Leaning Out - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Leaning Out

Oooops!! Trying to get this using quotes thingy....Anyways, this is for Sicily1962..you mentioned that using a 2-3 days n and 1 day off cycle, and cardio 3x wk. I have to say that already I feel more energetic with the cut down of cardio, and can use that extra energy in the weight room. However because of my work schedule, and my inability to become a morning person, my training cycle is usually like this: Sun, Mon, Tues I lift. Wednesday is a rest day, since it is nearly impossible for me to get to gym that day, Thurs I lift again, and Friday I end up with another rest day because of my shift at work that day. Saturday, I usually will lift if energy permits (it is the end of the week for me and it is also my busiest workday...I am a hairstylist and am on my feet for 9hrs a day). My body parts trained are usually split over 3 days...like shoulders, bi's and tri's one day, chest and back the next, and hams, quads, glutes and calves are one big workout as well. Abs get worked almost daily alternating between obliques training....cardio can now be done Sun, Tues and Thursday (relief!!) Training wise, is my training split, in your opinion good enough, or would you ahve other suggestions keeping in mind my work related time constraints?
~~~thx...you 'guys' are the greatest!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:00 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> ...My body parts trained are usually split over 3 days...like shoulders, bi's and tri's one day, chest and back the next, and hams, quads, glutes and calves are one big workout as well. Abs get worked almost daily alternating between obliques training....cardio can now be done Sun, Tues and Thursday (relief!!) Training wise, is my training split, in your opinion good enough, or would you ahve other suggestions keeping in mind my work related time constraints?
~~~thx...you 'guys' are the greatest!!! <hr /></blockquote>

You don't train arms and shoulders before back &amp; chest do you? If you are, you need to change that. Reason is because anytime you work chest, you are greatly relying on your shoulders &amp; triceps and anytime you work back, you are using your biceps quite extensively. So what happens is, that if you are not giving your arms &amp; shoulders ample recovery time (usually at least 48 hrs) then they are going to fatigue WAY before you've been able to sufficiently work your back &amp; chest. You won't be getting as good of a chest &amp; back workout since they are much bigger muscle groups and can therefore handle much more than your arms or shoulders. See what I mean?
Old 12-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Lightweight

Aaah I do see what you mean [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] As a matter of fact I was training shoulders and arms before back. Come to think of it, I have always found it difficult to reach failure with back...sometimes chest as well, because of fatigue in shoulders and arms!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I will try mixing it up by doing leg work in between those 2 work-outs. ie) shoulders, bi's, tri's one day, the next day my leg routine, and so on. If that doesn't work, I suppose I could mix up the body parts and combine back with my arm routine, and chest with my back routine....thanks....sometimes things need to be said out loud to make sense!

I was reading your first training journal over week-end, just to get some more insight as well. Girl, you do work hard! Good for you! That is alot of dedication to apply yourself to 2 different disciplines. I found it inspiring, not to mention that I could relate a little to how you were feeling, as I guess we all have the same ups and downs in our quest for more and less! Cheers!! Keep up the good work girl!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:11 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> Aaah I do see what you mean [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] As a matter of fact I was training shoulders and arms before back. Come to think of it, I have always found it difficult to reach failure with back...sometimes chest as well, because of fatigue in shoulders and arms!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]<hr /></blockquote>

We'll get ya all fixed up, not to worry.

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading your first training journal over week-end, just to get some more insight as well. Girl, you do work hard! Good for you! That is alot of dedication to apply yourself to 2 different disciplines. I found it inspiring, not to mention that I could relate a little to how you were feeling, as I guess we all have the same ups and downs in our quest for more and less! Cheers!! Keep up the good work girl!<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks! Glad it helped you! You can also get some ideas for training splits from it, altho I liked using 4 day splits best and I know you said you can only lift 3 days a week. I know I personally would rather be in the gym more often but in less amounts of time, plus it allows me to train each body part harder since you only have one or two to workout, as opposed to three or more. Works better for me anyway.

I am pretty much maintaining now with my lifting, I've cut down on the number of sets to allow me to train very hard at speed skating. I found out my body could not handle all those weight lifting sets plus speed skating. The weight lifting just took too much out of me. I think it was depleting my glycogen stores and they weren't getting replenished in time for speed skating practice. I think I was right cause since I've cut down the number of weight lifting sets I do, I've had enough energy to train my hardest at speed skating.

So anyway, in case you were wondering (since I don't keep a journal anymore) my training schedule now is (a 3 or 4 day split, depending):

Sunday - speed skating practice 8:30am-12:30pm
Monday - speed skating practice 6-8pm
Tuesday - chest &amp; triceps
Wednesday - speed skating practice 7-10pm
Thursday - back &amp; biceps
Friday - legs (a few sport specific exercises only), calves, shoulders, abs
Saturday - off (or sometimes I'll do shoulders)
Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Bearlysk8ing should change his/her status!
Stranger

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: ***********:</font><hr>

So anyway, in case you were wondering (since I don't keep a journal anymore) my training schedule now is (a 3 or 4 day split, depending):

Sunday - speed skating practice 8:30am-12:30pm
Monday - speed skating practice 6-8pm
Tuesday - chest &amp; triceps
Wednesday - speed skating practice 7-10pm
Thursday - back &amp; biceps
Friday - legs (a few sport specific exercises only), calves, shoulders, abs
Saturday - off (or sometimes I'll do shoulders) <hr /></blockquote>

So your only cardio is the skating? I know ONLY isn't an accurate word, skating is A LOT of cardio! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] But you have long practice times too, so it's GOTTA be enough! Would an hour or two of skate practice 3x/week be enough in your opinion too?
And what "sport specific" leg excersises do you do? (Always looking for more tips ya know... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])
Old 01-08-2003, 06:07 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Bearlysk8ing:</font><hr> So your only cardio is the skating?<hr /></blockquote>

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]
Would an hour or two of skate practice 3x/week be enough in your opinion too?<hr /></blockquote>

Yep.

[ QUOTE ]
And what "sport specific" leg excersises do you do? (Always looking for more tips ya know... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) <hr /></blockquote>

I'm only doing 2 different exercises right now until I get hubby to make a slide board for me then I'm gonna come up with a whole routine. And rather than try and explain the exercises I'm doing right now, how 'bout if I just show you at the meet this Sunday? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Lightweight

Whew!! I have returned! I wound up catching one of the many viruses floating about before the holidays which knocked me out of the gym for 2wks, then things just got way too busy to post anything. However....it has been about 3wks(+/-) since I have adjusted diet and training routines, and have to say that I am starting to see things paying off. I am beginning to see greater definition in muscularity so this is a sign, I'm taking it that B.F is starting to come down.

With decreased frequency of cardio...3-4 x/wk, doing only 30 mins at a time leaves me with greater energy to be lifting heavier in the gym. This too is very cool! Finally I can get back on track...It was such a dissapointment to have gotten ill just as I was getting things sorted out. I found also having been away form it for 2wks that I hadn't lost any strength, in fact I was able to push harder, to my surprise, but great confidence booster!

Lots of catching up to do now....:-)