to sell you a database log to enter all your foods in and exercise for I think it was over $60 but I use fitday and it's free.

hugs~
Bec
Old 03-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Middleweight

Hey, my good friend/neighbor is a trainer and group fitness instructor at Bally's. I'm gonna see if she will do it for me! I have another question, though. You said that your metabolic rate came out to 2140, right? Was that just your RMR, or was that RMR with lifestyle and activities accounted for as well? Cuz if it was just RMR, it seems kinda high (lucky you!!!) and I think you would need to eat a whole lot more than 1900 cals to account for the other stuff.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:08 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

It's just your RMR - does not include lifestyle and activities. Your RMR is what your body burns at rest, but awake. When I did mine (at HealthSouth for $40), they had me sit quietly for about 10 minutes before they administered the test. After the test, we talked at length about my lifestyle, exercise, etc, and the guy came up with a number of additional calories he felt would be necessary to support that just to maintain.

A friend of mine went to HealthSouth and they offered a consultation with a dietitian as a follow-up to her RMR test. That was another $80 for an hour. She really got a lot out of that too. The HS by me didn't offer that, so I set up an appt with an independent dietitian for $100 that was a waste of money. I think I knew more than she did!

But I really felt the RMR test was helpful. Also, if you make any significant changes in your eating/exercise/lifestyle, you should do another one several months after you've incorporated those changes as your RMR is not necessarily a stagnant number (unless, of course, you never change anything in your life!).

Hope that helps!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Middleweight

Wow, that's amazing! I have to admit that I went back to Bec's original post for her stats and I am 3.5" taller and 5 lbs. heavier than she is, so now I'm really wondering about my RMR. The 2100-2200 I was figuring was INCLUDING lifestyle and training! Maybe there's a good reason why I'm hungry all the time.

So, just out of curiosity, what was their recommendation for your cal. intake (if you're cutting- I can't remember if you're cutting, bulking, or maintaining)? Seems like 1930 for Bec would be drastically less than RMR+lifestyle+workout, don't you think? And from the experience of you and your friend, do you think the tests are accurate in that you are following their guidelines and seeing results?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't mean to grill you! I just really feel like this is where I'm getting messed up so I'm really interested in the information you have. Thanks for sharing the link with everyone!
Closed Thread