Leaning Out - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Leaning Out

I'm new here, and I am hoping to get some info/help to cut some more body fat...I am 5'2" and currently weigh in at about 124. My approx b.f% is about 26%, my goal for now is to get down to 19%. I lift about 3x/wk alternating 2wks heavy/2wks light. Since I began lifting a year and a half ago I 've been able to put on about 10lbs, but the fat seems to come off slowly. I do 5 days of cardio/wk, and for anywhere between 30-60mins. I try to keep my diet clean as possible, allowing for one cheat day a week ( a girl's gotta have some fun). I am 35 and wonder if that too isn't part of the problem, slowing metabolism with age, not that I'm ancient or anything. Or is it just gonna be one of those patience is a virtue things, that will happen over time? I do all things natural...the only extra that I take is protien powders and bars....no creatine, no thermogenics either, but am looking into CLA...anyone have any experience with that?
~~~anythng would be of help...thanks! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2002, 06:18 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Leaning Out

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> ...I 've been able to put on about 10lbs, but the fat seems to come off slowly... <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like me!

Most of the time if your body has stopped burning fat, then a tweaking of the diet is necessary. And many times it's cause the calories are too low with an excessive amount of cardio. So let me ask you this, how long have you been using your current diet and training plan and how long has it been since you've had any progress? You may just need a tweak. Then again, without knowing what foods you are eating and how many calories, it's impossible to tell whether or not you are eating foods conducive to burning fat and if you are eating enough calories. Many times what people think is "clean" really isn't.

And... IMO, 5 days a week of an hour cardio is too much. Excessive cardio sends the wrong signals to your brain, telling it to burn muscle and save fat. So with all that cardio it's possible that you are thwarting your efforts to lose fat.

If you haven't already, look thru the nutrition articles on this site, read the ones that pertain, they may help you see if you are doing things correctly and what you may need to change. Sometimes you just need to change your macronutrient ratios around. Ya gotta keep your body guessing. When I cut, I keep a stricter diet, very clean, and cut down on the carbohydrates. And right now I'm maintaining on roughly a 40%P/30%C/30%F diet, eating clean and as many calories as my appetite wants.

You may also want to take a gander thru the Online Journal section, look for women who are cutting, some of them post their diets. Specifically you may want to check out Sicily's and Philia's journals, as these two definitely know what they're doing and won't steer you wrong. Additionally you are welcome to check my online diet journal at
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...er=*********** to see what I'm eating, perhaps it'll help you with your diet. Just keep in mind I'm not cutting so my diet is not going to be quite as strict as someone cutting, altho it'll be pretty darn close. Just ignore the cheats, lol, I'm sure you'll be able to tell what's cheats and what's not, hehe.

I've taken CLA before, it is supposed to be an awesome supplement but I also think it's one of those where you have to take a lot more than the bottle says to see any real benefits. I've tried it, and someone else I know tried it, neither of us can say definitively whether it worked or not.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Lightweight

Hey, thanks!! I've checked out your diet at fitday.com, and signed in as well. I'm still looking for Sicily and Philia's diets. So far, I have been able to uncover that I am a little too high on the carbs, allbeit the low glycemic variety. Today's B.V food values were 31%P, a whopping 52%C and 17%F, and this is usual eating for me...so work to be done there, indeed.
As for cardio, it made sense the minute I read what you said...like "duh...I shoulda known that!" As for my caloric intake...1829 calories today, and usually a little more than that...was a busy day today.
Should I need to increase or decrease my amount of calories?Here is my diet today http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=Libby%2D2 (if you are interested intaking a look)
Thanks again ***********
Old 12-05-2002, 09:28 AM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: ***********:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> ...I 've been able to put on about 10lbs, but the fat seems to come off slowly... <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like me!

Most of the time if your body has stopped burning fat, then a tweaking of the diet is necessary. And many times it's cause the calories are too low with an excessive amount of cardio. So let me ask you this, how long have you been using your current diet and training plan and how long has it been since you've had any progress? You may just need a tweak. Many times what people think is "clean" really isn't.
And... IMO, 5 days a week of an hour cardio is too much. Excessive cardio sends the wrong signals to your brain, telling it to burn muscle and save fat. So with all that cardio it's possible that you are thwarting your efforts to lose fat.
<hr /></blockquote>

I really agree with Krypto on this.
More is not better when it comes to cardio. If you are doing too much, there is no where to go.
I realize it's difficult to even comprehend at times that doing less is better, but it ALL begins with your nutrition.
What you put in your mouth counts for so much!
Truly, if we don't eat right, it won't matter how much weight we lift OR how long we do cardio...you won't see the results of your labor. Your body will just hang on to it.

Tweaking your nutrition is the best possible place to start. At this point, cutting your cardio down to 3 thirty minute sessions a week, your weight training 2 or 3 days on w/ 1day off (45min on intense work ~ you want to know you worked, no chat sessions, just pure concentration on lifitng) and just letting your diet work for you will definately trick your body into high gear and allow you to begin to see results within a very short time.

Good luck, you'll do great!!
Oh ~ one more thing, the sooner you get rid of the processed foods in your nutrition, the better you look and feel.
Margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 12-05-2002, 11:55 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr>... I'm still looking for Sicily and Philia's diets.<hr /></blockquote>

I'm actually not sure that they publish their diets, I just know that they know how to diet properly to save muscle and burn fat. And they both compete so their diets are very strict but they do the job. If you're not competing anytime soon, you don't necessarily have to be that strict. It's more important to make small changes from your current diet so that you won't have trouble sticking to it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
So far, I have been able to uncover that I am a little too high on the carbs, allbeit the low glycemic variety. Today's B.V food values were 31%P, a whopping 52%C and 17%F, and this is usual eating for me...so work to be done there, indeed.<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, try to slowly start increasing your protein intake while decreasing the carbohydrate intake. Biggest thing I'd concern myself with right now is eliminating the starchy carbs at night. That alone should shed some results. For the last meal or two of the day, have only green veggies for carbs. Also, work on increasing your fat intake, 17% is too low especially if you are going to decrease your carbohydrates.

[ QUOTE ]
As for my caloric intake...1829 calories today, and usually a little more than that...was a busy day today.<hr /></blockquote>

That doesn't sound bad for your weight. As long as you're not gaining weight on those calories you should be fine. If you want a ballpark idea of what your calories should be, I can suggest a few things. If you go into the nutrition section of this site and read 13 Weeks To Hardcore Fat Burning - " The Diet " , it has 3 different methods in there which you can use to determine your caloric intake. I used all 3 then averaged them and if I remember correctly, it was pretty close. Also, here is a good website where you can just plug in numbers and it'll give you approx. how many calories you should consume in a day taking into account your activity level of course. I found it to be very accurate for me. I put in "very active" with my numbers and it's pretty close.

I wouldn't worry about your calories for now. Let's just slowly make those small changes to the kinds of foods you're eating and as I said earlier, adjusting your macronutrient ratios. That may be all you need.

I'll take a look at your fitday journal here shortly and comment if needed on another post. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 12:14 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=Libby%2D2 (if you are interested intaking a look)<hr /></blockquote>

Okay, Dec 4th:

I don't know what Alpen is but I do know that 86 grams of carbs in one shot is WAY too much. I really wouldn't go over 40g of carbs in one meal.

Switch to natural peanut butter and don't worry about the fat. Natural peanut butter has no added sugar (sugar=evil=NO FAT BURNING HAPPENIN') and no hydrogenated oils, another evil.

Don't eat bread at night. And make sure it is STONEGROUND 100% whole wheat. Even most wheat breads are processed too much. If the ingredients say "enriched" then it's overprocessed (cause they processed it so much they had to "enrich" it by putting back in all the vitamins &amp; minerals the processing stripped out). Overprocessed means the food will have a tendency to convert rapidly to sugar in your blood. Sugar causes your body to produce large amounts of insulin and when that happens, the body is no longer in fat burning mode for the next several hours. You don't want that happening.

Dec 5th:

Oatmeal with maple flavoring? Uh, is that the instant packets kind? If so, stop eating those, they're loaded with sugar. As long as there is sugar in your diet, you're not going to be burning any fat, at least not optimally. Not to mention sugar has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Anyway, you need to get the slow cooking oatmeal, the type in those big cardboard cans. I add cinnamon, natural peanut butter, and sugar free maple syrup to mine and it tastes good.

Other points:

Be sure you're eating AT LEAST every 3 hours. This will keep your metabolism up. Ya gotta keep putting wood in the fire to keep it burning, ya know?

Try to have equal amounts of protein and fat in each meal, carbs can be varied, but generally tapering off towards evening.

Work on slowly changing your macronutrient ratio. Increase protein and fat (each meal), decrease the carbs.

Hope this helps. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 09:43 AM
Krukker should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Just a random comment...

I think Alpen is muesli or granola right? Stay AWAY from those types of foods! They are the type that seem good for you (oats and fruit) but are loaded with sugars. Instead, make your own!! That way you know exactly what goes into it.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Lightweight

Cool....Thanks ever so much! It's not so easy for me to get advice at the gym where I work out as it is mostly guys who work out there and they really do not take the 'girls' too seriously about our training. So when I ask a question, they just look at me and say "..you don't need to do that...". I guess also it is because there aren't that many of us girls at the gym who truly work hard in the weight room either, or mabybe it is their weakness that they can't accept a female who can train just as hard as they can!!

Yes, Alpen is a granola type cereal..very dense in calories and as you saw, carbs. As for fats, could you suggest some sources of fats...is this to mean nuts, olive oil/flax seed oil, etc.....not bacon right? (LOL!)

I am so glad to have come here, as I was getting stale in my training and lacking direction...already I am psyched to work towards my new goals.....YaY!!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:01 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> Cool....Thanks ever so much! It's not so easy for me to get advice at the gym where I work out as it is mostly guys who work out there and they really do not take the 'girls' too seriously about our training. So when I ask a question, they just look at me and say "..you don't need to do that...". I guess also it is because there aren't that many of us girls at the gym who truly work hard in the weight room either, or mabybe it is their weakness that they can't accept a female who can train just as hard as they can!!<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, you know what I think it is? I think a lot of guys are intimidated by strong women, those who can train just as hard (and in some cases harder!) as they can. Some men get some of their security or feel more manly cause of their gym workouts (makes them feel strong and dominating)and it's like we women are entering "their" territory when we get into working out like them and they don't like that, makes them feel uncomfortable. I really think that is what it is. They don't WANT women to be able to train the same as them and eat the same. I really think that subconsciously they think that if a woman can train as hard as them, that somehow it makes them less of a man. Bullpucky but hey, what can ya do?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Alpen is a granola type cereal..very dense in calories and as you saw, carbs. As for fats, could you suggest some sources of fats...is this to mean nuts, olive oil/flax seed oil, etc.....not bacon right? (LOL!)<hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, flax seed oil, regular mayonnaise, all good sources. Just look for the fat sources which contain high amounts of mono &amp; poly UNsaturated fats.

[ QUOTE ]
I am so glad to have come here, as I was getting stale in my training and lacking direction...already I am psyched to work towards my new goals.....YaY!! <hr /></blockquote>

Kewl. That's great to hear! Glad ya found new motivation. Yeah, sometimes you really need to hang out with others "of your own kind". I feel the same way. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Lightweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: sicily1962:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: ***********:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Libby2:</font><hr> ...I 've been able to put on about 10lbs, but the fat seems to come off slowly... <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like me!

Most of the time if your body has stopped burning fat, then a tweaking of the diet is necessary. And many times it's cause the calories are too low with an excessive amount of cardio. So let me ask you this, how long have you been using your current diet and training plan and how long has it been since you've had any progress? You may just need a tweak. Many times what people think is "clean" really isn't.
<hr /></blockquote>

I really agree with Krypto on this.
More is not better when it comes to cardio. If you are doing too much, there is no where to go.
I realize it's difficult to even comprehend at times that doing less is better, but it ALL begins with your nutrition.
What you put in your mouth counts for so much!
Truly, if we don't eat right, it won't matter how much weight we lift OR how long we do cardio...you won't see the results of your labor. Your body will just hang on to it.

Tweaking your nutrition is the best possible place to start. At this point, cutting your cardio down to 3 thirty minute sessions a week, your weight training 2 or 3 days on w/ 1day off (45min on intense work ~ you want to know you worked, no chat sessions, just pure concentration on lifitng) and just letting your diet work for you will definately trick your body into high gear and allow you to begin to see results within a very short time.

Good luck, you'll do great!!
Oh ~ one more thing, the sooner you get rid of the processed foods in your nutrition, the better you look and feel.
Margie <hr /></blockquote>