Down For The Count - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Down For The Count

I need some help here. A week a go I fractured a rib, in my upper chest area. This is incredibly painful, and am unable and advised against lifting for a bit (3wks). I can understand why, because I tried even light lifting yesterday and this caused me pain. Who knew that your pectoral muscles and ligaments etc, are used in almost all that we do! Crunches even cause pain. I am still able to do cardio, but I don't want to do too much either. I am afraid that I am gonna lose all my hard work at the gym, and become 'skinny chick' again.

Is there a way to maintain muscle mass/body composition when NOT weight trainig, temporarily? Should I adjust anything at all? Keep eating as much P/C/F? Any ideas anyone? I could still train legs, but, my training will be limited as I am unable to lift anythiing too heavy right now. I'd be limited to machines with weight stacks and pins, since I can't lift any of the heavy weight plates that I'd need...not to mention I am unable to lie on stomach for lying leg curl either. Doing cardio 3-4xwk is still o.k ?...I am soo pissed with myself for this stupid injury, and discouraged. I am hoping that 3wks will not set me back too far. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 03:33 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Down For The Count

Boy, I'm no expert and would advise you to ask your doc, but it sounds like any lifting whatsoever would be out of the question. Even lower body work incorporates your trunk area, so you're probably hosed there.

I would definitely keep up the cardio if you can, and perhaps whatever stretching you can comfortably do. Are you able to do. I don't think you'll be set back greatly in 3 wks. Many of us take an intentional week off periodically, so you're only talking a couple of weeks beyond that. You may have to start a little lighter when you do go back, but I'm amazed at muscle memory. It really won't take long at all to be back at 100%.

Try not to stress about it. Just take care of yourself and let your body heal. Look at the big picture. This is just a small blip on the radar screen. Hang in there!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:42 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

First and foremost I would FOCUS on getting well, and not exercising out the ying yang. I know it's gonna be really tough, it would drive me nuts as well, but you're going to have to let your body heal.

I don't think you'll lose a lot of gains, maybe just a small amount, like a few measly lbs on lifts but that is something that will come right back quite quickly once you get back into it. Heck, I've lost some poundages off my lifts just from cutting my calories! Within 2-3 weeks after I bumped my calories back up to maintenance, I got the strength right back and have now gone beyond what I could lift before.

I would focus on getting well and your diet. What were you doing as far as your macronutrient ratio (P/C/F)? Only thing I would do is probably cut down on the amount of carbs you're eating, depending of course on what you were previously consuming. I'd continue to keep the protein high.

Oh, and how in the world did you manage to crack your ribs?! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Lightweight

Well, how I broke my darned rib is a bit of an embarrassing story.....I was bench pressing dumbells (25lbs each) WITHOUT a spotter. Normally I could press this weight. When my left hand got to the top of press, my wrist pivoted and this totally changed the center of gravity on the weight, and I could no longer control it...as a result, the weight came crashing down onto my chest...felt as though my left t*t was being ripped off! I was too independent to ask for a spotter, being the only gal in the weight room that day. I have learnt a VERY valuable lesson, though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

My macronutrient profile has been roughly 41%P,31%F,27%C, is this sufficient to maintain for just doing cardio 3xwk? Should I increase Protein a bit more? Oh and my usual daily caloric intake has been between 1600-1800cals/day...should I come down a bit, since I won't be training at all, and just doing cardio 3xwk for 30-40mins?

~~Thanks for not scoffing at me, as I'm already being hard enough on myself as it is, for this blunder of mine [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 09:34 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> Well, how I broke my darned rib is a bit of an embarrassing story.....I was bench pressing dumbells (25lbs each) WITHOUT a spotter. Normally I could press this weight. When my left hand got to the top of press, my wrist pivoted and this totally changed the center of gravity on the weight, and I could no longer control it...as a result, the weight came crashing down onto my chest...felt as though my left t*t was being ripped off! I was too independent to ask for a spotter, being the only gal in the weight room that day. I have learnt a VERY valuable lesson, though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]<hr /></blockquote>

Ooh, ouch! Sorry to hear that! Yeah, I know what you mean though, I'm the same way. Altho many times I get guys coming up to me asking if I need a spot or just volunteering in general, so that's kinda nice being that I'm usually too stubborn to ask. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
My macronutrient profile has been roughly 41%P,31%F,27%C, is this sufficient to maintain for just doing cardio 3xwk? Should I increase Protein a bit more? Oh and my usual daily caloric intake has been between 1600-1800cals/day...should I come down a bit, since I won't be training at all, and just doing cardio 3xwk for 30-40mins?<hr /></blockquote>

That sounds okay, I'd try to stay right around 25% carbs. That would actually equate to 40P/25C/35F. Should be okay, but only YOU can find that out for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
~~Thanks for not scoffing at me, as I'm already being hard enough on myself as it is, for this blunder of mine [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Scoffing at you? Now why in the world would I do that? Silly. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:49 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hey I hear 'ya on the spotter thing. For me it's more a matter of not wanting to interrupt someone else's workout. Everyone is so darn focused, I hate to break their flow or routine. So I end up either pushing more than I should, and then not going to failure because I'm afraid I'll hurt myself. Or....slowing down the reps to a crawl so I can still get to failure with less weight. :-(
Old 02-19-2003, 12:09 PM

ooooouuuuccchhhhhh!!!

Thanks for posting that and bringing it to everyone's attention. Spotting is important even if you have to ask a trainer to help! I have done the same thing w/o injury. I'm going to be better now that I've heard what could happen!

I hope you heal quickly. Don't try to do too much too soon or it will set you back even further.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Lightweight

Yes, your absolutely Right!! I hope anyone can learn from my experience...because I know that I certainly have! For me, it means either asking for a spot, or lowering weight and slowing pace down to gin failure, or perhaps finding a gym that has all thos fancy hydraulic weight machines....but I really do LOVE the free weights!! We'll see, each day, I am getting stronger. Another good lesson to learn is ALWAYS wear your sunscreen...I just had a cancerous mole removed today...boy, am I getting it from all angles huh? Anyways,my determination is still strong and the cancer was localised, so surgery was all that was required for treatment.....got to watch certain aminos now though, like leucine, and lysine...apparently they speed up cancerous grwoth (if any are already present)...so wear you suncreen ladies and don't be too shy or proud to ask fr a spotter!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]