k_koolman's neverending bulk journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 02:55 PM
k_koolman should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default k_koolman\'s neverending bulk journal

Well, this is my first attempt at a journal, so I'll do what I can. I've been bulking at about 3000+ cals for the last 4-6 weeks. I've worked my way up to 3500 cals, and today is my first day at 3500, and so it begins! I've started a new training program called Max-OT. I got it from the AST Sports Sciences website. Any opinions regarding Max-OT and AST-SS are welcome, as are any opinions regarding my training and nutrition programs.

Max-OT means Maximum intensity in minimal time. Workouts are to be not much longer than 40 minutes, no more than 6-9 sets per muscle group, and for reps.....The idea is to attempt 6 reps each time, and if you can't reach six, go for 4-6 reps...A forced rep is allowed for the last rep if needed. I've been filling my workout with supersets and 21's for the previous phase of my bulk, so I figured I'd get back to basics...And thus, Max-OT.

The following are my nutrition and training programs. Feel free to comment.

Max-OT training schedule
===================
MONDAY: Chest/Back
3 sets of Flat bench press
2 sets of Dumbell flys
3 sets of Incline Bench
3 sets of Deadlifts
3 sets of Lat pulldown
2 sets of behind the neck barbell press

TUESDAY: Abs
Leg raises
Crunches
Twisting crunches
Reverse crunches
Limb extentions

WEDNESDAY:Shoulders/Traps
3 sets of front push presses
3 sets of Upright rows
3 sets of side laterals
3 sets of Hang Cleans
3 sets of Shrugs

THURSDAY: Legs
3 sets of Squats
2 sets of Leg Extensions
2 sets of Leg Curls
Seated calve raises
Smith machine calve raises

FRIDAY: Triceps/Biceps/Forearms
3 sets of curls with EZ curl bar
2 sets of concentration curls
2 sets of hammer curls
Behind the back barbell wrist curls
3 sets of Skull crushers
3 sets of Tricep press downs
3 sets of Dips

Saturday:Abs and rest
Leg raises- 30 reps
Crunches- 30 reps
Twisting crunches
Reverse crunches
Limb extentions

Sunday: Rest day

====
So as you can see, I've got chest/back today. I'll make sure to update with how the workout/day went, etc. after it all happens.

NUTRITION
==================
BREAKFAST:
1 multivitamin
1 vitamin C tablet
1 calcium/vitamin D tablet
1 cup OATMEAL- 300 cals
1 TBSP PB- 190 cals
22 grams of whey- 110 cals
1 cup milk 1% milk- 100 cals
CALS- 620
PROTEIN- 47g
CARBS- 60g
FAT- 29g

====================

MEAL 2:

PB Sandwich- 500 cals
Apple- 100 cals
1 1/2 cups milk- 150 cals
CALS- 750 cals
PROTEIN- 32g
CARBS-28g
FAT-27g
====================

MEAL3:
Tuna sandwich- 360 cals
1 1/2 cups milk- 150 cals
CALS- 510 cals
PROTEIN- 56g
CARBS- 30g
FAT- 5g
====================

MEAL 4:
1 cup OATMEAL- 300 cals
1 cup milk- 100 cals
22 grams of whey- 110
CALS- 510
PROTEIN- 38g
CARBS- 50g
FAT- 3g
====================

Meal 5- PRE-WORKOUT:
1 scoop Whey-110 cals
1 1/2 cup skim milk- 135 cals
5g Creatine
CALS- 245
PROTEIN- 30g
CARBS- 13g
========================

MEAL 6: (post workout)
2 scoops Whey- 220 cals
1 1/2 cup skim milk- 135 cals
5g Creatine
CALS- 355
PROTEIN- 52g
CARBS- 1g
FAT- 1g
====================

MEAL 7:
I plan on getting a good P/C/F ratio, and about 600-700 cals here. It's dinner,
so when my parents make it, it's tough to eat right, but I will make it happen!
====================

MEAL 8:
1 scoop whey- 110 cals
Protein- 22g

======================================
GRAND TOTAL:
3550 CALS
PROTEIN- 277g+dinner
CARBS- 213g or so
FAT- 65g+dinner

It may look at little sketchy, but I feel pretty good about it, albeit the lack of lean protein such as meat, etc. But I make sure to load up on it at dinner, and tuna is often a replacement for some of the protein shakes.

Um, that's it for now, I'll keep you updated with pics etc. throughout the bulk!

Train hard, eat hard, and get huge! Good luck to everyone else with their journals!

See ya.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:35 AM
rianevans should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: k_koolman\'s neverending bulk journal

Hey dude, you are heading in the right direction with the training and whoever got you into Max-OT must be a pretty cool and smart dude [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , but you really have too many sets going on. Remember, you need to follow all the Max-OT guidelines. One of those guidelines is at least 2 minutes of rest between work sets. Another is keeping workouts under 40 minutes. See how you number of sets could/will be a problem? Also, flyes really don't allow for much overload, no isolation exercise does, so get rid of 'em! [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Lightweight

Yeah, the guy who got me into Max-OT is a total monster! But yeah, I figured I had too many sets, but you know how it is, just thinking it's not enough, etc. The workout did go pretty long, but I'm sore as hell today. I'll probly change it next time around.

As for dumbell flys, different things work for different people, and I feel they've worked for me. It's a great exercise that packs mass on quickly to the pectorals. The focus is almost entirely on the stretching portion of the exercise, which expands the fasciae and allows for a greater muscular growth. (Good ol' ABC)

ANYWAY, I wasn't able to post yesterday, but I just thought I'd update, letting everyone know how my workout went. I did chest and back, and below is what I did.

MONDAY: Chest/Back
3 sets of Flat bench press
2 sets of Dumbell flys
3 sets of Incline Bench
3 sets of Deadlifts
3 sets of Lat pulldown
2 sets of behind the neck barbell press

I followed my meal plan flawlessly, and hopefully today will be just as good, in both nutrition and training.

Until next time!

Later everyone!
Old 07-03-2002, 01:05 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Looks great so far!!
Old 07-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Lightweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by OldSchool:</font><hr /> Looks great so far!! <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks a lot Oldschool!

Time for an update! I went a bit below 3500 cals yesterday, but no biggy I guess [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Today's workout is Shoulders and Traps. And I can't freakin' wait. I have a feeling this is gonna become one of my favorite workouts!

3 sets of Upright rows
3 sets of side laterals
3 sets of Hang Cleans
3 sets of Shrugs

I'm looking to toadally PUNISH my Traps, and get some massive growth out of them in the next few weeks. My two favorite muscles are traps and tris by the way. I may change the number of sets before the workout, 'cause I can already tell it's gonna be too many. But we'll see what happens.

Yesterdays's (July 2nd, 2002's) ab workout went pretty well. The workout lasted about 25 mins, and I got two good sets of each exercise in. The workout is below.

TUESDAY: Abs
Leg raises
Weighted twisting crunches
Reverse crunches
Limb extentions

I had a nice six pack coming in a month or so ago, but having not worked the ol' abs for about that long, they seem to have diminished. So I'm starting the same way I originally got results, with weighted twisting crunches. Any size I ever got in my abs, I feel I owe it to those. Whether or not they actually contributed to it is anyone's guess though hehe.

I might go up to three sets next week, but I figured I'd go easy and get great form this time around, having not worked my abs for a while.

That's all for now, I'll let you know how today's workout went when I'm done!

Oh yeah, and one more thing, I'm still sore as hell from Monday's workout, and I love it!

All for now.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Middleweight

Well, if you insist on doing the flys, which is cool if you feel they have worked for you, just do them as your last exercise so they don't attribute any fatigue and allow for less overload. I just stopped doing the flyes recently. They always got me hella sore, which was a nice feeling, but I feel I am better off just doing tons of bench press. I don't like isolation exercises, I go for compound whenever I can. I feel that isolation movements aren't very efficient for maximum muscle stimulation and limit the amount of overload one can use. Like you said though, different things work for different people, and that's very true. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (I've seen this guys pecs in-person, good stuff!) Keep up the hard work!
Old 07-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Middleweight

Oh, one more quick thing about the flys; get a good stretch on 'em, as it sounds like you are doing, but exaggerate the stretch because that places a lot of stress on your shoulder joints and could lead to injury. [img]/forum/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Lightweight

Just a quick update. Yesterday's workout looked something like this:

3 sets of Upright rows
3 sets of side laterals
3 sets of Hang Cleans
3 sets of Shrugs

The traps are sore today, so I'm obviously lovin' it hehe. The shoulder portion of the workout was ok, but I might look into some new shoulder exercises to put in there. I was impressed with my front push presses (standing, barbell), as I was able to up the weight. The same goes for hang cleans and shrugs. Only thing with shrugs is my freakin' grip giving out before my traps do! [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You all know what I'm talkin' about!

Anyway, today was GOING to be legs, but the weight room isn't open today....Hey, it IS the fourth of July, I guess I'll just try to have some fun, and stick with the meal plan today. Tomorrow we've got arms! And I'm ready as always to destroy 'em.

Later.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Lightweight

I just got done with a Bi/Tri/Forearm workout. It went pretty well I felt. I was completely drained after the workout. So much so, I seriously had trouble PULLING DOWN the seatbelt in my car. [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

FRIDAY: Triceps/Biceps/Forearms
3 sets of curls with EZ curl bar
2 sets of concentration curls
2 sets of hammer curls
Behind the back barbell wrist curls
2 sets of Skull crushers
4 sets of Tricep press downs
3 sets of Dips

The workout actually didn't last that long, so I was still within the Max-OT training guidelines I guess.

I'm planning on removing concentration curls from my Bicep workout. I don't know what it is, but they just don't really do it for me. Oh well.

Eating went well today.

I guess that sums it up for today. Later.
Old 07-06-2002, 05:38 AM
Middleweight

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by k_koolman:</font><hr />
The workout actually didn't last that long, so I was still within the Max-OT training guidelines I guess. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't forget the rest 2-3 (2-5 during leg workouts) minutes between sets guideline.
Closed Thread