Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Members Only Database! > Archived Training

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 07:22 PM
Sniper99 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Location: Williamsburg, VA or Alexandria, VA near Washington, DC
Default Arm size not increasing.. help!

Hey all, I havent measured my arms since the end of summer (August) I did so today, and found they are about 16 inches, pretty huge to be sure, but not much bigger than they were in August... I have recently switched up my arm routine and think that will help, but Im wondering what else is going on -- do I need to eat more? Do no cardio (I only do 40 mins of cardio a week as it is, and that 40 mins is usually HIIT). Im leary of both of these options because my body LOVES to store fat. And it takes me months to lose it. I have lost 30lbs since I started lifting 8 months ago -- not fast loss, but I have done it without muscle loss (in fact with muscle gain). Anyway Im afraid if I eat more / cut out cardio completely Ill pack on the fat. As for my diet itself, it is only OK but can't really be improved. Unfortunately I live on campus and cant cook (illegal in dorms) - I do the best I can with the campus food, but no matter what it tends to be a carb fest or a grease fest. Any suggestions appreciated!
Weight: ~214lbs
Arms: ~16.5" right, 16.25" left
Calves: ~17.5" right, 17.75" left
Quads: ~28.25"
Chest: ~46.5"
Old 10-18-2001, 07:26 PM
LP2k should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Arm size not increasing.. help!

whats your tricep/bicep/forearm routine and how much protein are you getting aNd how many calories do u get? ...how much do u weigh?
Old 10-18-2001, 07:35 PM
danceswithbarbell should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Geeze, you have done so well under the most trying conditions and you really have a good working knowledge of your own body. Excellent.

It maybe food that needs to be looked at if the arms are not growing. But, before you do that is the rest of you growing? Legs, back, chest?
If these are and your arms are not then maybe look at your arm routine. However if the rest of your growth has stagnated, then it may be time to dial up the calories,SLIGHTLY.

~DWB~
Old 10-18-2001, 07:36 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Tricep:
Standing Tricep Presses, drop set to ehaustion, on chest day (just changed to these).

Bicep:
Preacher curls
Dumbell Curls
Concentration Curls

3 sets of 8-10 on all.

Forearm:
Wrist Curls
Reverse Wrist Curls

3 sets of 8-10 on each.

Diet:
I typically eat a healthy cereal in the morning. Lunch varies too much for me to say. Today I had two chicken sandwiches. Dinner is usually something high in protein such as chicken and a burger, steak, etc. I know I "should" eat 6 meals a day - but Im in college, and really dont have the time for that, especially since I have to go to a dining hall to eat (not to mention I hate eating alone =P). I know this probably slows my gains some, but plenty of people get huge eating 3-4 meals a day like me. Looking at that, perhaps I need more protein? Because some days the only significant source of proteing I get is at dinner. I take no supplements.

Calories, Im unsure. All I know is that I can gain fat on 2000 or less calories (If I didnt exercise.. slow metabolism sucks).

I weigh around 199 now, started this whole thing at 230 - im 6'1"
Old 10-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Light-Heavyweight

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>If these are and your arms are not then maybe look at your arm routine. However if the rest of your growth has stagnated, then it may be time to dial up the calories,SLIGHTLY.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I was thinking... Im probably not eating enough. I hate the food so much that I tend to not eat as much as I should probably. (I cant wait to move off campus so I can cook some real food!!!) I just changed my arm routine recently, we'll see if that helps... As for the rest of me, I dont really have reliable past measurements, but I dont seem to be growing that fast. So, that said, Im going to try upping the calories a bit -- meanwhile Ill watch to make sure Im not adding fat all over.. lol.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:41 PM
Sex&Religion should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Sounds like your gains were just the whole, genetic intitial stuff, ya know. Increase the protein I say.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:47 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Ok, so heres what Im looking at doing. Keep the workout the same (its brand new, Ill giveit a chance to work =) ), keep the light cardio (for aerobic health if nothing else), up my calories a little, and change the distribution to one of higher protein. Sound good?

Thanks for the advice all!!
Old 10-18-2001, 07:51 PM
danceswithbarbell should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

S and R's right. The problem may lie in the lack of protein.
I know it's a hassle, but it is so important that your have a serving of protein at every meal.

It's a shame, to not do all the hard work you do in the gym justice, by missing out on some the most vital nutrients.

Keep striving.

~DWB~
Old 10-18-2001, 08:08 PM
LP2k should change his/her status!
Lightweight

i think you should stick to the basics with a proper diet and workout routine that is swiched up every month and gains should come along
Old 10-19-2001, 12:09 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Yeah, that's what I think. It takes extreme measures for your arms to get huge. Which means lifing heavy wieght for years and staying dedicated to a BB diet.
I know its a pain in the *** sometimes, but BB's don't eat like that cause its fun. But because they know that's what they have to do to get optimum results.
I'm not trying to be offensive by this statement, but you get what you put into it.
these three things have to be in balance in your life to get huge.
eat big + lift big + sleep big= Get Big!
If any of those areas is lacking you will never reach your full potential.
Also, I could give you a routine that will blow your arms up if you want. Let me know.
I know you can do it man, you just have to pre-plan your meals out. I'm in school too, and work-full time. Its a pain in the ***, but you can do it, it just depends on how bad you want it.
Later. Adam.
Closed Thread