Lower carbs harder than I thought... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 09:58 PM
brandy3369 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Lower carbs harder than I thought...

I'm new to this and started my diet and workouts two months ago before I found this site. I started out with low fat & cals the first month at 1200 - 40/40/20 and felt fine. Then switched to lower carb the second month with the same 1200 calories at 50/25/25 when I added lifting to the military calisthenics and cardio I was doing 3-5 times a week. I lost 1 - 1 1/2 pounds a week, every week, both months.

Now I have found this site and talked with Krypto and others about increasing my 1200 average calories to about 1500 given that I'm 5'3" and 156lbs to burn the fat covering my calculated 113 lbm. I began just yesterday and by tonight I am already having "challenges".

I ate 1500 yesterday at 50/18/32 and though it was 300 calories more a day than my monthly 1200 average, I was unusually hungry last night. I remember Krypto writing in her journal about feeling a lot hungrier when her diet was altered to lower carbs once and thought I just have to tough it out. I woke up and continued today in the same fashion. I reliously ate 6 meals every 3 hours because after 2.5 hours I'm hungry. But tonight, for the first time in two months, I thought of eating something really bad. I haven't had thoughts of anything unclean until now, and where I usually eat nothing but lean protein an veggies for dinner, I ate some cottage cheese with my chicken to weigh down my stomach. It only took half a cup and it worked, but still...I don't usually need that and eating cottage cheese was better than some of the other things I was suddenly wanting to grab. This hunger is new to me.

I'm eating more calories by increasing my fat, but man - I didn't realize how big a difference in my appetite a mere 10% decrease in my already low carb diet would be. I know I need to do more research and it has to do with my insulin levels, but it seems weird to take in more calories yet feel hungrier than ever. I have been off Hydroxycut for the last two weeks, I had used it for just over a month and thought it was time to cycle off to keep it effective. Maybe after these two weeks without an ECA my body is ready for it again??

1500 calories:
Proteins = skinless chicken breasts, eggs, whites and whey.
Carbs = Oatmeal (am only), and veggies rest of day
Fats = Olive oil, PB, and walnuts
*No potatoes, rice, breads, beans or dairy (until I gave into cottage cheese tonight! Cheating by day 2 - pathetic!)
Old 08-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Krukker should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Lower carbs harder than I thought...

For being 156 lbs - 1500 cals a day is still very low!!

I'm 150 and am eating an average of 1700 cals/day!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:02 PM
brandy3369 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Hi Kate, yeah - I haven't worked out in 3 days because I have family visiting this week and am spending my hours entertaining them and chasing after kids. I've only done calisthenics in my room while they were watching tv, and I have to say I'm a little anxious to be alone again and get back into the gym every day like I was doing and not worry about making meals I can't eat for others while explaining repeatedly why I am eating differently. Anyway!

On workout days I will eat as much as 1900 in accordance with JW's formula's listed in the 13 Week Plan, but on sedentary days I'm only permitted 1500 and that is an increase over the 1200 I was eating for two months before I found this site.

I saw in another thread that you're planning to take the 13 week plan beginning in September? I would like to be added to your list of accountable friends on this as I too would like to see if I can meet the challenge. I'll look great for my Christmas Party in early December if we pull it off.

Brandy
Old 08-10-2002, 12:55 PM
AHM should change his/her status!

Brandy, as a former low carber, it takes your body a bit to get used to the change - you might be a little tired too. Anyway, it sounds to me like you are having some carb cravings, which are pretty normal. Just get through them w/out eating carbs and they will go away. And if you are hungry at 2.5, then eat. If it means you have 7 slightly smaller meals, so be it.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2002, 07:39 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Word!

I am definitely with you on that one! I think I went off about that in my journal. On many occasions I found myself eating WAY more calories than usual because of keeping my carbs low, or at least what was low for me. I went friggin nuts too, was so hungry all the time and the carb cravings were awful. All I can say is same thing Heather said, it does get easier and another tip might be to make sure you take your carb intake down nice and slow, that'll should help as well. Also, you may need to increase the fat and fiber in your diet, that's supposed to help too. Good luck, it's definitely not an easy road and don't be afraid to experiment to find what works best for you, and preferably something you can stick to. [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Closed Thread