How eating the right fats can help you lose more weight faster. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 02:35 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default How eating the right fats can help you lose more weight faster.

"How eating the right fats can help you lose more weight faster."

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
Sir Isaac Newton

If you want to learn something, simply find someone who has done what you want to do, and learn how they did it. By "standing on the shoulders of giants", you can save yourself a lot of time and effort.
Udo Erasmus is a "giant" in the field of nutrition. Maybe you want to know exactly how much fat you need in your diet. Maybe you're unsure about which type of fats are best to cook with. Perhaps you've considered adding oils (such as flax seed oil or hemp seed oil) to your diet, but you're confused about which ones you really need.
Read on, and have Udo (pronounced oo-doe) guide you, step-by-step, through the minefield of myths and confusion about the fats that heal and the fats that kill.

Christian Finn: What are the three or four key benefits of eating more of the good fats, and less of the bad fats?

Udo Erasmus: Well, let's see. I don't know if I can limit it to three or four. The good fats are defined as essential fatty acids. The body can't make them, but it has to have them, so they have to be supplied from outside.
Every cell, every tissue, every gland and every organ in the body has to have them, otherwise they can't work. If you don't get enough, your health deteriorates. You literally fall apart cell by cell. And if the deficiency is sustained long enough, then you're going to die. That's how important they are. That's part of the definition of essential.
And the good news for people who have neglected the good fats, is that if you're deteriorating because you're not getting enough, and you bring back into the deficient diet the essential fatty acids that are missing, then all the deficiency symptoms that are the result of not getting enough are reversed. You recover your health.
Research says that essential fatty acids elevate mood and lift depression. They are natures answer to the serotonin re-uptake inhibitors like Paxil and Prozac. They also calm down hyperactive kids, dogs, cats, horses and adults. People feel calmer. They deal with stress better. They don't fly off the handle as much.
Essential fatty acids also speed learning and can increase IQ by 6-9 points. They help in many of the mental conditions, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. They can help autistic kids. They also help people with Alzheimer's.
The research on women and children says that every time a woman has a child, she loses 3% of her brain weight. That must be replaced. Each child depletes her further, and each child gets less essential fatty acids than the previous child does.
Older children get the most essential fatty acids required for brain development as well as brain function. On average, they have the highest IQ in the family.
Researchers think that is why younger children in large families have far more developmental and behavioural problems. And they also think it's why women get more depression than men, as well as more fibromyalgia, more chronic fatigue, more collagen diseases, more inflammatory diseases and more auto-immune diseases, digestive diseases and allergies than men do.
Women get those from two to nine times more frequently than men, and the depletion of essential fats during child bearing sets them up for those conditions. Add digestive problems and allergies to that list.
So the researchers say the women need to make sure they have a reliable source of essential fatty acids in their diet, both for their own health and the health of their children. Unfortunately, most women don't have a reliable source of essential fats in their diet.
Some men think that women are hypochondriacs, but there actually is a reason for their higher rate of health complaints. The brain is over 60% fat, so we're fat heads! And the human brain is far larger, therefore has a greater fatty acid requirement during pregnancy, than most animals.
Essential fatty acids also have important functions in sperm formation, heart function and visual function. They increase testosterone production, optimise thyroid function, lower most cardiovascular risk factors, including high blood pressure and high triglycerides. They are anti-inflammatory, and are used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.

Christian Finn: How do we tell which fatty acids are essential?

Udo Erasmus: You cannot call a fatty acid or a nutrient essential until researchers have identified at least one biochemical reaction in the body in which that nutrient is required, and without which that reaction cannot take place. So we're talking about a real clear definition.
And the essential fatty acids come in only two sizes. One is omega-3 (also known as n-3's) and the other is omega-6 (also known as n-6's). They are required by every cell. N-3's are missing from most people's diets. Both n-3 and n-6 are missing from the diet of anybody on a low fat diet.

Christian Finn: That's the problem I see all the time. People think they should cut all fats from their diet. And that's obviously a mistake.

Udo Erasmus: If you cut all the fats from your diet for long enough, it will kill you. If you have no fats in your diet, you won't get any essential fatty acids.
One of the areas where we've done quite a bit of work over the years is in the area of energy level. We're using an oil blend that I developed for the work we do. The blend is twice as rich in n-3 as n-6. And we modelled it somewhat after the Eskimo diet, which is two and a half times richer in n-3 than n-6.
That's as high as you want to go in n-3's. If you get higher than two and a half, you'll end up with flax oil, which is three and a half to four times richer in n-3. That will make people n-6 deficient if used exclusively. This down side effect is the main reason for developing a blend of oils with a safe, optimal ratio of n-3 to n-6.

Christian Finn: Assuming that someone was using flax oil exclusively, how long would it take for this n-6 deficiency to manifest itself?

Udo Erasmus: Depending on what else is going on in the diet, anywhere between four to eight months. For someone already depleted of n-6, which happens on a low or no fat diet, it could happen even faster, within a month or two.

Christian Finn: Didn't you used to recommend using flax oil?

Udo Erasmus: I did, and then I became n-6 deficient. I got dry eyes, skipped heartbeats, arthritis-like pains in joints and thin papery skin. And now there's also some research that shows when n-3's go too high and n-6's too low you get compromised immune function. There's also a correlation with increased cancer.
At this point, prostate cancer is getting the most attention. So flax will help with cancer at the beginning, but long term - if you use it exclusively - it can actually be counter productive. The research is just beginning in that area. And now I'm seeing people with eczema-like symptoms; another symptom of n-6 deficiency, after using flax oil for a long time
Christian Finn: I understand you now recommend using hemp oil, as it contains a more suitable blend of n-3's and n-6's?

Udo Erasmus: No. I am widely misunderstood and misquoted in that regard. I don't use hemp oil. And I don't recommend it. And the reason I don't is that it's three times richer in n-6's, whereas we get our best results with oils twice as rich in n-3's. While hemp may be one of the best single oils, blending oils for maximum benefits makes more sense. Also, there's an issue of fumigation chemicals and THC with hemp which is not an issue with the oils I use in the blend.

Christian Finn: So the oil blend that you use contains the ideal mix of fatty acids based on the research you've done so far?

Udo Erasmus: Ideal from the point of view of what's going on in our population right now. If all of a sudden everyone started using flax oil, I would change the blend. What I'm doing is to always address the practical issue. Hemp is OK if you're healthy. A fairly wide range of ratios will work for healthy people.
But you have to remember that two thirds of the apparently healthy people in Western populations die from degenerative diseases that respond very well to n-3's. N-3's lower most of the major cardiovascular risk factors. They have anti-cancer properties and they make you more insulin sensitive, so they lower insulin requirements in diabetics. They work against insulin resistance caused by sweets and starches.
The n-3's have been largely removed from the diet. We're down to less than 20% of what people got in 1850, whereas consumption of n-6 has doubled in the past 100 years. Generally speaking, most people are n-3 deficient. On low fat diets, they're deficient in both.
The n-3's do a better job on energy level, brain function, and on skin - although both n-3 and n-6 are essential. We make the blend no more than twice as rich in n-3 as n-6 fatty acids to prevent n-6 deficiency, but at the same time emphasizing the missing, more therapeutic, n-3's.
Christian Finn: Are essential fatty acids useful for treating people with Type II diabetes?

Udo Erasmus: Essential fatty acids are required for insulin function. But you have to be careful when you increase n-3 and n-6, because diabetics then become more insulin sensitive. You then have to lower insulin or put them on a slower acting insulin. And most important, you need to lower carbohydrate intake at the same time. The research is clear about that.
Diabetics should be getting their carbohydrates not from complex carbohydrates, but from green vegetables. When you increase essential fatty acid intake and lower their carbohydrates by shifting them to green non-starchy vegetables, instead of potatoes, bread and pasta, you get exceptional improvement with diabetics - both Type I and Type II - but especially the latter.
We also see exceptional results in energy levels, stamina, and physical performance in athletes. We've worked with a lot of athletes.

Christian Finn: Well, that's certainly something of interest. In terms of specifics, what oils were you using? How long did it take to see these improvements?

In the human athletes, we use one tablespoon (15ml) per 50lb of bodyweight. We're using the oil blend I developed to do these studies because we think that's as close as we've seen to ideal in this situation. It's called Udo's Choice Oil Blend. Within two weeks - and sometimes within three days - they notice that their stamina increases. They recover quicker, build muscle faster, and perform better. They also focus better and sleep better.
The increase we see in stamina is often between 40 and 60% in athletes who push the limits of their performance - the ones who exercise to exhaustion. Within a couple of weeks of starting on the oil blend at 15ml per 50lb of bodyweight, a cyclist, who was doing 90km a day to exhaustion, was able to do 146km. We're talking about a serious increase. A boxer, instead of working out an hour and a half to exhaustion, is now doing two and a half hours. It's a dramatic increase. Athletes also build muscle faster.
Some of the kickboxers we worked with were putting on muscle so fast they were ending up in the next higher weight class. They didn't want to do that because they hadn't beat up everybody in their own weight class yet! They had to lower the daily dose of the oil so they didn't put on the muscle so fast.
In horses and dogs we use less oil than in humans. With dogs and cats, we give them about a teaspoon per 80lb of bodyweight.

Christian Finn: And is that what you recommend for someone wanting to lose weight?

Udo Erasmus: Losing fat is really what you're talking about. We tell people to start small (1 teaspoon) and increase gradually to take as much oil as it takes to get their skin soft and velvety. And the reason we do that is because the skin gets essential fats last and loses them first.
Essential fatty acids have vital functions in the vital organs, but you can live with dry skin. Nature's wisdom says skin gets them only when everywhere else has what it needs. So it's a good way to measure it. When your skin becomes dry it means you need more of the right kind of oil. Mix the oil in your vegetable and your protein foods.
In winter, when it's cold, people notice that their skin is drier than in summer. When that happens it's nature telling them to take more of the right type of oil. Again, take enough to make skin velvety smooth. It ballparks to about a tablespoon per 50lb of bodyweight.
It's different for different people, but your skin will always tell you. If you sweat, you'll lose more. If you have a fever you'll burn more, so the skin gets dry. You're burning more essential fatty acids as part of the bodies mechanism to deal with whatever the cause of the fever is. Your skin will always tell you how much oil you need.
When a woman is pregnant, her child will draw essential fatty acids from her body to build its brain. But again, the woman can tell how much she needs by her skin. If she breast-feeds, the child will take about 11 grams of essential fatty acids out of her body every day through breast milk. So she needs about a tablespoon just to replace what the baby pulls out of her, plus however much she needs for her own body.
Again, her skin will tell her. That's the way to measure it. About a tablespoon per 50lb of bodyweight - less in summer. I need 60ml in winter and I can do it on 45ml in summer
Christian Finn: So you change it according to the season?

Udo Erasmus: Yes. It changes by season but I do it by how my skin feels. In summer, my skin will be fine on 45ml, and in winter I'll need 60ml. If I go to a dry climate where everybody has dry skin, all I do is take a little extra oil and that takes care of keeping my skin properly oiled.

Christian Finn: Why does that happen?

Udo Erasmus: When you get enough essential fatty acids in your diet they form a barrier in the skin against the loss of moisture. They are nature's moisturiser. When you don't get enough you lose moisture through the skin. That'll also get you constipated, because then your body pulls water out of your stool to replace what you're losing through your skin.
Now let me get back to weight loss, or fat reduction. If we give people 45 to 75ml a day of the blend, we consistently see thirty to fifty pounds of fat reduction in a year in obese people who need to lose a lot of fat. Research has confirmed the importance of the right fat diet (rich in essential fatty acids with emphasis on n-3) for weight management.

Christian Finn: What else do you tell people who want to lose weight?

Udo Erasmus: We tell them to lower their carbohydrates, to get the majority of their carbohydrates from green foods.
Most people think that eating fat will make them fat, so they lower their fats if they're overweight, and eat more carbohydrates. That's completely wrong. The carbohydrates they eat that they don't burn will turn into fat. Most of the overweight in Western society comes from people eating more carbohydrates (sweets and starches) than they burn.

Christian Finn: Isn't that what the data shows? Even though carbohydrate intake has gone up and fat intake has dropped, obesity has increased.

Udo Erasmus: That's right. Not eating fats will make you fat. Fats suppress appetite. Any fat will do that. That's why Atkins' diet works. But he doesn't pay attention to the quality of the fat. The good fats, especially the n-3's, inhibit fat production in the body by limiting the activity of genes that make enzymes required for fat production. They do this at the genetic level.
That means the n-3's act like hormones, acting on the genetic level by turning up and turning down gene activity. That's pretty cool! N-3's do this better than the n-6's. N-6's do it to a small extent and, the research says, monounsaturates, saturates, and trans-fatty acids don't do it at all.
N-3's turn up the genes that make the enzymes required for fat burning and thermogenesis (blowing off calories as heat), and they can raise metabolic rate. We've seen this in a lot of people. N-3's also enhance glycogen production. They shift the body from burning more carbohydrate to burning more fat. In addition, n-3's (and n-6's to a small extent) turn up the genes involved in fat burning. They slow down fat production, and speed up fat burning and heat production.
Essential fatty acids also elevate mood and lift depression, so people are less likely to overeat because they're depressed. They decrease inflammation, which means that they'll help you lose water held in tissues because of inflammation. Water retention is part of overweight in some people.
And, because they give you more energy, better mood, and they make your skin nice, you're more likely to feel good about yourself to want to take care of yourself. So there are a number of different reasons why they help in weight reduction. My view is they are the most important and most neglected aspect of weight reduction.
All of the weight loss programs are fat phobic. When you go off the diet, you get fat again because they taught you incorrectly to avoid fat.

Christian Finn: What do you think is the ideal diet for weight loss?

Udo Erasmus: Number one is green foods - because you can't get fat on them. They're also the nutrient richest foods. Number two is good fats. They have anti-cancer activity, they lower cardiovascular risk factors, they're required for insulin function, they suppress appetite, increase fat burning and decrease fat production.
Number three is protein, because so many structures are made from them. Then you limit the carbohydrates to what you actually burn. Carbohydrates are good fuel, because they burn clean. But if you eat more than you burn, your body must turn that into fat.
The diet based on greens, good fats and protein is a good diet for diabetics, it's a good diet for people with cardiovascular disease, it's also a good diet for people with cancer and also a good diet for people who are healthy and want to remain that way.

Christian Finn: Would you say that is a suitable diet for athletes as well, or would you change the emphasis and add more carbohydrates?

Udo Erasmus: If athletes are really pushing performance, they'll burn a lot more carbohydrates. So they can get away with what most people can't get away with.

Christian Finn: There are specific fats, such as medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and CLA, that have been promoted as an aid to fat loss. What's your opinion on those?

Udo Erasmus: MCT are not anywhere close to what the n-3's can do, simply because they don't affect fat production and fat burning. They don't suppress appetite the same way either. They are not essential nutrients. But they do, to a small extent, help. They're a bit lower in calories. But I don't think it's that big a deal. We use MCT in the oil blend because they have some health benefits, including anti-microbial, cholesterol-lowering, and improved fat absorption.
CLA is a trans-fatty acid. It is not an essential fatty acid. And it should not be called LA because it's not linoleic acid anymore. So the name is misleading.
It is made from sunflower oil through an industrial process. It's cheap to make but expensive to buy. It does have some antioxidant properties because it's a conjugated system. It also has some anti-cancer properties.
The studies done with CLA in animals have mostly not been confirmed in human studies. A main reason appears to be that 25 to 50 grams (2-4 tablespoons) would be needed to match the dose (1-3% of food weight) given to animals. There are also some side effects at these doses in animals, such as liver swelling.
I don't use CLA. I don't recommend CLA. I think primarily there's a lot of hype there. It's not something that's natural to the human body. I would just as soon stick to the basics, the essential fatty acids that we must have to be healthy.

Christian Finn: You mentioned trans-fatty acids back there. We're always told to replace butter with margarine in order to cut down on fat intake. But margarine contains a lot of trans-fatty acids. What exactly is a trans-fatty acid and why are they so bad?

Udo Erasmus: Trans-fatty acids are made mainly in the process of turning a liquid oil into a spreadable fat. Margarine's, shortenings, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil contain trans-fatty acids. These are twisted molecules.
They change in shape from cis, where the hydrogen's are on the same side of the molecule, to trans, where they're on opposite sides. When the hydrogen's are on the same side of the molecule, they crowd each other, so they push apart, and that bends the molecule.
When they go on opposite sides, the molecules straighten out. So they're different in their shape in space. And everything in biology and biochemistry is about shape in space. Things have to fit, and it's very precise.
Trans-fatty acids do not work like the essential fatty acids from which they were made. And research shows that the trans-fatty acids found in margarine's, shortenings and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils double the risk of heart attack. They also kill at least 30,000 Americans every year. I think it's probably more like 300,000.
They also correlate with low birth weights in human babies. They change the way the immune system functions. They interfere with insulin function. They increase diabetics problems. They interfere with liver detoxification. They interfere with visual function in kids and they lower IQ by interfering with cerebral cortex function. They also correlate with increased prostate and breast cancer. They change reproduction in animals - they decrease testosterone, increase abnormal sperm and interfere with pregnancy.
And butter, the way to look at it in my view, is it keeps at least one creature alive - a calf! So it has, in nature, some survival value. Butter is easy to digest. But it is low in essential fats. It also contains anti-microbial fatty acids alled palmitoleic acid. They protect the gut from unfriendly micro-organisms.
Margarine's don't have any of that. They're low in essential fats. They contain altered (toxic) molecules, not just trans-fatty acids, but others as well.
Margarine's were never better than butter. That notion was pure misrepresentation by advertisers. If you're not getting enough essential fatty acids, the saturated fats in butter can crowd those down further.
So the most important thing people need to know, more important than removing bad fats from the diet or limiting saturated fat intake, is to bring in and optimize the good ones that they can't live without. That done, to the point that your skin is soft and velvety, frees you to eat butter. Or to have whipping cream in your coffee. Or to eat a tub of sour cream once in a while! I do that.
But optimizing n-3 and n-6 must come first. You can live without butter, but not without essential fats.
Christian Finn: Do you suggest avoiding margarine altogether and replacing it with butter?

Udo Erasmus: I don't recommend margarine at all. Even the ones that don't have trans-fatty acids. They're made out of over-processed oils that have been treated with sodium hydroxide, window washing acid, and bleach, then fried before they go in the bottle.

Christian Finn: You say that the only liquid suitable for cooking is water?

Udo Erasmus: Yes, from the perspective of optimum health. When you fry fats, you increase the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. When you change fat into smoke, you know you've changed the chemistry. So from a health point of view, frying does not make any sense.
It may interest you to know that when I was a kid, cooking meant the preparation of food using water. Over the course of my lifetime, cooking has come to mean frying. The drive behind that change is the industry that makes money on fats.
If you cook with water that just comes out of your tap, it's more or less free. But oils make money. So the industry has gradually changed the perceived meaning of the term cooking to mean frying, because they want to sell oil instead of having the public use water instead.
Traditional cooking was done by steaming, poaching, boiling and pressure cooking. Cooking turns fats from natural to unnatural. You also burn the food. When you turn food brown, the brown on the food is toxic, because you're changing molecules.

Christian Finn: So is this the difference between extra virgin olive oil and olive oil?

Udo Erasmus: Extra virgin olive oil has not been through Drano, window washing acid, bleach or high temperatures. Olive oil may have been. Extra virgin olive oil is the only oil in the supermarket that has not been destructively processed.

Christian Finn: So if an oil isn't labelled unrefined then avoid it?

Udo Erasmus: That's correct. Avoid it if you want to be healthy. It should also be organic if you want to avoid pesticides and believe in sustainable agriculture. It should also be packaged in brown glass.

Christian Finn: Why are all these other substances, such as Drano and window washing acid, added to oils?

Udo Erasmus: Drano is sodium hydroxide. It's good for cleaning our sinks when they clog up. It's really corrosive. It's added to oils to remove minor ingredients that have major benefits on health but shorten oil shelf life. The industry is more interested in the shelf life than they are in health. Same with the window washing acid, phosphoric acid. Same with bleaching. All done for shelf life, but at the expense of health benefits.

Christian Finn: And the oil blend you promote is manufactured differently, right?

Udo Erasmus: I got poisoned in 1980 by pesticides. And when I got poisoned, I had cancer to look forward to because the pesticides I sprayed cause cancer. Doctors couldn't help me, so I started looking at nutrition. I started studying fats, because I knew that fats and cancer have a connection, and I thought I should understand the basis of that fact.
The n-3 essential fatty acids, I found, protect you from the toxic effect of pesticides even if they stay in your tissues. When I learned about the processing and the damage that's done, I asked myself, "Why doesn't anybody care?"
After my book came out in 1986, I decided that we should be making oils with health rather than shelf life in mind. In 1987, I developed methods for doing so. That requires protecting oils, while they're being made, from light, oxygen and heat. We put them in brown glass bottles. We put a box around the bottle to keep the light out.
I think plastic is unsuitable, is bad stuff, for packaging liquids - water, milk, juices, oils, and vinegar, because liquids wash the containers they're in, and can dissolve some plastics ingredients. Case in point: you can taste (unknown) plastics ingredients in water that has been packaged in plastic bottles.
We protect oils from light, oxygen and heat, because those three damage oils during processing. We modified the machinery to give oils that protection, and we give them that protection throughout the process. And then we keep oils refrigerated or frozen.

Christian Finn: So does that rule out using capsules in plastic bottles?

Udo Erasmus: Plastic packaging is more of an issue for liquids. Oil swells the polyethylene. There are a lot of issues with plastic - fillers, pigments, stabilizers (because plastics are not stable or inert) mould releasers, heavy metals, and so on. Plus plastics are not really recycled. They go in landfill, mostly.
There are also the hormone disrupters that you find in some plastics. That's the thing that got me twigged on to really looking at plastics more seriously. When I read about that in 1993, I said, "Gee, I don't think plastic packaging for oils was such a good idea", and changed to glass.

Christian Finn: And does that apply only to oils, or capsules as well?

Udo Erasmus: Capsules give you more stability and that's good. The oil does not come in contact with the plastic, and that's also good. But there's still an environmental issue and an issue of unanswered health questions. So we put our capsules in glass too.

Christian Finn: There seems to be some confusion about linseed oil and flax seed oil. People think they're the same, but they're not, right?

Udo Erasmus: Linseed is the paint grade oil. It's used for painting furniture. But it comes from the same flax seed. The difference between the two is that linseed oil goes through Drano, window washing acid, bleach and then it's fried.
If you keep it fresh, and you make it with health in mind and protect it from damage, then what you have is flax oil. We actually developed the difference in name when we started making flax seed oil for human consumption, because we didn't want there to be any confusion.
I don't recommend fish oils because they're rancid - which means they've been damaged by oxygen. That's why they smell and taste fishy. If your fish smelled and tasted like that, you'd be throwing it out. If the fish is fresh, the oils are in their natural state and not rancid. That's why I recommend fresh fish and fish oils.

Christian Finn: So when you talk about fish, we're talking about salmon, herring and mackerel?

Udo Erasmus: That's right - the high fat, cold water fish - salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel, albacore tuna, and trout are some of the main ones.

Christian Finn: How do essential fatty acids fit in with high protein diets such as the Atkins diet?

Udo Erasmus: Essential fatty acids are required for protein metabolism. If you're on a high protein, low fat diet the protein can have toxic effects on liver and kidneys and eventually the brain as well.

Christian Finn: What's your opinion on the Atkins diet?

Udo Erasmus: What Atkins told people was rather than eat meat and potatoes, eat the meat and leave the potatoes. What he didn't do is pay attention to the quality of the fat. I recommend nature's diet, which is in some ways like Atkins' diet, but emphasizes green vegetables, good, natural fats and proteins - the essential foods.
There is nothing in carbohydrates you can't get elsewhere. Atkins is right about the benefits in people with diabetes and overweight. But I've met people on Atkins' diet who lost 50lb and got colon cancer, because they were eating fried bacon and the fat on steak.
He didn't tell them about how important it is to make an oil change. I think he's collected a fortune fighting for the point that fats don't make you fat, and he deserves some credit for that.
His diet is a little easier than mine. In mine, you have to make changes. I lose half of my audience immediately when they hear that. What Atkins has done is give people a diet that has some benefits in some conditions, but, eating the meat and leaving the potatoes isn't going to get them the best of health.

Christian Finn: Have you ever seen essential fatty acids used to help underweight babies gain weight?

Udo Erasmus: Yes. There is some research on that. It has to do with digestion and nutrient absorption. Some of the kids that are underweight are not digesting and absorbing the nutrients. Essential fatty acids are a part of gut integrity. They play a role in the absorption of the oil soluble nutrients as well. And because they increase energy levels in our cells and tissues, the tissues are able to function more optimally.
That's one of the reasons why they optimise thyroid function and testosterone production, together with serotonin production in the brain. By the way, type I diabetics also often have trouble gaining weight. Essential fats can help them greatly if used correctly.

Christian Finn: Are there any downsides to increasing our consumption of essential fatty acids?

Udo Erasmus: The downside is that there are some drugs that need to be monitored when a person increases consumption of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids. That includes high blood pressure drugs, blood thinners, and also serotonin re-uptake inhibitors. You want to taper them down as you inch your way into the Right Fat Diet. My view is that you want to live in line with nature in preference to doing things the pharmaceutical way.
I don't want to throw poisons at symptoms. I want to deal with causes. And most of the causes of degenerative conditions are nutritional. Nature's primary medicine for the past three and a half billion years has been food, water, air and light. They are nature's primary health care and nature's medicine.
Most of the degenerative diseases that we suffer from in the 21st century are the result of what we have done to our food supply. We've removed or destroyed components of health found in foods made by nature in order to give those foods a longer shelf life.
In other words, the convenience and profit of manufacturers has become more important than health. That's just how it is. More health comes from the farmer, the grocer and the health food store than comes from the Doctor's office. Sadly, far too few people understand that clearly.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: How eating the right fats can help you lose more weight faster.

Wow. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 12:54 AM

Bump for babivirgo.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Post deleted by flats31

Old 03-26-2003, 12:53 AM

Thanks Showdown. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

BUMP again for florida_rjs. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2003, 07:28 PM

BUMP for Teddygirl.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:16 AM
realjones should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

what is it with you and fat Krypto [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

That's a very interesting read. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2003, 04:55 PM
a-folov should change his/her status!
National Champion

Fat = good. I've been preaching this for a while.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Bump for Bladezz33 and Gwindalynn
Closed Thread