Barlow's Training Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 05:58 PM
Barlow should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Barlow\'s Training Journal

Well where to start, ive only just really started to put bodybuilding first in my life if you know what i mean, before cravings for food, drink and a shabby nutritional side of life! i would like to say sorry now for any spelling mistakes im not the best hehe!

Right i thought i would start one of these online journals as:
A. i hate to write
B. this site is great and i know i will get some advise
C. need to keep a track of my self!

i also thought it would be a good time to start as i have just found a new training partener off ABC from my home town and starting training with him tmorrow so that shud be fun and intence, thats person is RickTina by the way!

Ok Training Split:

Monday: Chest
Triceps

Wednesday: Back
Delts
Traps

Friday: Biceps
Forearms

Saturday: Legs
Abs

With the help of TheAnimal i have worked it out something like this:

Monday:

Chest:
Flat Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Dumbell Flys

Triceps:
Dips
Adam ( Old School ) Extensions
Cable Pushdowns

Wednesday:

Back:
Pull Ups
Deadlifts
Bentover Rows
Decline Hammer curl bar pullovers

Delts:
Push Presses
Standing Lateral Raises
Front Raises or Plate Raises

Traps:
Shrugs
Upright Rows

Friday:

Biceps:
I think i will run through the 8 weeks to bigger biceps from animal for this!

Forearms:
Same with this run thought the forearm routines from Oldschool

Saturday:

Legs: (i am open to opinions here im not too sure on this)
Squats
Leg curls
Leg extensions
Leg press ??????
Standing calf raises

Right there is the Training out the way now a little bit about my background. Well Tuesday and thursday i train for a local rugby club (very hard very intence) and in season (8 weeks away) i play on sunday. At the moment i consider my self very much over weight as before i came on here i didnt know the difference between a bulk and a cut all my life ive never been on any but now im going to start from this day forward! Been trainging hard and intence for around 4 months been going to a gym for about year and a half sounds stupid i know but im young! i suppose i gone on for long enough if anyone even managed to make it thourhg my speech to this part heheehe [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ill post more tomorrow but now i got some serious TV watching to do.

Thanks alot guy n gals
All comments on anything will be appreciated.
Thanks again
Barlow!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:57 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Barlow\'s Training Journal

Hey buddy, [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] looking like a solid routine. [img]/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Couple of questions though:

1. What are your goals- are you trying to lose weight, or gain mass. And what areas of your body are you trying to increase. And be specific, so if you are trying to increase your quads say wheater you just want overall mass or working on your outer sweep, or tear drop. [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2. Whats your diet, and supplimitation like.
[img]/forum/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

3. Are you currently doing rugby or any aroebics. If so how often and how long, and how intense. [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thats it for now. [img]/forum/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'll be waiting for your response.

Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Lightweight

ok here goes, well ive just woke up at 11:45am n went to sleep at 12:00pm so i think i am getting enough rest hehe [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Right goals, basically i want to be bigger and stronger (doesnt everyone) well im not too sure if you know much about rugby in the states in league i play not union, very tough intence phsical game which needs lots of stamina and strength as a am i forward (chuck me the ball i knock them out the way type player [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) so basically overall strength and yes to lose weight i have got one corking belly on me at the moment and my mass aint showin much exept on my arms and legs so this is were the diet steps in. The only diets ive been on in my life are.. low calorie (when im trying to lose weight cause my mum was too) or eat what i like diet, but now i realise the importance of diet i am realy going to put some effort in, ive made a start by stopping the chocolate, drinking whey, and eating a nice chicken breast before i go to bed. i know its not much but its a start and i will go further.

Suplimentation: None? [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] i got some whey and some creatine here at my home but never got round to using the creatine which i guess is a good time to start using it now?!?!? ill do the load up 4 times daily for 5 days then once in morning and one more when, night with dinner or before/after training not sure on that second maintinance dose. i feel i should be using others like glutamaine?? (spelling hehe [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) but not sure how and if its suitable for me.

Well hope there is enough there for you to give me some help [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks alot
Barlow!!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:18 AM
Lightweight

ahh rugby training! tuesday and thursday for around 1 and half hours starts off light game for 15 then intence training (running, charing at pads, press ups, sit ups, star jumps, squat thrusts etc) and a 10 min non stop run then after thats done (takes an hour) a 15 min intence game to finish off! then when the season starts again it will be sunday game time!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:07 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Good Stuff. A very Solid ROutine
Old 07-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Hey Barlow!
That routine looks real solid!

Yes, nutrition is 75% of the game!
Keep the whey in there for sure!(by the way there is chocolate whey, so you don't have to give it all up-hehehe).

At your age I'm willing to bet you could lose a lot of your fat by just cleaning up your diet.
Eliminate refined and starchy carbs. And cut down on your carbs at night(for awhile).
Try to eat more lean meats and veggies with your meals.
For your carbs sources try to eat slower-burning carbs like oatmeal, brown rice, and yams.
You can lose a good amount of fat by just cleaning up your diet like this without any significant reduction in calories!!

Also start including a post-workout shake, and drink it immedieately after you lift!
Add water, whey, 5g creatine, and a simple carb, like sugar or gatorade powder. Mix it up and drink it down. I like to use a container and just put a lid on it and shake it up. This is the only time you should be taking in a simple carb, like sugar. Simple carbs spike the insulin levels, which can be good and bad. Post-workout its good as it will shuttle the whey and creatine right into your muscles! Througout the day, its bad, as it will make you more likely to store fat!

If you are trying to get more muscle you need lots of protein. Basically as a bodybuilder the saying"you are what you eat" is taken literally! If you want to be muscle, eat muscle! In other words foods containing lots of protein. Your on the right track already! Lots of chicken, steak, beef, salmon, whey, etc.

The training program looks great so far. The set up is good, and you have a hardcore partner.
Put 110% into the forearm program and 110% into your nutrition and you will have stronger forearms than anyone on your team!

Good luck!
Adam.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

The only suggestion I have for your training is to add more for your calves.
Calves play such a huge part in all sports.
They literally balance your body, and when developed can make you quicker on your feet and more agile!

This is from Jake's calf article from last month:

Essentially every action in the lower body begins at the ankle and foot joints! The frontal calf region is
just as important to every sport as it is to bodybuilding. Enhancement in this region, will make you faster, stronger, and more explosive! Lets get into it.

Eversion and Inversion

Back when I played hockey, I would attend as many power skating seminars as I possibly could. You know, try and pick up a trick here, or a revolutionary technique there. One of the badest experts in the art of skating I had ever met most certainly enhanced my weaponry in this regard. He used to call himself an " ankle " man.
You see every hockey player has a system of tieing their skates that is unique to their style of play. This instructor would tie the laces nearest his ankles, very loosely so that he had full range of motion at the ankle joint. He could turn on a dime, spin like a top, and cross over like maniac! In order to do this, he had to seriously strengthen his ability to both evert and invert his foot. You see every single sport relies on these two actions heavily!

How do you think barry sanders is able to cut corners so sharply. Or what about Michael Jordan! I swear when he crossed over he seemed to have the ability to almost touch the ground, thats how strong his ankles were! In essence, if you ever hope to have 3d movement in your sport, being side to side, a 45 degree angle cut, spin, forward to side movement, back to side movement, hooking, shuffling, etc. you will have no choice but to strengthen your ability to invert and evert your foot! Period! In fact I would go so far to say, that in a years time of working this aspect through weight training that you could literally double your mobility on the field, court, or what have you!

Secondly, working on these actions, protects you from the most common injury of all, ankle sprains! When my brother and I were into martial arts, he ended out spraining his ankle in the worst manner possible. He was doing a jump hook crescent kick for show, and landed wrong, and the whole class could here the snap in his ankle! It literally ended his career in this respect! Had he, and countless other athletes worked on this aspect of training, then I would say most of them would have never been injured in the first place!

Basketball is the same thing. How anyone in an airborne sport such as this, does not build up their frontal calf muscles is beyond me. This needs to be thoroughly stressed in all basketball programs. All you martial artists out their know the importance of not just ankle stability, but also ankle flexibility. Every stance I can think of calls for this. The horse stance, the cat stance, etc. etc. Not to mention, an athlete cannot ever properly execute a side kick, or hook kick if he cannot evert his foot with extreme precision.

Balance

As discussed the medial arch has many attributes. The first is that it balances your body. What most people do not understand, is if the frontal calf muscles were paralyzed, you would have to lift your foot high off the ground, every time you took a step so that you wouldn't trop over your own feet! This is because the muscles in this region firmly hold your feet up. Anyone who has a problem with tripping in their sport will benefit from working this region out. Back to the medial arch, it actually balances and stabilizes the entire weight of your body! Essentially all flied, or court sports involve contact. Whether in the rules or not! That's just the way things are. Anyone who believes that basketball, or soccer is not a contact sport, has never seriously played them! The athletes out their are banging, and scraping all day long. Let alone football, hockey, wrestling, martial arts etc. How many of you have been hit by a week blow while playing a game, and either fell or lost your balance, when in your mind you should not have done so?! Almost everyone has. By strengthening the tibialis anterior, which directly supports the medial arch, you will virtually eliminate this annoying aspect of play.

Furthermore, if you are one of those tuff guys who can take big hits, you will double your ability to receive one and deliver one! One of the most embarrassing things when you try and stand someone up on a hit is, when the opponent ends out standing you up instead, because you couldn't keep your footing. A play like that can mess up your entire game, physically and perhaps even greater mentally. Not to mention your opponent will double his confidence! The art of laying someone out( or crushing them with a huge hit ), has just as much to do with balance as it with power! And of course, we can go on and on about how balance effects every movement executed on the field, but you get the point!

Speed, Explosion and Power!

The medial arch have allot of give to it. In effect, it acts like a spring, or a shock absorber whenever weight is transferred to it! Constant pressure on the arch, will lessen this spring effect, and can cause serious injuries.
The tibialis anterior, actually lifts this arch up higher, and in turn enhances your ability to absorb shock and get this! It also allows you to transfer that power, much like a rubber band into your next explosive movement!
Therefore if you run a pattern in football, that causes you to stop and go, you will be able to transfer a tremendous amount more of the energy you had before you stopped, into the go! When the tibialis is well developed, you will literally feel like a bullet being fired out of a frigging gun! You know very well, that the amount of time it takes to get to your top speed( from 0-100 mph! ) is every bit as important as your actual top speed! Its all about how explosive you are out of the whole! the type of explosion that leaves the enemy in the trenches!

Long Runs

The main candidate for shin splints and other lower leg injuries are long distance runners. Strengthen your medial arch, and enhance your ability to cushion each step, and you may never develop shin splints again"

You could split it up so you are working the back calves on leg day and the frontal calves on Monday.

Jake has some good splits here:

calf workouts
Old 07-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Lightweight

thanks alot oldschool i will take that advise and use it well! Ive just got back from training bit of a mix up with me and Ricktina hehe he was a bit late and i went in and started my workout he came and we didnt recognize each other for over 30mins hehe but never the less we ended up training for a short while togather [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I started on biceps and game them a right good pump using the preacher curls machine very close grip for 3 sets. then very wide grip for 3 sets OUCHIE! Then moved over the the dumbells whipped 1 of them up and went onto the preacher curl seat/bench and did them. Then over to the cables and did High Cable Pulley Curls to failure AHH great stuff! [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Now for the forearms i started on some reasonable weighted hammer curls alternate hands then after failure i did negetives with that weight BANG the pump has started!
Then moved onto behind back wrist curls with a heavey weight knocking 14 reps out at failure picked up a light bar and fired out another 10! as soon as that was done i did cliff hanger (just one) till i couldnt grip no more! then dumbell wrist curls and that was it! i had the pump and the shakes [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] great stuff!

So far tday i have eaten a meat and potato pastie (oops)with half a very lean turkey breast (that was my dinner i only woke up at around 12 [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) then i went training ate a turkey breat sandwich after training and now im home!

Ok thats it for now
Thanks again oldschool look forward to more advise! [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 05:59 AM
Lightweight

ok yesterday was going well untill my dad brought home a whopping kebab and well half of it was for me and i cudnt resist [img]/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] well apart from that i ate really well al day mainy chicken!
Today im going to have to miss the gym as my legs are really sore from rugby and i dont want to damage anything so ill see if i can go for a light bike ride later on to get em going again!
Old 07-27-2002, 02:28 PM
RickTina should change his/her status!
Lightweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by OldSchool:</font><hr />

and you have a hardcore partner.

<hr /></blockquote>

Too right [img]/forum/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Closed Thread