I need some advice - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Big_Red should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default I need some advice

Hi there! I found this website and think it is totally the best! Sounds like everybody on here knows a lot too. So I hope that I can get some advice on where to go with my training.

I have been training for several years but I have never reached my goals. I tried the Body for Life thing for a while but for some reason I don' think it works for me. I am currently at 128-130 pounds and my bf is 19%. I would like to see that go down to 15%. I lift 3-4 days a week and try to do cardio 3 times a week. I live on a ranch and I ride horseback almost every day pretty hard, so its not like I don't do any thing. But it is hard to get that extra cardio in. For some reason I always get interrupted. I am seeing some muscle definition in my upper body and a little in my lower body. I just don't know where to turn to next. I have tried lots of different things and I am ready to acheive my goals! Does any one have any advice at all. I realize this is pretty vaugue but its a shot in the dark! I AM DESPERATE! I love to lift weights but I am tired if spinning my wheels!
Old 08-03-2002, 12:02 PM
The Azn Oak should change his/her status!
National Champion

Default Re: I need some advice

How is your diet like ?

Try & Write it down in the following format -

Meal 1 - Oatmeal, eggs, etc ...

Meal 2 - Chicken & Brown Rice with olive oil dressin, etc ...

etc ....
Old 08-03-2002, 05:24 PM
luvmypt should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

What does your training routine look like?
Old 08-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Stranger

This is what I am currently doing:

Legs:
Squats 4 sets with barbell
12 reps @ 40#
10 reps @ 45#
8 rep @ 50 #
6 reps @ 55#

Sometimes I superset these with lunges or step ups using the same rep range with weights being in between 15-25#

Hamstrings
4 sets of deadlifts and good mornings
same reps as above

Biceps
Alternating curl
3 sets of 10,8,6,
ez curl bar ""

triceps
lying extension 10,8,6 reps
kickbacks or close grip bench press 10,8,6

Chest
This is what I started this week
bench press 10.8.6
flat bench fly "
incline press ""
incline fly""

Shoulders
SHoulder press 10,8,6,
side lat raise ""

Back
One armed DB row
BEnt over row

I just recently went to 3 sets this week/ But this is pretty much what I do.

I do tae bo for cardio
My diet could be a little better. I don't always have time to eat all the meals I need to and I wonder If I eat too much/ I am just confused. I don't have any one around here to go to for advice!

Old 08-04-2002, 06:55 AM
National Champion

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Big_Red:</font><hr />My diet could be a little better. I don't always have time to eat all the meals I need to and I wonder If I eat too much/ I am just confused. I don't have any one around here to go to for advice!<hr /></blockquote>

You have us [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Please post your average day's diet if you could, since most gains come from proper nutrition as opposed to the training aspect
Old 08-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Stranger

This is a sample of what I eat during a day

1 egg with 2 whites, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast.

protien shake made with skim milk

salad with grilled chicken, ff cheese and low fat dressing(just a drizzle)

apple with peanut butter or maybe some more egg whites with a WW tortilla

Steak, salad, potato (sweet or regular) and accasionally some steamed broccoli or green beans

If I get this last meal in it is usually a shake before bed.

Who knows, I am so confused right now that even the things I know I am doing right don't seem to be working.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:54 PM
National Champion

Figured your diet was to blame [img]/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Here's are some points -

1 egg with 2 whites, 2 pieces of whole wheat toast.

Although the toast MAY seem like a good idea it isn't. It is high GI (glycemic index) and a high GI carb raises insulins a lot and fat can't burn in the presence of insulin hence we avoid high GI foods like bread since it is over-processed and most of the nutrients are lost &amp; toasting it makes it worse

In short, your eyes see toast but your brain sees SUGAR !! (glucose)

The ideal carb for breakfast is grapefruit or oatmeal (regular not instant)

Eggs are good, but you need more. Perhaps 4 whites and 1 whole egg.

For a fat source, you could have some PB here

protien shake made with skim milk

Milk has lactose (a sugar, we don't like sugar) and as before raises insulin levels.

A point to note, Protein although great is almost useless in the absence of fat and/or fiber. What happens is your body needs energy which is can only get from carbs or fat. Protein is used for rebuilding new cells and repairs, etc ...

BUT since there isn't enough fat or fiber present in the shake your body has no choice but to somehow get the energy from your protien. It'll convert the protien at up to a rate of 53% into glucose (I won't begin to tell the horrors of sugar) so it's a waste of your protein and might create fat gain.

A good protein shake here would be -

1 scoop whey, 1 tablespoon flax oil (cold pressed, organic) &amp; 1 apple blended together

salad with grilled chicken, ff cheese and low fat dressing(just a drizzle)

Again, it's a good meal but DON'T BE FAT-PHOBIC

The salad &amp; chicken is good, now if you could add some olive oil dressing (1 tablespoon olive oil, a little onion and 1 teaspoon vinegar) it'll taste much better and work better for you [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

apple with peanut butter or maybe some more egg whites with a WW tortilla

I see no fish for the day, perhaps some tuna or salmon ?

The salmon has enough fat by itself, whereas the tuna you can add some mayo.

Carbs wise, some brown rice would be super [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Steak, salad, potato (sweet or regular) and accasionally some steamed broccoli or green beans

Sweet potato would be better than regular is possible. Again no fat [img]/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If I get this last meal in it is usually a shake before bed.

Okay, shakes are good at nite but make sure its made out of -

1 scoop whey (protein)
2-3 tablespoons whipping cream (not the stuff in a can, its in the freezer section next to other creams) for fat
2-3 strawberries (fiber)

Now you're set to lose weight [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Remember you are increasing fat , so you'll need to lower carbs slightly (don't go below 100g) and you'll be fine
Old 08-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Stranger

WOw! THanks!
I thought I was doing so good. But i have to say I am even more confused. I was going by that Body for lIfe thing for so long, but like I said, it wasn't working. I didn't give up but I wan't getting anywhere.

I don't really like brown rice but maybe I can choke it down. I use olive oil quite a bit but never tried flax.

Have you heard about the Body Rx program? He incorporates ALOT of fiber in that diet and it makes sense. I just don't know where to go from here. I am wondering if I have the willpower to eat the way you described. If I could ever get it down maybe I could do it.

Thanks a million for your input!
Old 08-04-2002, 08:16 PM
National Champion

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by Big_Red:</font><hr /> WOw! THanks!
I thought I was doing so good. But i have to say I am even more confused. I was going by that Body for lIfe thing for so long, but like I said, it wasn't working. I didn't give up but I wan't getting anywhere.

I don't really like brown rice but maybe I can choke it down. I use olive oil quite a bit but never tried flax.

Have you heard about the Body Rx program? He incorporates ALOT of fiber in that diet and it makes sense. I just don't know where to go from here. I am wondering if I have the willpower to eat the way you described. If I could ever get it down maybe I could do it.

Thanks a million for your input! <hr /></blockquote>

SLOW &amp; STEADY DOES IT

Secondly, Although BFL and such like are good programs. They are for BEGINNERS, to grasp basic concepts and such like. <font color="red"> There is no such thing as the ideal diet. </font color> I can only give information and ideas and it's up to you to find what works from the choices given, and even find new ideas.

What I am trying to make you realise is that we need a good combination of protein/fats/carbs in our diet.

The ONLY thing we don't need in our diets is SUGAR. Our bodies have no use for it (perhaps the exception of post w/o)

Protein for repairs to our body from w/o's and preservation of LBM

Fat for energy

Carbs for brain processes

This makes it easier for your body to process bodyfat for energy

Lastly, your water intake should be a gallon per day MINIMUM.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:18 PM
National Champion

Oh ya, and ....

Brown is REALLY good for your body. Just learn to live with the taste.

Flax oil contains loads of good fats. It tastes horrible but is alright with shakes
Closed Thread