Trying to get from where I am to where I want to be...need feedback... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 04:39 PM
strivetoachieve should change his/her status!

Default Trying to get from where I am to where I want to be...need feedback...

Hi everyone,
Since 2000, I have reduced my bodyfat from 27% weight 128lbs to 8%bf 98lbs, lean, muscle, no bulk...
I am 28 yr female, 5feet 2inch, 104lbs (was 98lbs one month ago).
Bust:32(lost 3inches, didn't wanted to)
Waist:241/2
Hips:32
Thighs:19
Arms:10
Calves:13

I have been training hard since Jan 2000, haven't missed one workout, I am a personal trainer and teach yoga also, very active 12hrs a day. I ate very clean for 2years, not one cheat day, strong will power, my goals and dreams are and where very important, but 4 months ago, I stayed getting sick, couldn't digest food properly, so I stayed to change my diet....now I am confused??? I have gained fat, (espeically around my abs, which is the first place I do), now since I have changed my diet to see how much food I can eat to gain muscle not fat, I havn'e figure it out, and in the process gained fat, as I am eating not as clean, still healthy but having food like thai food, all natural muffins, another thing is when I eat more than 160g of carbs I feel sick and bloated, but if I eat only 150g for two weeks in a row, I stat feeling sick, light headed after workouts, can't be as active my lifestyle requires.
I need feedback to how much food I need to add muscle, grams, what kind, how much can I cheat and what kind of training should I do now at this stage???? love as much feedback I can get....
Cheers

Old 08-29-2002, 04:57 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Trying to get from where I am to where I want to be...need feedback...

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by strivetoachieve:</font><hr /> ...and in the process gained fat, as I am eating not as clean, still healthy but having food like thai food, all natural muffins...<hr /></blockquote>

I think you answered your own question there, "not eating as clean". Sounds like since you were so strict for so long that your body really did not WANT to be that lean, geesh, maintaining 8% body fat! And then when you started not being as strict, it was basically your body's way of rebelling because it wanted to carry more body fat all along. The same thing happens to people who do the Atkins diet, they severely restrict their carbohydrates so much that eventually when they go back to eating the way they were (instead of GRADUALLY increasing their carbs) their bodies balloon up worse then when they started. It's all the body's mechanisms for survival. I am thinking perhaps you increased your cals too quick and/or started eating TOO many unclean foods and that is why you have gained fat. As far as feeling sick if you eat more than 160g of carbs and feeling lightheaded if you eat 150g of carbs, I would have to say (just a guess) that it is more the types of carbs you're eating rather than the numbers.

I think if you post exactly what you're eating everyday and when (like how many meals and how far apart), along with your training, that we'd be better able to help you with this. I can give it a shot anyway, will help as much as I'm able. [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Haven't seen ya around before, welcome to Abc! I hope you'll stay!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Trying to get from where I am to where I want to be...need feedback...

Thanks for the reply, I always use to read the forum, but today is the first time I am posting.
Right now I am eating 4 meals a day, (not as cleaned as I use to)compared to six meals (since last one year). I feel 4 meals work better for me, according to my lifestyle. Nowadays this is how I am eating:

Breakfast: 40g of slow-cooking oats, with 1/2cup non-fat milk, 1Tbsp wheat germ, few raisins, 1/2 apple, 2tsp flaxmeal, 4 eggwhites, 1 rice cake, 1oz avocado, 1 brazil nut,1/2cup soya milk with tea (need a big breakfast to function)
after 21/2 hrs I hit the gym (4 times a week, nowadays my routine is heavy weight, less reps, Mon-Back/20min intense cardio, Tues-Legs, Wed cardio, Thurs, Chest/shoulders, Fri Tricep-Bicep, cardio, nowdays I am biking everywhere 40mins a day everyday, teach few classes of yoga per week)
(one month ago I use to take a protein shake nowadays I am not doing that)

Lunch: Rice or Noodles stir-fry, chicken &amp; veggies or sushi or sashimi with rice, salad and miso soup.on weekends nowadays I have (my weakness thai food, or all-natural muffin (made with spelt flour low in GI, sunflower oil, apple cider, banana, honey) with soya milk and whip cream (thats my big cheat)

Snack: Soya milk

Dinner: 2rice cakes, with 4 eggwhites, 1 slice soya cheese &amp; mushrooms, 1 tsp peanut butter, greens, 4oz cottage cheese and 1tsp flaxsseed oil.

Snack: Soya milk with cocoa

This is what I am eating, feel a bit guilt as its not that clean and healthy as I was before...I will love your detail feedback...
Cheers
Old 08-29-2002, 07:48 PM

Ah ha! Yep, that is what I suspected. You are eating too many high glycemic carbohydrates. In other words, you are eating too many foods that cause your body to produce too much insulin. The insulin is rushing in and clearing your blood of too much sugar then leaving your blood sugar level too low which would give you the lightheadedness. Also, you may be going too long between meals. I've found that 3 hours is pretty much the limit for me unless I've eaten way too much at once in my previous meal. Your diet is in need of some major changes. I think you will find you'll feel better once we get it fixed.

[ QUOTE ]
Breakfast: 40g of slow-cooking oats, with 1/2cup non-fat milk, 1Tbsp wheat germ, few raisins, 1/2 apple, 2tsp flaxmeal, 4 eggwhites, 1 rice cake, 1oz avocado, 1 brazil nut,1/2cup soya milk with tea (need a big breakfast to function)<hr /></blockquote>

Geesh! Whoa, I'm not even familiar with all the things on your breakfast list but I'm guessing it's too many calories for you all at once. Eating too many calories in one sitting will force your body to store the excess as fat. So eating too much at breakfast is probably your first problem. Let's replace some of those with better types of food that won't spike your insulin. How bout instead, 3/4 cup of slow cooking oatmeal (I'm not sure how much 40g is), two whole eggs, and 3 whites. That would give you roughly 28g protein, 40g carbs, 14.5g fat. See how that does for ya. Then if you eat by NO MORE than 4 hours after that (but better if 3 hours) you should be okay.

[ QUOTE ]
Lunch: Rice or Noodles stir-fry, chicken &amp; veggies or sushi or sashimi with rice, salad and miso soup.on weekends nowadays I have (my weakness thai food, or all-natural muffin (made with spelt flour low in GI, sunflower oil, apple cider, banana, honey) with soya milk and whip cream (thats my big cheat)<hr /></blockquote>

Oh my. Get rid of the rice and noodles. Apple cider, honey, and whip cream definitely a no no unless you want to keep getting lightheaded later. Those are too sugary. Stick with the chicken &amp; veggies and if you want rice, have brown rice in moderation. Have 1/2 tbsp of flax oil if you're eating skinless chicken breast, otherwise you're probably getting enough fat with the chicken. If you have salad, have some salad dressing on it but don't go overboard as the fat content on some of them is very high.

[ QUOTE ]
Snack: Soya milk<hr /></blockquote>

If you're having a snack, that tells me your blood sugar is probably low which is why you'd be hungry for this snack. Add a protein and fat source to this.

[ QUOTE ]
Dinner: 2rice cakes, with 4 eggwhites, 1 slice soya cheese &amp; mushrooms, 1 tsp peanut butter, greens, 4oz cottage cheese and 1tsp flaxsseed oil.<hr /></blockquote>

Ack! Rice cakes are the absolute WORST thing you can eat when you're trying NOT to gain fat. Rice cakes = insulin spike = NO fat burning happen' and gives you a rapid drop in blood sugar resulting in lightheadedness. You got the flax oil part right but you're mixing it with a bad food choice. And there's nothing wrong with eating egg yolks by the way. It would be better for you to have those egg yolks than the peanut butter especially if it's not the NATURAL kind of peanut butter.

[ QUOTE ]
Snack: Soya milk with cocoa<hr /></blockquote>

Cocoa?! Like the powdered mix kind, with sugar?! Ack! Not a good choice and especially not as your last meal. A good last meal can be eggs, chicken and green veggies, tuna &amp; mayonnaise, but definitely nothing with sugar or starches (like corn or bread).

Well, this should get you started anyway. The main problem is as I suspected, bad food choices. You should find that once you start making better food choices that you won't have a problem with feeling bloated or getting light-headed. The kinds of foods you need to choose are slow burning carbohydrates like oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, stoneground whole wheat bread, green vegetables, chicken, eggs, tuna, fish, lean steak, apples, strawberries, any type berries, grapefruit, nuts, natural peanut butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, flax oil, limit dairy products. That's all I can think of for now.

Your training looks okay altho if you are doing yoga classes and biking ON TOP of your regular cardio, you could probably stand to cut back on some of that cardio. Too much cardio sends the wrong signal to the brain, tells it to burn muscle and STORE fat!

Also, if you check out Sicily1962, Philia2, and my journals, you will find good examples of diets and training. You can also check out the nutrition section on this site, there are sample diets in the articles and you can read up on articles on how to eat to gain muscle and/or lose fat. It would probably benefit you to check those out as well as they explain a lot! Hope this gets you started. [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 08:05 PM

I read your diet, nowadays as I mentioned I am eating this, 'cause I feel frustrated trying...and not coming up with a diet which works for me...
to add muscle to my 104lbs, and not fat....the food you mentioned is great and I know it will work but can you tell me the proper balance...breakfast till night time, and the breakdown of calories and gramsI need(to maintain and add muscle) I would like to get started on my journey of achieving my dream body...thanks so much
Old 08-29-2002, 08:19 PM

Calories is something you are going to have to figure out yourself as everyone is different. There are several ways you can go about this:

#1 Keep track of your caloric intake where you are neither gaining or losing any weight, do this for several days and get an average. You can then use that number for a while until you get your diet all cleaned up then we can start slowly adding calories to this so that you can gain muscle.

#2 Refer to the nutrition section here and in one of the fat burning diet articles, it gives you 3 methods to figuring out your caloric needs. Do all 3 methods and get an average, then use that as your starting calories. And once again, we can slowly start adding cals to that so that you can gain muscle.

As far as your macronutrient (protein, carbs, fat) go. We can get more detailed with that once you figure out your calories but for now you can shoot for 156g protein a day, around 150g carbs a day (since that's around where you are now), and 10-15 grams of fat per meal. Once again, to start off with. Once you get going on a good clean diet at a set amount of calories, we will work on slowly increasing those cals. But I want to make sure you are eating good and clean before I give you the go ahead to increase cals, since I know you are very concerned about NOT gaining fat. Sound like a plan?
Old 08-30-2002, 04:50 AM
Philia2 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I think you have been a little bit hard to yourself...... Going the way you have is a huge success but also a very big stress to your body.

Do you supplement with vitamines, minerales etc? (I can tell you that when I get ready for a comp I eat around 20 pills everyday and that's just the vit, iron, calcium etc)

You haven't had a break for so long so maybe you'll just simply need one. Don't feel bad about it 'cause you need it.
I'm sure that fitness, dieting, training etc is (and has been for years) in your mind 24/24 hours and 7/7 days a week, maybe you need to think and do something completely different (no you'll NOT loose your gains by taking one week off).

To keep getting results, respecting the body's need for rest is very important.

STAY STRONG!!! xxx Nina xxxxx
www.nme-pro.com
Old 08-30-2002, 03:45 PM

What you are mentioning I have already done that, you mentioned my breakfask is too big (insuline spike and all that I know, as I am a personal trainer and have a diploma in nutrition myself), my breakfast is only 480 calories, all the carbs are low in GI, Carb 60g, Protein 28, and all unsaturated fat 12g at breakfast, the noodles I mentioned are made of brown rice (I live in toronto and we have tons of health stores which have all these healthy low GI carbs), you mentioned potatoe/sweet potatoe actually I have tried that for 4 months first of all potatoe is 70 on GI compared to brown rice noodles GI 48, my problem is that when I eat every three hours my digestion doesn't function probably and all the bodybuilding food I was eating before it was making my body have the irritable bowel symtom, making me really so sick, but I still kept at it, which made my condition worse, that's when I changed to the way I am eating now, I feel fine but don't look that great, I don't lack discipline, or self-control, I can
switch to any food if it benefits me, but when I go back to eating six meals potatoe, dry tuna, and stuff my stomach doesn't agree with it making me bloated and gasy (even just eating protein foes that), before so thats my reason of eating the way I am, its frustrates me, as I was the first person to say to someone clean your diet, now what I want to do is find a way that my health doesn't suffer, eat normal, and train in a way that I can achieve the some results even if I am eating the way I am, (as most of the carbs I am eating now are low in GI even the rice cakes as they are made of brown rice and buckwheat no insuline spikes there), thanks for your feedback, but I guess that doesn't solve my problem as I need a solution....not follow what everyone is doing as everyone's body is different, I want to discover a in which I can have 3 meals, and train in a way that I can still achieve my goals.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:53 PM

Thanks for being concerned, I am hard on myself thats the sort of person I am, I keep on pushing the limits till I get to my destination, but now in my way all these health problems have come, I do take a good multivitamin, vitamin C, antioxidant, and glutamine, I do vary my training, heavy/light and I guess the light weeks are my rest, but I know what you mean, I am due for a vacation, maybe in couple of months, thanks again for your compassion
Old 08-30-2002, 08:48 PM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by strivetoachieve:</font><hr /> Thanks for being concerned, I am hard on myself thats the sort of person I am, I keep on pushing the limits till I get to my destination, but now in my way all these health problems have come, I do take a good multivitamin, vitamin C, antioxidant, and glutamine, I do vary my training, heavy/light and I guess the light weeks are my rest, but I know what you mean, I am due for a vacation, maybe in couple of months, thanks again for your compassion <hr /></blockquote>

Hello,
I've read everything here and i have a question:
Why do you maintain such a low bodyfat percentage? For one, it is definately too hard on a womans body and two it's not healthy.
From what i see, being so strict on your nutrition for 2yrs w/o a day off actually cheated your system from being able to function properly and help it to boost your metabolism.

If you want to get that into check, i would suggest you cycle your carb intake. I'm wondering, do you eat exactly the same foods day in and day out?
GI index aside, i think your best bet is to even go as far as to cycle your carb choices. Keep it simple though, each meal only one starchy and one fiberous carb w/ your protein source. Cycling the type and the amount while intaking about 25-35gr of high quality protein with each meal will jump start your system. Keep it guessing so to speak.

For instance, breakfast could be 6egg whites w/ 2yolks scrambled w/ omelet veggies, 1/2 cooked oats w/ 2T flaxmeal or 2pats of butter (to slow the insuline release) . That would be sufficient while keeping it clean and easy on your system. No overload from too many food groups.

What you may need to do is start back at square one.
New diet, new daily calories, the whole nine yards. You've trained your system to act one way and now it wants to fight back. The gain in BF% could be it's way of saying "hey, this doesn't work for me" hence, causing you to feel bad and have reactions to your food.

Another thing you may want to consider is you may have acquired a food alergy from eating the same foods.
GI index in foods is important and keeping them cycled is equally important. all of these foods have their own nutritional values that your body needs. Don't be afraid to try new foods.

Especially if you work out on a regular basis, the body can only do so much w/ what you give it. Remember, nutrition is 80% of what you do, without the proper food choices your workouts will not give you the desired results.

I'd like to talk to you more. Feel free to email me,
mjcasey1962@yahoo.com
I could write a book, but i'd like to talk to you further to see if i can help.
Margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Closed Thread