How much muscle will you lose?? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:47 PM
precious should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default How much muscle will you lose??

HI everyone,

I have a question about cardio & muscle loss.
Everyone says how doing too much cardio will lead to muscle loss. How much muscle will you actually lose by doing cardio?

I am trying to get my BF% down and am doing weight training and cardio. Is 4x/week for 30 mins a session too much?
And how much weight training should I do to help?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: How much muscle will you lose??

i would say weight training 3-4 times a week and cardio 3 times a week is good for someone who is trying to cut down on bodyfat! its what i am currently doing and its seems to be working as i have not lost any muscle and have lost some bodyfat.

as far as cardio time limits, 30-40 minutes is ok. have you tried a 20 minute high intensity type of cardio? also, try and do your cardio on your non-training days! if you can't, do it at the end of your weight training.

i'm not sure on the actual amount of muscle loss though, maybe someone else can answer that...

p.s. don't forget about your diet... its a VERY important element in decreasing bodyfat.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
MaxC should change his/her status!
Middleweight

How does too much cardio cause muscle loss? After a certain amount of time doing cardio, does the body actually use muscle for fuel in a way that damages/diminishes the muscle? Or do we take a look at an elite marathon runners and say "look 3% body fat with very little mass, therefore running 12-16 hours a week must cause muscle loss/damage?"

What would it look like if you did both cardio and BB at a serious level? I assume you wouldn't reach your potential in either, but would one hurt the other to a great degree?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:09 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i think how much muscle is lost, if any, is dependent and different for every person. if you eat and train right you may not lose any at all. it depends in the individual.

i think its with excessive amounts of cardio that you have to worry about muscle loss the most, but i'm not sure.

again, wait for the experts on this site to chime in!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Article that explains muscle and protein turnaround. You won't lose muscle unless you "overtrain" ...

link: http://www.femalemuscle.com/library/weekly/aa051900.htm