Do heavy squats give you woder hips? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Big_Red should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Do heavy squats give you woder hips?

I read in this months issue of Muscle and Fitness HERS that if you already have size in your hip and thigh area that squating heavy will widen the hips. Is there any truth to this? If so, what should I do? I am naturally hippy and don't want any size on that particular area. GIve me your take in this somebody!

Vivienne :
[img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2002, 11:18 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Default Re: Do heavy squats give you woder hips?

Well, it depends on how heavy. Squats are such a great leg exercise, and release hormones which keep you lean and hard.
Maybe if you are really advanced, but I wouldnt worry about it unless you really notice it doing so. And even then, an adjustment in your stance would take care of the problem.

What shape are you looking for in your lower body? What areas do you want work in?

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-12-2002, 04:39 AM
Philia2 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I would never have these great legs if I didn't start squatting years ago...... I did take heavy in the beginning, but now I just do many reps with light weight.

You cannot really change the size of your hips (your bones) Now instead you can tone up your buttocks and get a slender waist (and you'll be as good looking as Jennifer Lopez!! [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

To get long nice looking legs, do a lot of lunges as well.

Good luck!

STAY STRONG!!! xxx Nina xxxxx
www.nme-pro.com
Old 08-17-2002, 11:24 AM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

No...
If anyone would know, i would.

My old trainer told me i was built for "breeding" ! lol!

A nice guy, don't you think??? [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It was a wise crack on us Italians..but hey, i understood what he was saying becuase when i began training seriously 6+ years ago, i had a good set of hips! [img]/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

None the less, i DO go heavy on Squats. It has made a huge difference in the way my glutes and legs look. As my bodyfat dropped over the years, my hips became naturally smaller.

I do one heavy leg and one moderate leg w/o a week, and the results over the years have been very good.

You cannot change your genetics...but you can improve on what you have.
Don't believe everything you hear. Time is a true indicator of how something works...especially in weight training.

I firmly believe that without the Squat, i would not have the definition that i do right now. don't cheat yourself on the rep...go down parallel and back up pushing through the heels. Squeeze the glutes on the way up and really feel the movement.

Do them....you'll be glad you did.

Margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 08-18-2002, 12:52 AM
Stranger

THanks for the input! It didn'make sense to me that squats would give you wider hips, but I didn't know. I do not squat as heavy as some of the gals an this board. I am working on it though!

Vivienne
Old 08-18-2002, 06:54 AM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Big_Red:</font><hr /> THanks for the input! It didn'make sense to me that squats would give you wider hips, but I didn't know. I do not squat as heavy as some of the gals an this board. I am working on it though!

Vivienne <hr /></blockquote>

Good luck to you and remember ~ form is everything! The weight increases will come when you get the form right.

You may want to try putting a bench behind you so when you squat your butt just brushes (not sits) the bench and then you power back up thru your heels making sure you hold in your abs thru the entire movement.

One ~ this will teach you the correct form (parallel) for the squat, also this gives you the confidence to train alone if you need to.

If you were to lose your balance, you'd just sit...
But don't become dependent on sitting, the objective is to become accustom to the depth and correct form .

Two ~ as you become stronger, you can remove the bench and just go at it...with perfect form!

Gains will come along with a great set of glutes and legs!

Good luck! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Margie

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Old 08-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Stranger

Margie,
That is cool that you suggested the bench because the weight bench I have now is set up that way. It has a built in rack with the bench. In other words the bench is not removeable. So I thought that just touching my rear to the bench would be a good reminder of how low I should go. I have some "snap, crackle pop" going on in my knees, sholudl I be concerned about how low I go? I have always wondered how low is low enough and how heavy to go. I geuss when it gets easy just up the weight. I am still trying to break 60 pounds. Which probably seems light to you, but I do train by myself and get a little worried about going too heavy. I am still learning but I am sooo addicted to this!! It is great!

Vivienne
Old 08-19-2002, 10:03 PM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Big_Red:</font><hr /> Margie,
That is cool that you suggested the bench because the weight bench I have now is set up that way. It has a built in rack with the bench. In other words the bench is not removeable. So I thought that just touching my rear to the bench would be a good reminder of how low I should go. I have some "snap, crackle pop" going on in my knees, sholudl I be concerned about how low I go? I have always wondered how low is low enough and how heavy to go. I geuss when it gets easy just up the weight. I am still trying to break 60 pounds. Which probably seems light to you, but I do train by myself and get a little worried about going too heavy. I am still learning but I am sooo addicted to this!! It is great!

Vivienne <hr /></blockquote>

thank you...
as far as the noise in your knees, what i've learned is, as long as you don't experience any pain with it, you should be fine.

On occassion i experience some cracking in my right knee, but i have to say, that the stronger my legs become, the more muscle i build, the less i hear it these days.

The squat is about your form. the weight will come, but first you have to become comfortable with the movement.
Be sure to concentrate on powering up through your heels and squeezing your glutes. Also, don't lock out at the top, that adds additional and unnessary pressure on your joints ~ and be sure to keep your head and eyes up slightly..concentrate on something on the wall perhaps and stick there.
I think 60lbs is great! There no where left to go but up!! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As you get stronger, you can challenge yourself by adding an extra 10+ lbs and just doing 1-6 reps for strength...believe me, you will get stronger. Your muscles have memory, so you have to challenge them to get stronger or they just get used to the same ol' thing.

Good luck and be sure to get ample rest in between your leg training. Don't overtrain.

Margie

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Closed Thread