what are liver tablets for? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 AM
wendyp should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default what are liver tablets for?

I have noticed a few of you using these and I believe saying you like what they do for you.

Could you please share how much you use and why you take them?

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the great information I get here.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:24 PM
danielle101 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: what are liver tablets for?

I can't find any information on them either. I too am interested.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
danielle101 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Okay here is what I found on the net on liver tablets.

accelerate recovery from exercise, combat stress, cut sugar cravings, boost energy, and to provide a natural source for iron, copper, Vitamin A and the B-Complex. While liver doesn't appear to accelerate muscle growth it can seriously help you recover faster and experience less fatigue, which in turn allows you to train harder, thus stimulating muscle growth.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:00 PM
mishvs should change his/her status!
Rookie

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: danielle101:</font><hr> to provide a natural source for iron, <hr /></blockquote>

Could an anaemic person take this to help supplement the diet? My sistr is very anaemic and cannot tolerate iron supplements so maybe this would be a bettre option. Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:26 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: mishvs:</font><hr> Could an anaemic person take this to help supplement the diet? My sistr is very anaemic and cannot tolerate iron supplements so maybe this would be a bettre option. Any ideas? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">Yes. I too used to be anemic and it was suggested to me to take liver tablets.

More info:</font color>

The Anti-Fatigue Value of Liver

The test conducted by Dr. B. H. Ershoff in 1951 on the value of liver in combating fatigue is now a classic study in the necessity of liver for the athlete. Dr. Ershoff was testing for an anti-fatigue diet in his laboratory. He used three groups of rats on three different diets which he fed for 12 weeks. The first group ate a laboratory diet to which he added nine synthetic and two natural vitamins. The second group of rats had this same diet plus all the B-Complex Vitamins. The third group ate the original diet with 10% desiccated liver added instead of the B-Vitamins. Each rat was placed in a drum of water from which he could not climb out. He had to keep swimming or drown so it was a genuine test of endurance as the motivation was of the highest order.
The first group swam for an average of 13.3 minutes before they gave up and indicated positively that they had no energy left. The second group swam for an average of 13.4 minutes before drowning. In the third group, the desiccated liver group, three were able to swim for 63, 83, and 87 minutes before retiring while the remainder of the group were still swimming vigorously at the end of two hours. The message is clear enough for the most "Doubting Thomas."
From page 133 of:

"The Strongest Shall Survive . . . Strength Training for Football"
by Bill Starr, B.S., M.S.
(Fifth Printing, Revised First edition, 1999)

<font color="green">I started taking them mainly with speedskating in mind but they also help with my bodybuilding. When I sold them in my supplement store, some guys who had never tried them before claimed that their muscles felt much harder after taking them.</font color>

Ultra 40 Liver Tablets
Desiccated Liver has been a training secret used by thousands of bodybuilders for more than four decades! Why? Because it works ... naturally!
What is Ultra 40?
Ultra 40 liver tablets are one of the most potent training aids for the bodybuilder. The formula is an extract which contains only trace amounts of fat and cholesterol, but forty-five times the nutritional value of whole beef liver, yet with all the nutrients and enzymes of raw liver. Ultra 40 has more going for it than any other food supplement being very high in useable bodybuilding protein (2 grams per tablet) of the highest quality (it contains all the essential amino acids). It's a strong blood builder supplying heme iron. It is a very rich source of B vitamins, especially riboflavin, niacin, B-12, and the lipotropics choline and inositol. It's a good source of vitamins A, C, and D and other micro-nutrients. Ultra 40 is also extremely rich in minerals such as the anti oxidant selenium, phosphorous, copper, zinc, and GTF chromium (insulin regulator). In addition to these known nutrients, there are substances present in liver shown to have a beneficial effect on health, fitness, and endurance such as cytochrome P-450 and others that have yet to be identified.
According to Vince Gironda, the "Iron Guru", desiccated liver contains nucleic acids for proper amino-acid utilization, a growth factor and an anti-estrogen factor, which keeps testosterone levels high, and it is also a great anti-toxin.
The amount of Ultra 40 that you should take depends on your level of training and energy needs. Beginners can start at six tablets per day (two per meal), and intermediates should take no less than six liver tablets per meal over three meals or 3 - 5 tablets per meal over 5 - 6 daily meals. Start with 1 - 2 per meal and every week add an extra tablet until you reach the desired level. Advanced bodybuilders make fantastic progress on 30-40 liver tablets per day over periods of time. These amounts allow you to take in tremendous amounts of protein and nutrients without large amounts of food. You should build up gradually to this amount to avoid upsetting your digestion.
Our success formula
If we have a secret success formula at the Beverly International Nutrition Center that makes so many champions, it's the combination of Ultra 40 tablets and Mass amino acid tablets at each meal. The addition of only four Ultra 40 tablets and four Mass tablets per meal for five meals per day can make a tremendous difference in your contest condition.
This simple-but-effective supplement program will add sixty-five grams of the highest quality protein to your daily intake. The addition of this protein at each meal can have a very positive effect on your hormonal response to eating. Over three months time you will have ingested almost 6000 grams of additional protein, and 24,000 calories of the highest quality nutrients available.
Since it takes approximately 3500 additional calories to gain one pound of bodyweight, dividing 24,000 by 3500 results in a net gain of approximately seven pounds more than if you hadn't taken the Ultra 40 and Mass. No wonder our clients are coming into their contests 5 - 10 pounds heavier!

<font color="green">Hope this helps!</font color> [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2003, 02:59 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Wow! In that Ultra 40 blurb above, that's a lot of tablets! 6 per meal for beginners, moving on up to 30-40 per day for advanced! I'm intrigued by the concept and would love to give it a try, but I don't know how soon I'd tire of taking that many of one thing!

Krypto - is that the brand you take and/or sold at your store? It talks about increasing the quantity gradually so as not to upset your digestion. Did you have any problems when you first started on them? TIA!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 PM
mishvs should change his/her status!
Rookie

Thanks Krypto, great post [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 05:15 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: schless:</font><hr> Krypto - is that the brand you take and/or sold at your store? It talks about increasing the quantity gradually so as not to upset your digestion. Did you have any problems when you first started on them? TIA! <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. But actually I just recently switched to Universal brand Uni-liver, not as good of quality and bigger tablets to swallow but WAY cheaper. Beverly is more expensive for one because they are a very high quality supplement company but unfortunately I just can't afford the high quality stuff right now.

I never had any problems taking them but then I've never had any problems with ANYTHING that I can ever recall. I don't think I have a sensitive digestive system at all so almost nothing bothers me in that respect. I take that back, too much caffeine will give me an upset stomach, or too much sugar now that I'm not used to it. But anything else, never bothered me.

I think I started out with two tablets per meal for six meals. The norm for me is 3 tablets per meal but with these cheaper liver tabs, I'm taking 4 now per meal (5-6 meals a day). It's recommended you take 1 tablet for every 10 lbs of bodyweight at a minimum.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
wendyp should change his/her status!
Stranger

I am very interested in trying this. This place has been invaluable to me- and I'm just a regular woman looking to build muscle and burn bodyfat!

Thank you Krypto for your thoughtful (as usual!) and thorough (also as usual!) response.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Hey guys.

Well this is defenietly an old school supplement. Arnold's day kind of stuff.

Ok, well I've been taking this supplement on and off for about a year now. And I have to say it defenietly does work.

However, I don't think the dosage needs to be as high as they claim. Now I can't back this up scientifically or with any studies, I'm just going from experience.

I can defenietly tell a difference if I don't take it for a few weeks. But I've done the max dose they recommend and I've also cut the dose in half, and I can tell you for me the results are the same.

According to the bottle I need to be taking 24 a day. I'm around 235 right now. Well, I get the same results on half that. Like I said I can't back that up with any studies, but it's saved me money and I didn't notice much of a difference with the lower dosage.

Really I feel that high of a dose is just getting peed out because for your body to absorb that much at once is demanding a lot.

I say space it out for sure though. This will increase the absorbtion of it.

Sometimes I'll take four with my pre-workout meal. Then Four with my post-workout meal(not my post-shake, but solid food that I eat about 45 mins. after my post-shake), if I'm having a rough week. But normally I take 2 with every meal, maybe 3 with breakfast, and I feel I get the same results as taking over 20 a day.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that, cause supps. can get expensive. Also, don't load this stuff. Just start taking it 2 pills at a time. It will get in your system eventually just fine without a loading phase. Really, I feel this "loading phase" is just a money making scheme as well as taking 1 pill for every 10lbs. you weigh, but that's just me!

I hope that helped!
Closed Thread