Please critique my diet - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:20 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Please critique my diet

I posted this on the Nutrition/Supp forum, but there are some of you here who's opinions I respect that I don't often see on that forum, so I thought I'd post this here too.

I'm really try to pay better attention to what I eat, how often, and how much p/c/f I'm getting. I've been lifting for about 2 yrs, but really seriously for only a year or so. I'm not afraid of bulking up - in fact, I wish I had more mass. I still carry some fat around my midsection which I'd like to get rid of.

I just started the 12 wk to fat burning workout today. I looked at the diet too, but it's hard for me eat that way with my weird hours and the fact that I'm cooking for a family, so I'm posting here a pretty typical eating day for me. Please let me know what you think. The calories seem a bit low, and some days I eat more, but often just not that hungry.

And if it helps you critique me, here's my stats: I'm a 5'6" female who weighs 125, sans clothes ). I lift for 1 to 1-1/4 hr a day, 4x/wk, and I do cardio 2-3 times a week (2, 20 min HIIT sessions and 1, 30 min stairmaster session). Goal - more mass less fat.

Here's what I ate today:

4:00am-5:30am workout
6:00am whey shake w/glutamine
8:30am 1C regular oatmeal, 1 tsp sugar, cinammon, splash of soy milk
10:00am low-sodium V8 juice
12:00n pouch of tuna w/2T FF mayo, chopped pickle, celery on 3 slices melba toast; tomato slices(I was stuffed after this!)
2:00pm mini-yogurt cup
4:30pm mini lowfat cottage cheese cup with diced peaches in own juice
7:00pm dinner will be chicken breast w/warm black bean salsa, green beans, and a baked potato
9:00pm whey shake

My totals for the day come to: 1388 calories, 135g pro (40%), 167g carbs (45%), and 22g fat (15%)

I usually have more veggies than this in the course of a day, and sometimes I'll throw in a piece of string cheese or a handful of nuts. So there it is. Comments, suggestions, please! (and thank you!)
Old 02-10-2003, 09:11 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Please critique my diet

Just my opinion of course but.....

I'd lose the starchy carbs after 5 pm or so (the fiberous ones are still ok). I'd also up to protein % or lower the carb % more like 60%P 20%C20%F. Do you think that is enough calories for you? It seems low. I'm no expert, I'm just feeding back to you what others have said to me!

BTW, what supps are you taking?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Yep, the calories seem low to me too, but I'm just not hungry. Supps right now whey protein, glutamine, and flax seed meal. I sprinkle the flax into my oatmeal, yogurt, etc.). I'm going to sub Udo's Choice Oil Blend for the flax once I find it a bit cheaper. But that's it supp-wise for now.

And thanks for your feedback. I'm looking for honest critque, even if it's not pretty! LOL!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:21 PM

How about a good multi-vitamin and some EFAs? Creatine?would help preserve your LBM
Old 02-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Super-Heavyweight

I'm thinking about adding creatine too, but can only do so much at once w/the cost of all this stuff! LOL! And yeah, I do take a multi, plus additional E, C, Calcium, and D.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:55 PM

Tell me about it! My husband is pre-contest and he supplementing me out of the house! Do you shop on line for stuff? www.esupp.net has some good deals!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:26 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: schless:</font><hr>...Goal - more mass less fat.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">I can give better assistance if you would prioritize which you would like to do, build more mass or go for the cutting of the fat?

In any case, I can advise at least on the foods you're eating.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I ate today:

4:00am-5:30am workout
6:00am whey shake w/glutamine
8:30am 1C regular oatmeal, 1 tsp sugar, cinammon, splash of soy milk<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">I wouldn't wait so long after your workout to have those good carbs. Post workout is a critical time, critical that your body gets the calories and nutrients it needs to recover and build those muscles! Having carbs post workout is the best time to have them. The chances are VERY slim that any of the carbs would be stored as fat since your body's glycogen stores are depleted after a weight training workout.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
10:00am low-sodium V8 juice<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Not enough. Not enough calories and this meal is lacking in adequate protein and fat. Also juice isn't such a good choice of carbs as juice is a fast burning carb, not good for fat burning.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
12:00n pouch of tuna w/2T FF mayo, chopped pickle, celery on 3 slices melba toast; tomato slices(I was stuffed after this!)<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Not enough fat. Use REGULAR mayonaise. Be sure to use 100% stoneground whole wheat bread.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
2:00pm mini-yogurt cup<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Yogurt isn't such a good choice for carbs or protein. Most yogurt has TOO MANY carbs and too much sugar,not good for fat burning. I doubt there's enough protein in one of those too.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
4:30pm mini lowfat cottage cheese cup with diced peaches in own juice<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Can't recall whether or not peaches are a good choice for carbs as far as fruit goes. Rule of thumb is that if it's a fiberous fruit, it's okay, like apples, grapefruit, and berries. Not sure if peaches are considered fiberous or not. LAM would probably know. Also, not enough fat in this meal.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
7:00pm dinner will be chicken breast w/warm black bean salsa, green beans, and a baked potato<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Cut out starchy carbs for the last two meals of the day and actually white potatoes are never a good choice of carbs. Anything WHITE breaks down into sugar too quickly in the bloodstream causing insulin to rise to rapidly for fat burning to occur. Eat green veggies for your last two meals of the day. But again, this could be an exception as far as carbs go depending on whether you are more interested in gaining mass or losing fat.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
9:00pm whey shake<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Where's the fat? Protein and fat ALWAYS, carbs not necessarily every meal, again, depending on your goals, whether you want to gain muscle or lose fat.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
My totals for the day come to: 1388 calories, 135g pro (40%), 167g carbs (45%), and 22g fat (15%)

I usually have more veggies than this in the course of a day, and sometimes I'll throw in a piece of string cheese or a handful of nuts. So there it is. Comments, suggestions, please! (and thank you!) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Yep, your calories are too low. TOTAL protein is okay but you need to be more consistant with it. You need to feed your body equal amounts of protein thruout the day as it's constantly rebuilding tissue i.e. muscle tissue. Fat intake is too low. Carbs, well, it depends, on whether you want to focus more on losing fat or gaining muscle.

Hope this helps. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] </font color>
Old 02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Thanks for this critique, Krypto. I was hoping you'd chime in as I so respect your opinion and the results you've achieved.

So OK, sounds like I can't both lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, is that right? If I have to pick one over the other, then I'd say lose the fat first since I don't have much to lose. Then once that's off I can focus on building more muscle.

What does that mean then in terms of diet? It sounds like I'll do one thing to lose fat, then switch to something different to gain muscle. Is that something you can just put into a nutshell description? Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-11-2003, 11:30 AM
hilltowner should change his/her status!

Excellent advice from Krypto! I always use a PW shake (20 g P, 40 g C)immediately after lifting and feel that it has really helped my progress.

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like I'll do one thing to lose fat, then switch to something different to gain muscle. Is that something you can just put into a nutshell description? Thanks a bunch!
<hr /></blockquote>

I'd be interested in this too; I pretty much have my BF down to where I want it, but would like to add muscle. I realize that only in my fantasies can I add muscle without adding *any* fat, but what do you think is the best way to add some muscle with *minimal* fat gain?

I know my maintenance calories are right around 2200.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2003, 03:23 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: schless:</font><hr> ...So OK, sounds like I can't both lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, is that right? If I have to pick one over the other, then I'd say lose the fat first since I don't have much to lose. Then once that's off I can focus on building more muscle.

What does that mean then in terms of diet? It sounds like I'll do one thing to lose fat, then switch to something different to gain muscle. Is that something you can just put into a nutshell description? Thanks a bunch!
<hr /></blockquote>

Eh, that's not entirely true. I've still been managing to gain muscle AND lose fat. It's just that you need to FOCUS on one or the other and ideally, you will be able to actually do both.

A very basic concept is just that you need to eat MORE of those good cutting foods in order to gain the muscle.

There are just some other small differences that I personally do whether I'm cutting or bulking. One difference is that if my goal is to gain muscle, then my post workout meal will be more lax as compared to if I was cutting. For bulking, I might have a mini-pizza, or have some honey on a piece of toast (in other words more fast burning carbs) for post workout. I tend to be more lax when bulking in the foods I choose to eat.

For cutting, I'm more strict with the types of foods I choose to eat and I keep my carbohydrates lower. I eat a higher ratio of carbs when bulking and I usually cut down on my fat intake at the same time. For bulking, I may do a 40P/40C/20F or a 40P/35C/25F and I eat as much as I want. I basically eat enough to never get to the point to where I feel really hungry.

It's really kinda difficult to give you exacts cause I basically just try different things to see what works best for me. I just learn a lot of this stuff by doing, by using myself as a guinee pig. I make small changes whether I'm eating to gain or lose, but those small changes are usually enough.

For example if I'm cutting, I won't eat any starchy carbs for my last two meals of the day, conversely if I'm bulking or even just maintaining, I won't hesitate to eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal right before bed. Things like that. It's just what I've discovered works for me. I know that I can eat that starchy oatmeal before I go to bed and it doesn't negatively affect me as far as gaining fat. I wouldn't do it if I were cutting though. See what I mean? It's what you discover for yourself. I can give everyone general guidelines but when it comes down to it, it's all about knowing YOUR body and how it reacts to your diet and training methods. Also, I eat according to my training. If for example, I only trained arms today and tomorrow I'm not training at all, then I probably won't have a bowl of oatmeal before bed tonight. But if I've got speed skating practice the next morning and I'm hungry for that oatmeal before I go to bed, then I'll eat it. I base how I eat according to my training and what works for me. I pretty much eat as much as I want at breakfast and post workout and still maintain my bodyfat. Hope this all makes sense, I think if I keep going on and on I'll just be beating a dead horse, lol.
Closed Thread