I started working out with a girl... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 07:54 PM
FJ0 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default I started working out with a girl...

Alright, obviously I'm a guy. Anywayz, a friend of mine wanted to start working out so I took the liberty of inviting her to my gym. She enjoys working out with me, however I am wondering what I should help her with.

She's fine with doing legs and that goes well, I got her doing squats and leg press and all already so that's a great start. However, how should I help her with a split? Should I just have her do full body workouts every other day or split it up? She says she doesn't want to interfere with my schedule, although I don't really mind changing my routine.

Anyway, I don't exactly want to get her bench pressing lifting hard and heavy, so what upper body exercises should I have her do, should we do 1 or 2 or 3 muscle groups a day, or just work everything? How many sets and reps should I have her do since she wants to get "toned"? What do I tell her when she says "I don't wanna get big". What nutrition advice can I give her?

I was thinking for starters she should do a lot of stretching and like 20 reps on each exercise at a comfortable weight and just gradually move up. Does that sound good?

Thanx for the help
Old 01-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Barke is Done
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: I started working out with a girl...

Do not worry. She can't get big without some sort of steroids. That is a major misconception that keeps women out of the weightroom and keeps them from perfecting their bodies...the fact that they think they will get huge. There is nothing wrong with having her workout w/ you on your split. However fullbody workouts should only take place about 3 times a week spaced out.
I Corinthians 9:27
"...I beat my body and make it my slave..."

Genesis 27:3
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison"
Old 01-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Lumina20 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Like Barke said, she needn't worry about getting huge. Beginners could start off with a full body routine at first and then you could have her work in with you a month or two later. But if you want her to work in with you now, you need to work on getting her a strength base, so higher reps like say 3 sets of 15 should be okay.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:19 PM
FJ0 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Alright thanx for the help
Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Cece should change his/her status!
Rookie

I work out with my husband sometimes and do the exact same exercises, just at a (way) lighter weight than he does and I rep out higher sometimes. I find that the mass building exercises do not put on as much mass as they do on him - probably mostly to do with the fact that I am a girl! (Test vs. Estrogen) Tell her also not be afraid to go heavier than she thinks she can go - that helps to build more muscle and will help with the toning more than you can ever know.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:43 PM
bubba272 should change his/her status!

Find out what her goals are and see if they match yours. If they don't then why are you working out. All of my workout partners have been women (one is a pro. women's bodybuilder) even though they dont lift the same weights they do the same exercises and have same goals. Key is you don't want to sacrafise your goals because you will end up hating yourself later. Remember communications is the most important part of any relationship personal or professional.
Closed Thread