yo-yoing = slow metabolism - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 07:03 PM
hilltowner should change his/her status!

Default Re: yo-yoing = slow metabolism

Your gut is right; as long as you keep your calories that low, your metabolism will never be anything but slow. I'd say go to 1600 or more, adding gradually, as Krypto has suggested to others; 100 every other day or so.

Let me just give you my stats as an example since we are similar size; I'm almost 5'3", 113-115 pounds (42 years old). I maintain on around 2200. So please don't be scared of going over 1200.

Krypto laid out everything already; let me just emphasize:

[ QUOTE ]
Also, we are concerned about BODY COMPOSITION, NOT the scale weight. Who cares what you weigh if you look like a fitness model, right? <hr /></blockquote>

because I noticed where you referred to your "normal weight" as being much lower than what you weigh right now. My suggestion? Forget what you think is "normal". If you add an adequate amount of muscle you may weigh 120,125,130...it won't matter as long as you look and feel good.

Another point; there is much more range for a healthy calorie level (meaning it doesn't have to be an exact number) than some people think. What I mean is, once you get your metabolism cranked up, you can get away with more discrepancies. If you eat 1000 more one day, you won't add 1/3 of a pound; your body will just turn up your metabolism and burn it off. A handy side effect [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 11:34 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: hilltowner:</font><hr> ...
Another point; there is much more range for a healthy calorie level (meaning it doesn't have to be an exact number) than some people think. What I mean is, once you get your metabolism cranked up, you can get away with more discrepancies. If you eat 1000 more one day, you won't add 1/3 of a pound; your body will just turn up your metabolism and burn it off. A handy side effect [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<hr /></blockquote>

Exactly right! At 5'5" 142 lbs, I maintain on an average of around 2450-2500 cals but there have been numerous days I've been way above that, up to as much as 3100! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] And guess what? I continue to REMAIN between 16-18% body fat, my body doesn't even notice if I give it more some days. Plus, my appetite goes right along with my activity level, the more I exercise, the hungrier I get, I believe my body knows what it's doing, it wants more usually just when it NEEDS more calories. So for the most part I listen to my body, using my brain to differentiate between want and need, I just try to be smart about the way I eat.

So there is certainly a reward for having a decent amount of muscle mass on your frame. You can get away with cheats and increases in calories way better than those individuals with little muscle mass. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:13 PM
mdr should change his/her status!
Rookie

alright...well, so far these last few days have been ALMOST great! but my fault for the late afternoon (small extras). not as bad as usual, but i'm not doing that anymore. so...here's what my general day will look like, and has so far, except for my slip-ups
what do you think

6-7am cardio (mond/wedn/fri) Spin or Eliptical or treadmill
*7:30am - myoplex lite shake (on my way to work - i teach)
*10:25 - protein bar- designer whey(inbetween classes)
*1:30 - FF/LF cottage cheese (1c?) mixed with 1/2 yogurt
and an orange OR chicken breast on 1/2 pita and
orange [some kind of protein and carb]
*4:00 - [again, a portion of protein and carb/vegg]
*7:00 - dinner with my husband (protein-chicken/turkey, carb, veg)
8-9pm Lift with my husband, or tues/thurs spin with him
sat/sund 1hr cardio

on the weekends when i have more time to eat "cooked" meals...
oatmeal with protein in the morning
egg whites/veggie omlets

i've got to go, but does this sound "semi" ok? gotta go to the gym, my honey just got home

Old 02-20-2003, 09:19 PM

Looking better... are your total calories coming up some?

Is there any way you can add some carb to that protein bar; like maybe an apple or other fruit?

Old 02-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Rookie

SNOWED IN...i'm from northwest ohio...and we must have gotten 6in or so...it's crazy. of course, being a teacher, i wish it were tomorrow, so we didn't have school
so, i was going to go to the gym this AM, couldn't go...couldn't get out of my driveway and i don't know if they even openned at their normal time. but i am going tonight 3-5 for lifting/60min spin.

so far...my eating feels good, clean and 3 hrs apart (accidentally 4-4.5 at a meal, bc of where i was) and i know i can't except my body to jump right into this, but my weight is still up and even another lb(121). i know it can be water-but this is steady weight, and i know i may gain before i lose this extra, but i'm just trying to keep blind-faith, bc i know what i'm doing is good for me. i just PRAY that my body isn't holding onto these cal. bc it still thinks it's not going to get much food. but i AM hungry for my next small meal, each time, so i think that's a good sign.\
a sample...yesterday- Saturday, Feb22

9am: 1/2 c FF cottage cheese, 1/4 c applesauce, 2 handfulls of cereal (honey crisp, that has flakes and clusters)

10-11am 60min spin/abs

11:30-12: 1/2 protein bar, 10 raisins (i LOVE raisins - and i know i shouldn't have them bc of the sugar spike), 1/2c LF cottage cheese, with a little crushed pineapple

1pm: can of tuna, mustard, on a low-sodium rice cake and a pickle

5:30-6: Deli turkey with 1/2c broccoli, with a little FF spagheti sauce.

9:30-10:30: Bob Evans Grilled chicken salad (i LOVE grilled chicken salads) with 3 egg whites and an orange
and an ice cream sandwich (weight watchers)

as i'm going through it and even yesterday, there were a few things in there that i know i shouldn't have, but i thought it was PRETTY good, but not nearly what i should be doing. i need to write out a specific plan instead of a general idea. and STICK to it! there were a few times that during a meal/snack i would eat a few bites of oatmeal w/ yogurt, or cott.cheese so....

isn't there a different thread, like a progress thread to post these things too? i think i remember that, i'm going to check that out as well, so i'm being accountable. thanks for ALL the feedback you give me!! I NEED IT!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 12:15 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
mdr said:
...but i AM hungry for my next small meal, each time, so i think that's a good sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">Yes, that's an excellent sign!</font>

[ QUOTE ]
9am: 1/2 c FF cottage cheese, 1/4 c applesauce, 2 handfulls of cereal (honey crisp, that has flakes and clusters)

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Where's the fat?! And only about 14 grams of protein, ooh, I don't think that's enough.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
11:30-12: 1/2 protein bar, 10 raisins (i LOVE raisins - and i know i shouldn't have them bc of the sugar spike), 1/2c LF cottage cheese, with a little crushed pineapple

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">Not enough protein or fat.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
1pm: can of tuna, mustard, on a low-sodium rice cake and a pickle

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">Oooh, bad, bad, bad, rice cakes, insulin spiking, not good for fat burning. And once again, where's the fat?</font>

[ QUOTE ]
5:30-6: Deli turkey with 1/2c broccoli, with a little FF spagheti sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">I can definitely see you're scared of eating fat. I guess I need to dig up some info on why you need to eat fat to burn fat and why it is so vital in your diet. Also, I doubt a few slices of turkey was enough protein.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
9:30-10:30: Bob Evans Grilled chicken salad (i LOVE grilled chicken salads) with 3 egg whites and an orange
and an ice cream sandwich (weight watchers)

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">You still gotta watch that weight watchers stuff, sometimes it can still be loaded with sugar. Hope there was enough fat in the chicken. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Now don't get me wrong, you're doing great so far, just a bit more tweaking to be done, that's all, it takes time to get the diet right. Heck it took me about 4 months til I finally got it right! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyway, hope this helps! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]</font>
Old 03-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Rookie

i'm not quite understanding what's going on...please check this out, and HELP ME!
so, i think i'm doing this 95% right and my body is NOT responding like it should. i'm holding a little water this week bc of my monthly cycle, but it's still another 3lbs up (fat)not muscle, that doesn't get put on like that. and in the last place i need more, of course...outside of my thighs!
so, a typical day--except this last week i got slammed with being sick, but i still worked out (as best i could) except on thursday.

5:30am - chicken breast
6-7 some type of cardio (usually spin) or treadmill/eliptical
7:30am - myoplex lite
10:30 - protein bar (designer whey, or eas carbcontrol)
1:30 - 1c ff cottage cheese with 1/2 yogurt and strawberries mixed in OR chicken salad with strawberries and vinegar for dressing
4:30 - (sometimes, here is where i slip A LITTLE) sometimes, a LITTLE cereal, few handfuls? or a pieces of raisin bread WITH my protein snack...chicken or cottage cheese
* if i didn't do cardio in the morning, i come at around 4:30-5:30
7:30 - dinner with protein, lit.carb, veg. my husband makes dinner on tuesday's (he's health conscious as well) and makes a healthy dinner, but he adds in olive oil - fat i KNOW i SHOULD get, that i don't do usually....ONLY bc my fat on my body is still increasing

So, what am i doing wrong? i don't understand??? i'm trying to be so good and shouldn't this work? i can't even look at myself, it gets pretty bad.
i keep telling myself - give it time....but i can't take my weight(as fat) going up ANYMORE&gt; i'm biting my nails, trying to keep with this, eventhough my rewards are NOT there? i have been following this for 2.5 weeks i think (2-3)
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Old 03-09-2003, 11:58 AM

What are your calorie intakes and ratios? It looks kinda light on carbs and it's hard to tell if it's enough food.

Undereating will slow you down bad; your body will NOT let go of fat if it thinks you are starving. BTDT.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:33 PM
pasha should change his/her status!

yes, it sounds like you should eat more carbs. especially in the morning. it's all trial and error. it takes some time to figure out what works for you. try the high intensity cardio for about 20 mins on an empty stomach. after that eat a balanced meal. some eggwhites, bowl of oatmeal and some almonds for fat. then have a bar or a shake midmorning. i try to stay away from bars and shakes and only eat them in emergency cases. (also try to cycle your carb/calorie intake. keep your body guessing)
but the most important thing right now is that you DON'T PANIC. don't fall back in your old patterns (it didn't work before either, did it?) i don't know how long you suffered from eating disorders but it usually takes a long time for the body to understand that it should react normal again. and also for the soul. i know. i've been there. all i can say is that there's a way out.
you write the fat on your body is still increasing;
have you had your fat measured? if not, do it. maybe every couple of weeks (be aware of your cycle). and throw your scale out of the window. or at least put in the attic. i know this is hard.
and are you still lifting? read krypto's first post again. she pretty much covered the subject. it's most important. not only for those muscles to grow but also for your peace of mind. it's kind of healing. (did i just write that?....)
don't lose it now, okay?
pasha [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks Jennifer for holding me on the computer last night...i guess i just really hit bottom...SO frustrated. i'm hanging--that's all i can say right now.
i wish this [*%#*%*#](pardon my language) would get going and stop going the wrong way. it's just difficult, bc when i wasn't eating as healthy as i am now, i wasn't gaining this weight...NO reason for it. eating clean, and 3-4hrs, SMALL slips...and HORRIBLE results? i swore, maybe i was pregnant...i know, sounds stupid bc of no other signs...but i just cannot understand this weight gain...and it's not getting better. IT"S NOT MUSCLE--i know the difference.
Closed Thread