Do women set themselves up to fail? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Mrs_Centricity should change his/her status!

Default Do women set themselves up to fail?

For those of you who don't know me I work in a Pharmacy and I am constantly around people with many different types of illnesses from common colds to cancer.
But the most common thing I see is women with absolutely no concept of what it means to be healthy. There seems to be this obsession with scale weight with no regard to actual physical condition.
As I stood here today I watched the women who came into the store. I saw what they bought and this is what I saw.
There is the anorexic girl that works at the hairdressers next door buying her daily pack of laxatives. There was the 300lb woman that comes in once a month to get refills on her asthma medication and the painkillers for her back, who bought some apple cider vinegar tablets because "her friend lost weight using them". There was also the girl who works upstairs that is probably about 15lb overweight who convinced her doctor to write her a prescription for Meridia. (a anti-obesity drug) Then there was the mother with her 14 year old daughter who is very lean asking me if the "slimming patches" would work for her.

The thing they all have in common is this desire to be thin. Not healthy, but thin...

My husband recently posted a poll on the other forum asking the guys (mainly) if they would rather spend the night with Ms. Olympia or a Hooters girl. The overwhelming response was the Hooters girl. Although I was not surprised I was a bit disappointed. Especially on a website like ABC. Although the Hooters girl was quite attractive, most women when asked the same question would answer the same. This only reinforced to me that women are setting themselves up to fail.
Do the goals we are expected to reach promote an unhealthy lifestyle like anorexia or bulimia? Do we limit our potential by not wanting to be too muscular? How many of us have participated in or overheard the conversation about women police officers or firefighters that states "a woman should only get the job if capable of doing the job" (i.e. lifting a 260lb man from a burning building). However we then tell women that to have the physique to perform such a task would be "unfeminine" or "ugly".

So you have a choice. Be muscular, or be desired. There is no in between.

For me, I choose to be muscular. Maybe someday I will be the one on the cover of FLEX or IRONMAN with some "himbo" hanging of my ripped muscular body.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:12 PM
CoLDTuRKeY should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Do women set themselves up to fail?

I dont think we were knocking down women who were in shape but if you put yourself in our place who would you pick? Im sure those Hooters chicks are all shallow little *****s but that doesnt mean I wouldnt spend the night with them over Ms. Olympia. Personal opinion I guess on what you like.
You want to muscular and thats your choice and its a good one. Everyone here will be behind you 100%. Welcome to the boards.
Height - 6'2"
Bench - 440 lbs
Squat - 505 lbs.
Dead Lift - 545 lbs.
Power Clean - 315 lbs.

My Training Journal

Proverbs 3: 25-26...
Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked,when it cometh. For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Js_Lilady should change his/her status!

I think that girls don't necessarily set themselves up to fail, not conciously. I know sometimes women get the wrong idea of what would be "sexy" or "expected" of them but actually, I blame media. Personally, I think that the poll your husband asked was missing the girl who wasn't in perfect muscular shape or big boobed and tiny at the waist. I think a girl who is comfortable with her self is sexier than the girl who thinks she's not good enough.

I think media has put a huge expectation on what women should look like and that's just unrealistic to a huge amount of girls without taking it too far with anorexia and belimia. The problem with those disease is that the person (girl or boy) doesn't even realize they have the problem. I know there are people on this website that have had that problem before, and can tell anyone (if willing) to say that it was probably the most difficult things to recognize and admit and then fix in their life.

I guess my point is that there is a middle ground. Guys have many opinions on what is sexy. I would bet that the hooters girl was chosen for a night because she bounces more than a muscular, Ms. O. I think it's not fair to say that you have a choice between being a hooters girl or ms.O because there are girls that are confident and happy and not big boobed or insanely muscular!
Old 08-10-2002, 05:25 AM
Philia2 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Great post Linda!!

People in my area already think that I got too many muscles.... (if you have seen my pics, you'll know that I'm all skinny) BUT they really like my little pretty behind....... Okey, they like my a$$ but not my arms AND of course they will never want to understand or work hard themselves to get those pretty legs.

I had this young girl yesterday looking in one of the fitness magazines lying on the desk. Her comments were "oh, she's way too muscular" or "nice legs, but without those shoulders, one would think it is a man!!!"

The beauty industry in France is freaky huge, the French women spend a fortune on creams, beauty salons, hair dresses, plastic surgery etc etc Not many of them do any kind of sport, it's too hard (and too expensive!!!)

I'm tired of those women coming to my gym, wanting a great body but don't want to work for it. They keep on complaining, but they are just so weak and non disciplined so it drives me nuts.
Okey, it's THEIR lives and THEIR problems, but still.......

I really don't know why most women are like that. It's a mystery or maybe it's just how they (we?) are?!
Never content, always complaining and putting themselves in a small box without any doors out. Dunno. The media's fault you say? No, I don't think so. The men? No, not the men, it's the women being the most cynical and hard to other women and themselves.

Ah well, what is there to say more?

STAY STRONG!!! xxx Nina xxxxx
www.nme-pro.com
Old 08-14-2002, 09:29 PM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Philia2:</font><hr /> Great post Linda!!

People in my area already think that I got too many muscles.... (if you have seen my pics, you'll know that I'm all skinny) BUT they really like my little pretty behind....... Okey, they like my a$$ but not my arms AND of course they will never want to understand or work hard themselves to get those pretty legs.

I had this young girl yesterday looking in one of the fitness magazines lying on the desk. Her comments were "oh, she's way too muscular" or "nice legs, but without those shoulders, one would think it is a man!!!"

The beauty industry in France is freaky huge, the French women spend a fortune on creams, beauty salons, hair dresses, plastic surgery etc etc Not many of them do any kind of sport, it's too hard (and too expensive!!!)

I'm tired of those women coming to my gym, wanting a great body but don't want to work for it. They keep on complaining, but they are just so weak and non disciplined so it drives me nuts.
Okey, it's THEIR lives and THEIR problems, but still.......

I really don't know why most women are like that. It's a mystery or maybe it's just how they (we?) are?!
Never content, always complaining and putting themselves in a small box without any doors out. Dunno. The media's fault you say? No, I don't think so. The men? No, not the men, it's the women being the most cynical and hard to other women and themselves.

Ah well, what is there to say more? <hr /></blockquote>

Well Linda and Philia,
I definately know exactly what you are saying and i happen to agree.
I myself, prefer muscle or flab. I am a 40yr old woman who loves bodybuilding and it has brought so much to my life.

I know for myself that whomever i date is a man that appreciates what i do. I found out long ago that being w/ someone who resents you or is threatend by what you do is a losing situation.

I work with a whole load of women that are constantly looking for that "quick fix" for self improvement and ask me daily ~
"Are you eating again???" "How do you eat all that food and not gain any weight???"
Now...i'm no rocket scientist...but one would think that if they saw a woman or man eating frequently, working out regularly and losing inches while building a beautiful physic at the same time, wouldn't they want to try it also instead of downing a slim fast and some prezels???

Seems like a much better solution to me, but hey ~ why not load up on those simple sugars and worry about crashing and burning later...while developing that "mysterious headache" [img]/forum/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Oh my...I'm off on another tangent!! Sorry ! [img]/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Ok..i'm done venting...bottom line, we like our muscles...
do i look good?
Oh yea! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 08-15-2002, 03:02 PM
Dizzy should change his/her status!

I'm not gonna knock slimfast =P Friend of mine used it because he was honestly to big to go out running...when he got down enough to get off his *** eat properly and do the cardio he stopped using it, he says without it he would have never gotten to the point where he could do something about his weight.

I like firm women personally...I like muscle to =P. [*%#*%*#], I wouldnt mind a few pounds now that I think about it! I just dont like the EXTREMES.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:33 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by sicily1962:</font><hr /> ...I found out long ago that being w/ someone who resents you or is threatend by what you do is a losing situation....<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like my ex-husband! Or at least that's one big reason he's an ex!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my...I'm off on another tangent!! Sorry ! [img]/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

do i look good?
Oh yea! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

You are TOO funny!
Old 08-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by ***********:</font><hr /> <blockquote><font class="small">posted by sicily1962:</font><hr /> ...I found out long ago that being w/ someone who resents you or is threatend by what you do is a losing situation....<hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like my ex-husband! Or at least that's one big reason he's an ex!

[ QUOTE ]

do i look good?
Oh yea! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

You are TOO funny! <hr /></blockquote>

honey ~ how'd you know i was talking about my ex?? lol!! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Old 08-15-2002, 09:29 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
. I found out long ago that being w/ someone who resents you or is threatend by what you do is a losing situation. <hr /></blockquote>

That is by far one of the best quotes I have heard in a long time!

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-15-2002, 11:27 PM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by JWilson:</font><hr /> [ QUOTE ]
. I found out long ago that being w/ someone who resents you or is threatend by what you do is a losing situation. <hr /></blockquote>

That is by far one of the best quotes I have heard in a long time! <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you JW...unfortunately, i learned the hard way...giving up many things.

Ok...water under the bridge!
Nothing changes, if nothing changes! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've come a long way [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (baby!!)

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Closed Thread