Any ladies 40 and over? - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:08 PM
hilltowner should change his/her status!

Default Re: Any ladies 40 and over?

Speaking of cellulite; an interesting article was posted on another kewl board I frequent (www.leanandstrong.com):

"Cellulite is a term coined in European salons and spas to describe deposits of dimpled fat found on the thighs and buttocks of many women. Widespread promotion of the concept in the United States followed the 1973 publication of Cellulite: Those Lumps, Bumps and Bulges You Couldn't Lose Before, by Nicole Ronsard, owner of a New York City beauty salon that specialized in skin and body care. Cellulite is alleged to be a special type of "fat gone wrong," a combination of fat, water, and "toxic wastes" that the body has failed to eliminate. Alleged "anticellulite" products sold through retail outlets, by mail, through multilevel companies, and through the Internet have included "loofah" sponges; cactus fibers; special washcloths; horsehair mitts; creams [A, B, C] and gels to "dissolve" cellulite; supplements containing vitamins; minerals and/or herbs [A, B, C]; bath liquids; massagers [A, B]; rubberized pants; exercise books; brushes; rollers; body wraps; and toning lotions. Many salons offer treatment with electrical muscle stimulation, vibrating machines, inflatable hip-high pressurized boots, "hormone" or "enzyme" injections, heating pads, and massage. Some operators claim that 5 to 15 inches can be lost in one hour. A series of treatments can cost hundreds of dollars.

"Cellulite" is not a medical term . Medical authorities agree that cellulite is simply ordinary fatty tissue [1]. Strands of fibrous tissue connect the skin to deeper tissue layers and also separate compartments that contain fat cells. When fat cells increase in size, these compartments bulge and produce a waffled appearance of the skin. Many years ago, Neil Solomon, M.D., conducted a double-blind study of 100 people to see whether cellulite differed from ordinary fat. Specimens of regular fat and lumpy fat were obtained by a needle biopsy procedure and given to pathologists for analysis and comparison. No difference between the two was found.

[ ]

The amount of fat in the body is determined by the individual's eating and exercise habits, but the distribution of fat in the body is determined by heredity. In most cases reduction of a particular part can be accomplished only as part of an overall weight-reduction program. Endermologie may temporarily improve the appearance of dimpled areas, but the procedure is time-consuming and expensive. Liposuction may permanently help in some cases."

There is more to the article; here's a link to the whole thing on the quackwatch website.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...cellulite.html

Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: odirish:</font><hr>...
My clothes are tight and if I increase my calories, I don't think I'll get into them. I have been eating like this for 2 years. I had reduced my calories to 600 (I know!!!) but I was able to get to 136 and I looked decent.My goal is 130 lbs. My current BF% was measured at 35% but I was not 100% hydrated. Personal trainer told me he believes my BF to be about 30-32% when completely hydrated. For my age, I was told that a 20% goal is attainable by summer. I get discouraged and always end up quitting. My weight has stayed at 150 for about 4 weeks now. I did see a dip to 149 (wow) then right back up. Can you help? I am at a loss. <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto to everything Hilltowner said. I have a few things to add as well.

You said, "My clothes are tight and if I increase my calories, I don't think I'll get into them. I have been eating like this for 2 years." Okay, so can we agree then that how you are eating is OBVIOUSLY not working? Right? And as Hilltowner already said, you are ALREADY eating way too little calories. Sooo, what options do you suppose you have left as far as your nutrition goes? You obviously cannot drop your calories any lower and you have already learned what happens if you do. You may lose the weight but it will be muscle weight leaving the fat which will give you a flabby and shapeless look. Then, when you finally "crack" and cannot sustain eating only 600 calories a day, your body is gonna put the weight right back on. I'm sure you can see that this is not something you want.

I'll tell you what has happened here, as Hilltowner has already pointed out, you have basically screwed up your metabolism BIGTIME by eating so few calories. The ONLY way OUT of this dilemma is for you to slowly INCREASE your caloric consumption. You are just going to have to TRUST us on this. As many women here can attest, they actually saw more fat loss at a HIGHER caloric intake than they previously were consuming. See, there is a fine line between eating too many calories and too few for fat loss to occur. You basically have to "trick" your body into burning fat for energy. It is done by eating ADEQUATE calories while consuming "clean" foods. Right now your body is NOT going to give up any fat because it KNOWS it is not getting enough calories. It's gonna fight you tooth and nail, holding onto that fat. That's just what happens when your body is not getting enough calories and it figures that out. You are fighting a LOSING battle by having such a low caloric intake. And like you said, TWO years, and still NO success?! So then you've got to realize that you MUST do something different. Only way to go is to INCREASE those calories. You've GOT to fix your metabolism or you'll never win this battle.

The way you fix your metabolism is to slowly increase your calories. You do it slow enough to allow your metabolism to wake up and kick in. Just add 100 calories every other day, being sure to eat every 2-3 hours, meals balanced with plenty of protein, some carbs, and fat. Try one of the macronutrient ratios that Hilltowner has suggested. Adding 100 calories every other day is nothing, that's so slow of an increase. Don't, I repeat do NOT panic if the scale shows a weight increase. This is normal at first, usually mostly due to WATER weight and NOT actual fat. You may gain, AT FIRST, but you MUST trust that it is only TEMPORARY. Once your metabolism kicks into gear you will be burning WAY more calories and as you continue to eat right and lift, your body COMPOSITION will change, as in, more muscle, LESS fat, giving you a sexy, toned look. Don't even worry about that stupid scale. It's how you LOOK that counts. Even if you DO happen to stay at 150 lbs, (hypothetically speaking), if you look like a fitness model would you really care what the stupid number on the scale says? Probably not. Eating more calories is gonna jump start your metabolism, allowing your body to burn more calories and giving your body enough calories to build that precious muscle you NEED in order to lose that fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you are going to burn even at rest. Well, if you can't BUILD any muscle cause you're not giving your body enough calories to do that with, then how are you gonna burn the fat? The MUSCLE on your body is what BURNS the fat calories! And like I said before, with your taking in too little calories, it does not matter how much exercise you do cause all that's gonna happen is that your body is going to KEEP burning up your muscle and keeping the fat because it is in starvation mode. The more muscle you lose, the LESS fat calories you are burning!!! It turns into a viscious cycle cause the more muscle you LOSE the LESS calories you burn so the MORE you end up DROPPING your calories in order to lose more, more what? MUSCLE!! This is NOT good, not the way to go to get that shapely, toned body you desire. Only MUSCLE can give you that sexy shape.

So please listen to us, we're here to help and we know what we're doing. You HAVE to raise your calories eating clean foods. There is a bodybuilder's grocery list I believe in the nutrition forum which lists "clean" foods, those types of foods you need to eat, ones conducive to fat burning. If one of the foods you are eating is NOT in the list then you need to question it, as you probably should NOT be eating it. Some rules of thumb for eating clean are:

1. Avoid sugars like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

2. Avoid processed foods, like those in a box and anything made with white flour. White flour is overprocessed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well.

3. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.

4. Avoid starchy carbs like corn, bread, pasta.

5. For your last meal or two of the day, have only green veggies for your carbohydrates.

That's all I can think of for now. Knowing which foods are conducive to fat burning and which are not is a learning process. It took me MONTHS to finally understand the concept to just KNOW which foods are good to eat for fat burning or maintaining my leanness. If you hang around here long enough you will learn it too. Feel free to ask questions. I can try to explain some of the concepts to you so that you will be able to choose your foods wisely. But it does take a while to learn that, don't get frustrated, it'll come with time. I didn't just know this stuff all at once. Anyway, I realize this was long but I hope it helps you. I really wanted to make sure I got my point across I guess cause it's just so important to your success.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:49 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Bladezz33:</font><hr> My Yahoo board is a hoard of compiled ARTICLES and my PERSONAL journal and the success I have had so far with fat loss - my main problem cellulite - I just wanted to share it.

I also want to let you know (Krypto) I am NOT trying to pull anyone away from here, there is alot of good reading.
and I also enjoy the posts.

I may be a bit stubborn - [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bladezz <hr /></blockquote>

It's just that when you come here and right off the bat start posting "come over to my group", it's as if Abc isn't good enough, that's how I take it anyway. I guess I considered it rude, or poor etiquitte. I don't go on other discussion boards posting the link to Abc, I just think that's disrespectful. If I really thought a particular individual would benefit from Abc, I would either pm them or email them just out of respect for that discussion board. To me it's just not very respectful to be advocating links to other discussion boards, it's as if to say the one you're posting on isn't good enough. I suppose it's just my opinion but how I feel is how I feel (and with me it just comes out) and I didn't take it too well when I saw you posting your link all over the place (at least more than once). Having it in your profile however is different, that I wouldn't take offense to. I don't know, what can I say, it just didn't go over well with me. Maybe it's wrong of me to feel that way (I suppose it's cause I just have a lot of pride in Abc) but it's not something I have control over, I can only SUPPRESS those feelings, which isn't good either cause then it just builds up, always better to get it out in the open.

It's not an issue of being worried that you'll "take" members from here cause heck, I frequent more than just this discussion board as well. And of course I don't expect members here to only visit Abc, that's proposterous. You learn by getting input from many different sources, I wholeheartedly believe that, but the difference is just that I don't advertise the other boards I visit on the one I'm on at the time. I hope that all made sense. Just trying to explain where I'm coming from. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 05:32 PM
odirish should change his/her status!

So if I were to increase my calories, would I see an increase in my weight before I see a decrease? My clothes are already tight. If I do gain weight, how long of a period till I expect a drop in my weight? Can you provide a typical days menu at 1800 cal. I do have FitDay. I thought I was told my BMR is 1300, what is that? and if it is calories burned at rest then why wouldn't I lose at lower calories?

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Please try not to get too caught up in what the scale says; as Krypto posted

[ QUOTE ]
if you look like a fitness model would you really care what the stupid number on the scale says? <hr /></blockquote>

I personally know women who are size 5/6 at 150, and size 4 at 140. The scale knows nothing about how much is muscle and how much is fat, and that's what really matters. Not just in how you look, but the more muscle you have, the more you can eat and burn off. I am 113 and I maintain at 2200-2300 a day, minimum.

BMR is an estimate of what your body requires just to lie still in bed all day. You cannot just start chipping off calories from that number, especially considering all your exercise activity plus everything else you do all day, because by doing so, you throw your body into starvation mode; as Krypto said

[ QUOTE ]
Right now your body is NOT going to give up any fat because it KNOWS it is not getting enough calories. It's gonna fight you tooth and nail, holding onto that fat. That's just what happens when your body is not getting enough calories and it figures that out. You are fighting a LOSING battle by having such a low caloric intake. <hr /></blockquote>

Your body will not give up fat until it knows you are not going to starve to death. Please trust us on this.

Here's an 1853 day:

1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup (dry measure,before cooking) steel cut oats
2 tab wheat germ
1 tablespoon flax oil
2 oz half and half in my coffee

7 3/4 ounces apple
4 ounces lean ground beef patty

3 cups mixed salad greens
3 oz tuna
1/2 Haas avocado
2 tab lowfat dressing

5 ounces beef sirloin, cooked weight
banana
ear of corn

Protein shake (38 g protein)

Try to eat mostly lean protein and unprocessed carbs like oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, fruit, veggies etc. Make sure you get a decent amount of healthy fat.

I have to ask, what kind of input has your trainer had on your diet, since they're willing to estimate a possible BF% for you?

Old 02-08-2003, 08:09 PM

I have replied here twice, but my post seems to get lost. If I eat 1800 calories, will my weight go up even though I am lifting weights? If it does, how long could I expect to gain before I start to lose weight? I was told my BMR (??) is 1300 something. Is that resting metabolism? If so, why wouldn't I lose weight if I ate less calories or even worked out? I do have the FitDay Journal. So you don't think I should go with higher protein?

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 08:23 PM

I have sent 4 replies but they are not here. If this one goes through, I will answer the last post.

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 08:26 PM

Found them!! sorry 'bout that.

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 10:06 PM

I definitely trust your advice, I've seen your pictures.
Do you suggest that I start with 1300 cal. and build from there? I believe you said 100 xtra every other day right?
As far as the personal trainer, he was up front with me and said that his specialty is not nutrition. At least he wasn't bluffing his way through it. I'm not sure what to shoot for, one says 40/40/30 and the other says 40/30/30. Is this a mistake? I know I'm going to panic when I see the scale go up. That's all I ever see, the scale go up!! I'm going to start this tomorrow. I will sit down with FitDay and try to plan out 1300 if that's what you think is a good starting point. Also, by protein shake, do you mean the MRP or just the Whey Protein and water? Thanks

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 11:31 PM

I typo'd earlier, sorry; I meant either 40/40/20 or 40/30/30.

I know what you mean about the scale; I bet we've all been there! But lemme tell you what happened with me; I was stalled at around 124 for months, even on BFL. I was only eating around 1300-1400 then.

I changed programs and bumped my calories to about 1600 (I also dumped cardio). I lost 5 pounds in the first few weeks. I kept moving them up gradually, and in the last 6 weeks (of 18 total) I was averaging 1850 a day. During those weeks, I lost 6 more pounds, which actually netted out to 9 pounds of fat plus 3 added pounds of muscle.

I use both MRPs (Myoplex Lite) and just plain protein powder. If I'm using one at night, though, I don't use whey because it gets absorbed too quickly; I use a blend like MetRX Protein Plus, Dave Draper's Bomber Blend, or www.proteinfactory.com's Night Formula.

Good luck, I really hope this helps [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Closed Thread