Any ladies 40 and over? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Any ladies 40 and over?

I have a site that is based on my weight-loss diary and how I got there through weight-training. I have researched many informative articles, many links and resources, it helps to come to forums like this.

...come & visit, it will give you some insight and motivation if you'd like...no need to join [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FatLoss_PearShape/

Bladezz
Old 02-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Ladybug should change his/her status!
Stranger

I must be the matriarch here - LOL! I just turned 50 and have never been in better shape in my life! It does take longer for most of us, but in the last 9 months my body shape has completely changed. Lost 35 lbs, about 12%BF, lots of inches. Nutrition is key in my opinion, probably about 80%. Put nothing in your mouth but nutritious foods and you won't desire those sweets anymore. Continue lifting as heavy as you can, do your cardio, drink that water! It CAN be done at this age!

Old 02-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Cherie should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I will be 47 in March. I have been lifting for 3 years and love my new physique! My two teenage daughters are proud of me and I hope I am a good rolemodel to them nutrition and exercise wise, they are my major ego boosters!
I haven't really lost that much weight as weight goes, but I account that to fat versus muscle poundage, my shape has changed totally.

Cherie
Old 02-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Bantamweight

Great job Cherie!!!

Bladezz
Old 02-08-2003, 02:04 AM
odirish should change his/her status!

I checked out your Yahoo Board and decided to join. I had
posted before that I cannot lose 1 ounce. I am currently working with a personal trainer. I lift 3 days a week. I don't get in as much cardio as I should but I do eat clean.
I'm trying to keep calories around 1100-1300. I just added choline to my diet hoping something will happen. If you have any answers, I'd love to hear them. I am stuck at 150.

Mary Ann
Old 02-08-2003, 02:31 AM
Cherie should change his/her status!
Middleweight

hi odirsh,

Can you give some more input on your height/weight etc? How long have you been eating so low cals? What does your diet consist of exactly? Maybe you are eating too few calories! How long are the cardio sessions and what do you do? Do you lift heavy?

Cherie
Old 02-08-2003, 02:45 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: odirish:</font><hr> I checked out your Yahoo Board and decided to join. I had
posted before that I cannot lose 1 ounce. I am currently working with a personal trainer. I lift 3 days a week. I don't get in as much cardio as I should but I do eat clean.
I'm trying to keep calories around 1100-1300. I just added choline to my diet hoping something will happen. If you have any answers, I'd love to hear them. I am stuck at 150.

Mary Ann <hr /></blockquote>

Cherie has asked great questions! If you will provide us with some more info, I am POSITIVE we (Abc Women's Forum) can get you going in the right direction into losing fat again. You'll get all the right information you need HERE as well as great support! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Right off the bat I can tell you with 99% certainty that your calories are WAY too low. You cannot lose an ounce because your body is sensing starvation.

Provide us with some more info and we'll be glad to help. I can guarantee you that you'll get all the help you need here. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 01:57 PM
odirish should change his/her status!

I am 50/yo, 5'4" and weigh 150#. I lift heavy 3x's a week with a personal trainer. I try to get in 30 min. 3x's a week on cardio. I hate cardio. I walk on the treadmill at a 10% incline at 2.6 to 2.7 (I have a balance problem due to inner ear surgery) Sometimes I do 30 min. on the elliptical. I am not consistent on cardio.I added choline
2 capsules 3x's a day to my diet and 2 capsules of Flaxseed Oil 1x a day. Here is a typical days meal:

1. 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal/protein powder (1 scoop)
2. 1 scoop protein powder/ 4 oz. water
3. 4 oz. chicken/1.5 cups of veg.
4. zone bar
5. maybe a tangerine, sometimes oatmeal/protein powder.

My clothes are tight and if I increase my calories, I don't think I'll get into them. I have been eating like this for 2 years. I had reduced my calories to 600 (I know!!!) but I was able to get to 136 and I looked decent.My goal is 130 lbs. My current BF% was measured at 35% but I was not 100% hydrated. Personal trainer told me he believes my BF to be about 30-32% when completely hydrated. For my age, I was told that a 20% goal is attainable by summer. I get discouraged and always end up quitting. My weight has stayed at 150 for about 4 weeks now. I did see a dip to 149 (wow) then right back up. Can you help? I am at a loss.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:22 PM
hilltowner should change his/her status!

This is just not nearly enough food. I did not put it into fitday, but it's definitely less than 1000 and prob more like 800, isn't it? It cannot be enough of any macronutrient for you.

I know it is hard for many people (not just you) to grasp, but undereating is JUST as bad as overeating for weight loss. In fact, it may very well be worse because you are messing up your metabolism bigtime by doing it. I myself completely stalled at 1400 until I moved it up to 1600-1700, and I'm smaller.

When you reduced your calories so low, the scale went down, but mainly because you were losing primarily muscle. This is not good.

You need to eat at least 1800 at your current size. I would say drop the cardio for a bit and just lift on your 3 day schedule, just to give your body a chance to adjust.

Zone bars are crap, btw. Eat real food, and try to get protein, carb and fat at each of 5-6 meals. I wouldn't have protein powder more than once a day. I do think you will have to go through a period of just healing your metabolism. And bumping up your food intake may seem hard at first, but within 2 weeks you will be hungry every 2-3 hours, I promise.

If you don't mind using fitday or another food tracking program, see if you can do about a 40/40/30 or 40/30/30 nutrition split (P/C/F).

HTH
Old 02-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Bantamweight

My Yahoo board is a hoard of compiled ARTICLES and my PERSONAL journal and the success I have had so far with fat loss - my main problem cellulite - I just wanted to share it.

I also want to let you know (Krypto) I am NOT trying to pull anyone away from here, there is alot of good reading.
and I also enjoy the posts.

I may be a bit stubborn - [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bladezz