Any ladies 40 and over? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 07:44 PM
luvmypt should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Any ladies 40 and over?

Just curious. I'm 46 and am having a heck of a time losing just an inch or so. I lift 5 days/week HEAVY! and don't eat a lot of junk. It seemed when I turned 40, my waist began to GROW! I'm not overweight- I weigh more than I ever did however, (142 vs 132) but I'm tall 5' 10". I've always been a bit bottom heavy but since lifting, I've managed to broaden out the top so I'm more in proportion.

I'm just amazed at my body's refusal to give up that critical inch or so to get me into my size 8! When I was in my 20-30's, I lost 2 dress sizes in about 1 month doing nothing but cardio 3 x/week. (size 10 to 6)

Has this happened to anyone here? Is this perimenopause rearing its ugly head? Am I doomed to be a size 10 or larger? Will I never see a 25 inch waist again????
Old 01-26-2003, 10:08 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Any ladies 40 and over?

As your metabolism slows steadily (usually starts age 30)- not significant changes but suttle changes occur.

You have to reduce calories and start cardio training as well as weights. Weights build muscle and increase resting metabolism.

Try my site for help. No need to join, but I can't give all answers in one page. Many components need to be addressed, your body type, diet, daily caloric intake, etc.
Are you lifting heavy or toning?

I have more articles on diet and nutrition:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FatLoss_PearShape/

Bladezz33
Old 01-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Bantamweight

I lift heavy! I get in 20-30 min cardio 2x/week. Perhaps I need to crank up the intensity of the cardio.

We eat a lot of fish and I've been eating sweet potatoes instead of white. When we eat red meat, it is extra, extra lean. I'd say my down fall is my glass of wine I have when I come home from work. I don't make desserts anymore but I have a hard time bypassing the sweet stuff people bring to work...
Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Actually, wine is not bad (good for blood) if you only drink 3-8oz. glasses a week; any more liquor than that is defeating purpose.

Bladezz
Old 01-27-2003, 03:05 PM
clhertz should change his/her status!
Stranger

i'm 42 and didn't have any problems loosing weight until i was about 38.Now i have to really work at it.I think it has something to do with hormones and our ages.Just kick your workout up a bit and see what happens. I am on HRT and their hasn't really been any difference in my weight.

Cindy
Old 01-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Bantamweight

Just an FYI. Had my yearly OB/GYN today. I think a majority of my problem has to do with fibroids!!! Looks like I'm headed down hysterectomy highway. I guess the ones I have are the size of a 14 week fetus.. I'm to go in for sonograms in March to see exactly what's going on down there. Thank goodness it's something defineable.. I was beginning to wonder.

Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
clhertz should change his/her status!
Stranger

I had a hysterectomy a few year ago. I love it. They did mine vaginally. The only problem that i had was they lacerated my bladder and i had a catheter for a week (it had to heal after they repaired it). I had a c-section before that and the scar tissue attached to my bladder. The surgery itself wasn't so bad though. Good luck

Cindy
Old 01-29-2003, 06:50 AM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I'll be 41 in about 5wks and i feel and look better than i ever have.
I train 6days a week and do cardio 5 of those days.

Some things in life are just a priority and that means ~ me!
Everything else will just have to wait.
margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 01-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Bantamweight

Here's the scoop. I've been actually counting my calories for a few days now. I'm averaging around 1800/day. According to various web site calculators, my basal metabolism rate = 1387. Does this mean I need to consume less than my average (1800) yet more than my 1387 in order to drop a couple of pounds? As far as trying to figure out how many calories I'm burning in the Y lifting, I'm stumped. The calculators tell me anywhere from 187 to 307!

I actually don't care about my weight in pounds per say. I just feel I'm carrying a little too much pooch even with the fibroid issue. Maybe if I can burn a bit more fat, I won't feel so bloated in the belly...

Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:02 PM
GoMom should change his/her status!
Rookie

I am going to be 42 in March. I am back lifting after a 3 year hiatus. I am just starting to get a hold on my diet. I am 5foot 3 and I weigh about 128-130. Before I started lifting again in early Jan of this year-I weighed about 133. Thats the most I've weighed since pregnancy in 95'. I blame it on poor eating HABITS and no self control at night (eating junk). Plus not lifting and of course that ugly thing....pre menopause. I got the book by Dr. John Lee about pre- menopause and immediately started on progesterone cream. Good thing! Seems I was estrogen dominant. Weight gain in low ab area, overall "Coating" increased appetite and decreased energy, severe PMS, sore breasts, mood swings!! Everything is getting back to normal. Plus I've got back into protein (whey-low carb) and no junk at night (that had to happen) and increased intensity on cardio. I own a Lifecycle and have gotten in some double cardio on non lifting days. Also, as I get back into this I plan on "cycling" my weight trainin. Its a shock principle that gives good results. After all these years in the gym, this body adapts VERY quickly! Also am taking Flaxseed oil gel 1000mg 2x a day. It promotes good hormone balance and also helps use fat as energy! If you dont get enough Essential fats in your diet, you can eat clean, clean, clean and never burn that extra 5-10 pounds off. It's a real heartbreaker getting old(er) I refuse to get "old". The trick is to learn about our bodies. Muscle and Fitness mag does very little for us. Good articles on lifting. But we are a special lot! God Bless. T
Jesus said to her."I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord," she told Him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
John 11:25-27 NIV

Closed Thread