newbuilder's first cut - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-15-2002, 03:41 PM
newbuilder should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default newbuilder\'s first cut

Hi everyone. You can tell by my username that I am brand new at this!! But... I have been doing some homework, and am going to take a shot at my first cut.

So here's the first steps I am going to take.

1. Changing my eating habits from three meals per day - ( usually pigging out on one or two of them) to 5-6 smaller meals per day. Shooting for 600 calories per meal.

2. Phasing out the junk food. I am reading up on nutrition and diet, and slowly am piecing together better food options.

3. Journal. Keeping a tally of four key numbers -- calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Every day I journal everything I eat -- right now I am only counting calories - but am about to start counting the others. This is so imortant that I think I should make it number one.

So that's the beginning of my diet plan. A beginners plan, but you have to start out somewhere. I am shooting for a steady 3000 calories a day. Make that 3000 quality calories a day. I will keep this up for one month, and then adjust from there.

"Children...need to hear about their parent's faith. They need to see that faith in action, and they need to know the miracles that result from it."

"Your waist size should never go above a thirty-two"-Mom
Old 09-15-2002, 03:50 PM
fluffy should change his/her status!
National Champion

Default Re: newbuilder\'s first cut

Good luck! One thing... I don't know what your stats are, but 3000 calories/day is quite a bit! I bulk at 1.5-2 pounds/week at around 3200 calories/day.

Just keep track of your weight (and BF% if possible) and be ready to adjust if after two weeks you don't see any decrease!
Old 09-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Light-Heavyweight

my stats are as follows

5'10"
205 lbs.

I want to cut at 190

is 3000 calories too much? What would an ideal calorie count be?

"Children...need to hear about their parent's faith. They need to see that faith in action, and they need to know the miracles that result from it."

Old 09-15-2002, 04:52 PM
National Champion

One rule of thumb says 12-14 times your bodyweight in pounds. So for you it'd be 2460-2870 calories. It's a very individual stat, depending on your muscularity, metabolism, activity level, goals (the slower you lose weight, the more likely you'll be burning fat and not muscle -- most people aim for 1-1.5 pounds/week), etc. But 3000 seems a bit too much for your bodyweight.

Just remember that 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories, so roughly speaking if you're 500 calories below your daily maintainance level, you'll burn 1 pound of fat/week.

Keep track of your weight and adjust as necessary after couple of weeks of steady observation. Don't adjust too soon, because it'll go up and down quite a bit from day-to-day but over couple of weeks you should see the general trend.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:09 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: newbuilder\'s first cut *DELETED*

Post deleted by newbuilder

Old 09-16-2002, 10:37 AM
Light-Heavyweight

OK, here's an edit to the game plan. Turns out my calorie count was too high. gonna move it down to 2500

Week 1 shoot for putting together 6+ small meals a day. Journal and calorie count

Week 2 Target 5 400 calorie and 1 500 calorie meals per day. Journal calorie count, protein count, carb count, and fat count.

Week 3 Target majority of carbs to first 3 meals of the day. Last three meals should be short carbs, but still keeping proteins high. Journal calorie count, protein, carb, and fat count.
Start half hour of endurance exercise per day to increase calories expended. Cycling/running/jogging. I have been told that anything done in a nonmethodical matter can result in muscle loss. I definitely do not want to lose muscle. Gaol is to take it slow at first and really concentrate on form for these activities.

Week 4
So here I am at one hour of weight training per day -- one day off.
1/2 hour of endurance/cardio per day -- one day off
2500 calories per day.
... It took a lot of hard work to get to this point. Gonna cruise this week without any modifications, but keep a close monitor

Week 5

Adjust Protein/Carb/Fat ratio.

50% protein 30% Carb 20% fat?
40% protein 40% carb 20% fat. That sounds like a good ratio.

Again keeping focus on source of carbs. Starchy or Fiberous greens Carbos only!!!! Sugars Will kill the diet!!!
Sources of most protein will be from Chicken white meat, seafood, and supplement if needed.

Week six

monitor body.
Add in 1/2 hour more of cardio endurance.
Give the weight training an extra push. Changing it up a little bit. Monitoring weights and strength gains. Pushing limits where possible.

That's what I have so far.

Old 09-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: newbuilder\'s first cut *DELETED*

Post deleted by newbuilder

Old 09-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Light-Heavyweight

I just got finished doing a calorie/protein/carbo/fat count. So, just for a normal diet carbs should be at about 50%. Bulking maybe a little more. Well I'm cutting, and my carbs where at 65% today!! That's terrible! and I actually felt that today I had a low carb day! I have been eating like this for years!! Well that's it, I just wanted tell someone what I found. It feels good to find that out --now I can make proper adjustments.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:13 AM
National Champion

Good job! You HAVE to keep very tight track of nutrition, especially in the beginning. Later on, once you find your groove, it'll become natural, but literally count calories in the beginning.

For a cut something like 50/30/20 P/C/F is around standard. Make green veggies your top carb choice for all meals other than breakfast (oatmeal is good for breakfast, it'll carry you for much of the day). If you're like me and not much into cooking, then frozen spinach/broccoli/green beans are a godsend! Nuke them for a few minutes and enjoy with fish or chicken.

You're well on your way, just stick with your plan, keep improving your diet, work out, and you'll reach your goals! Oh, and keep checking this site out too -- awesome for both information and motivation!
Old 09-26-2002, 01:15 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Improving my diet. I am putting together a list of all the foods that will be in
my diet

Water

Oatmeal
whole wheat bread
Rice

Potatoes
Corn

Boneless/skinless Chicken Breast
Salmon
Tuna
Other seafood
Tuna Fish (canned)
Lean Beef
Turkey white meat
Egg whites

Broccoli
Green pepper
White Onion
Dark Lettuce
Tomato
Celery
Brussel Sprouts
Cucumber
Carrots
Asparagus
Hot pepper
Swiss Chard
Pickles

Natural Peanut Butter
Peanuts
Nuts

Soy Sauce
Ginger
Mustard
Black Pepper
Tobasco Sauce
Ketchup
Lite Italian dressing
Garlic Powder
Wasabi
Brown Sugar for oatmeal
Butter
Seasame Seeds
Seasame Oil
Pam cooking spray

Centrum Performance Multi-vitamin
Generic brand 500mg Vitamin C Tabs
100% Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein
SportPharma micronized Creatine
Vasopro 25mg Ephidrine Tabs
Coffee ( caffeine )
Aspirin 325mg Tabs
Zoloft - doctor's supervision

That's the beginning. I will add more as I get them.
This is with additions
Additions #15