Gimme your perspective - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 09:10 PM
luvmypt should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Gimme your perspective

Now that it's just us gals- I think we all have pretty much the same goals, lots of strength, low body fat, well-defined upper body and sleek,defined lower body.

In general, do you do anything significantly different in weight training from the guys? Do you do this bulk/cut/maintain style of nutrition? What about your cardio? Is there anything you've read that the guys do that just doesn't seem to work well for us?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 09:37 PM
Js_Lilady should change his/her status!

Default Re: Gimme your perspective

Well, I know Joe puts up TONS of weight and I know I could never put up like, well over 900 lbs on a leg press. I think when it comes to nutrition girls have different needs in their diet. And I'm not talking chocolate around that time of the month, but I mean more calcium and things like that. I'm no expert, but I know i need more vitamins in my diet. But that's just me, everyone has different needs!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:04 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by luvmypt:</font><hr /> ... In general, do you do anything significantly different in weight training from the guys? Do you do this bulk/cut/maintain style of nutrition? What about your cardio? Is there anything you've read that the guys do that just doesn't seem to work well for us?

Thanks
<hr /></blockquote>

Nope. I've always trained right alongside my hubby. I lift enough weight for my muscles to fail in the 8-12 rep range which is significantly less weight than hubby of course. Personally I have tried bulking but only for a month and I couldn't seem to get past 142 lbs but truthfully I probably didn't do it the way I should have anyway, it was more of a fun thing to try. I will be doing something similar to the guys though. I plan on cutting until the weather starts turning cold then I'm gonna bump my calories back up to maintenance to slightly above maintenance and concentrate more on getting stronger rather than losing fat. As far as my cardio goes, no different than a male mesomorph (body type) for me. I think cardio is more individual than it is gender oriented. And as far as the last question, I still say it is purely an INDIVIDUAL thing rather than there being differences in gender. It's still a "find what works for you" sport for both genders. My 2 cents. [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2002, 10:05 PM
liftheavy should change his/her status!
Lightweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by ***********:</font><hr /> <blockquote><font class="small">posted by luvmypt:</font><hr /> ... In general, do you do anything significantly different in weight training from the guys? Do you do this bulk/cut/maintain style of nutrition? What about your cardio? Is there anything you've read that the guys do that just doesn't seem to work well for us?

Thanks
<hr /></blockquote>

Nope. I've always trained right alongside my hubby. I lift enough weight for my muscles to fail in the 8-12 rep range which is significantly less weight than hubby of course. Personally I have tried bulking but only for a month and I couldn't seem to get past 142 lbs but truthfully I probably didn't do it the way I should have anyway, it was more of a fun thing to try. I will be doing something similar to the guys though. I plan on cutting until the weather starts turning cold then I'm gonna bump my calories back up to maintenance to slightly above maintenance and concentrate more on getting stronger rather than losing fat. As far as my cardio goes, no different than a male mesomorph (body type) for me. I think cardio is more individual than it is gender oriented. And as far as the last question, I still say it is purely an INDIVIDUAL thing rather than there being differences in gender. It's still a "find what works for you" sport for both genders. My 2 cents. [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Listen to ***********, shes off the charts [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 04:31 AM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I definately agree w/ Krypto.

I have never trained differently from any other man in the gym.
I work out w/ a Bantam weight and surprisingly enough, our strength levels are quite similar.
I have even found that there are area in which the tables are turned in that area and also, my endurace seems greater at times.

If you want to succeed than it is imperative that you are constantly aware of what your body responds to and know if you are making gains.
I have religiously kept a training journal for more than 5yrs now. I do go back and review to see where i have been and where i am going.
It's a real eye opener when you've set your sights on reaching a new goal! [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As far as diet and supplementation ~ I not only take a daily vitamin pack, but each meal get a dose of liver aminos and mass aminos, L-carnatine &amp; glutamine to boot. I also supplement w/ a Creatine, HMB, Argenine + supplement as well in the a.m. and p.m.

At this point in my daily training, losing muscle is not a consideration.

There is no difference in training styles among men and women.
Cutting/bulking ~ the techniques are the same. Each individual is different and that's where knowing your body and keeping track is important.
Learning to cycle...keeping your body guessing, that's how you get to where you need to be.

I train in a 3 week cycle: Heavy 3-6, Moderate 8-12, Light 12-15. I alternate each body part each week.
So if i go heavy on chest one week, the next day when i do back, it's moderate and so on. I never go heavy on every body part in the same week.
I also never do the same workout week after week.
Change is good! Try new things each week and watch your response! It's exciting!
My results have been very good!
Legs i work 2x's per week. One Heavy-moderate, one moderate to light (and i don't really mean light, i just mean changing up my reps scheme)
Training this way makes a nice change, but also ensures that you are never doing the same thing over and over.

I could go on and on...i hope this helps!
Just make sure that when you committ ~ it's 100% .
That's what makes the real difference!
Margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 08-02-2002, 01:27 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by liftheavy:</font><hr />
Listen to ***********, shes off the charts [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Aw, thaaaanks. That was nice.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:34 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by sicily1962:</font><hr /> ...I train in a 3 week cycle: Heavy 3-6, Moderate 8-12, Light 12-15. I alternate each body part each week.
So if i go heavy on chest one week, the next day when i do back, it's moderate and so on. I never go heavy on every body part in the same week.
... <hr /></blockquote>

Great advice Margie! I like it!

I'm thinking I should try that alternating training. I train each bodypart once a week but I train them all pretty intense in the 8-12 rep range, utilizing shocking methods and whatever else I think up but I've never really done the alternating light and heavy thing. No wonder I'm getting so spent! It wasn't a problem when my calories weren't cut but now that my calories have been cut to 2000, I have definitely noticed the difference in my stamina and recovery time! That's one reason come winter time I'm going to bump my calories back up to maintenance and focus on gaining strength instead of losing fat, cutting sure gets old! I miss feeling strong and energetic, taking on the weights with an intensity! This cutting of calories sucks! Anyway, this is why this women's forum will be so good, we can give each other great ideas! [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2002, 06:54 AM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by ***********:</font><hr /> <blockquote><font class="small">posted by sicily1962:</font><hr /> ...I train in a 3 week cycle: Heavy 3-6, Moderate 8-12, Light 12-15. I alternate each body part each week.
... <hr /></blockquote>

Great advice Margie! I like it!

I'm thinking I should try that alternating training. I train each bodypart once a week but I train them all pretty intense in the 8-12 rep range, utilizing shocking methods and whatever else I think up but I've never really done the alternating light and heavy thing. No wonder I'm getting so spent! It wasn't a problem when my calories weren't cut but now that my calories have been cut to 2000, I have definitely noticed the difference in my stamina and recovery time! That's one reason come winter time I'm going to bump my calories back up to maintenance and focus on gaining strength instead of losing fat, cutting sure gets old! I miss feeling strong and energetic, taking on the weights with an intensity! This cutting of calories sucks! Anyway, this is why this women's forum will be so good, we can give each other great ideas! [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

Krypto,
I was wondering, when you mentioned that your calories got cut, did your trainer also increase your fat intake?
That could make a huge difference.
Right now, i'm taking in about 80gr of fat a day in conjunction w/ my daily food intake.
i'm cycling as you know and my protein intake w/ amino's etc...is at 270gr a day.
the extra fat seems to get me through on the low carb portion of my nutrition.

Thank you for the compliments on the training.
I can say w/o a doubt that training this way has enabled me to maintain my consistency and also increase my strength a great deal.

My bench before beginning my contest diet was 185 for 4 only three weeks ago...
I'm going heavy again on Monday ~ i'll keep you posted!
Seated rows and pull downs @ 150+...I have not noticed any losses.
I think your recovery time will be much better as well.

Let me know what you think about training that way.
I think you'll really like it. [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Margie

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Old 08-03-2002, 06:58 PM

I had been writing my own diets before I asked for Beverly's help. I had been eating probably between 2200-2400 calories a day, 6-8 meals a day, around 15 grams of fat per meal. It just wasn't working anymore, I wasn't having anymore fat loss so I asked someone at Beverly to write me a diet, told him what I had been doing, what my previous diet was and also that I speed skate. That is the diet he gave me, the one posted in my journal at 2000 calories, supposedly, cause when I tried adding it all up I only came up with around 1700. Does seem kinda weird that I was okay on 2200 cals (depending) but yet always really hungry on 2000 calories when it's only 200 calories different. As far as I can tell, my fat per meal varies from 5-22 grams. The 5 grams is with the 5 oz chicken and 5 strawberries. As far as I know, from when I researched it before, 5 oz. of boneless, skinless chicken is 5 grams of fat. Anyway, since I've been back from Nationals I haven't followed that plan to the "t". Perhaps I should ask him for a new one? I followed that one for 3 weeks before I went to Nationals and I was basically gonna follow it for 3 more weeks before asking for a new tweek. What do you think? My beverly diet is posted in my journal, I believe you've seen it before.

And yeah, I'll let you know on the training thing. I guess I will implement it beginning this week. I'll let ya know if I have any questions. [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2002, 07:11 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Hey girl, I got back from Beverly today and had a 4%drop in 3wks to 15% BF.

My diet has been changed again...this makes the second time in 8wks.:
My trainer added carbs @ every meal , every other day. Fun!! i like oatmeal! lol!
Also told me to cut my cardio down to only 4 days and start running steps three times a week
Told me he didn't want me dropping more than 2% until i see him again on Aug 31st.
Is that awsome or what? I should dial in perfectly.
Then Roger ( the owner) came over and said he didn't think i should dial in below 10%..he said i was looking great!

Wow...a great morning for sure.
so..I think this new diet will be me good. a nice change of pace and i'll actually begin my cutting phase when i go back on the 31st of august.

I think it would be very beneficial for you to try and get a new diet.
Why don't you email my trainer:
jeremiahf@beverlyinternational.net

I think when you tell him your goals and what you've already done, he'll be able to dial you in perfectly. He's very good at what he does and i feel very confident w/ him.

Let me know what you think about that.
have a good one.
margie

a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,

Closed Thread