dorf's journal (comment here) - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 07:39 PM
imported_MUSCLES should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: dorf\'s journal (comment here)

Good workout dorf how do you feel after this workout? And where are you sore?
These iron crosses must be killers in your program.

Stay fit stay healthy>keep pumpin

TRY TO COMPETE IF YOU CAN ITS AWSOME!
Old 02-18-2002, 02:17 AM
dorf should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by muscles:
Good workout dorf how do you feel after this workout? And where are you sore?
These iron crosses must be killers in your program.
<hr></blockquote>

My back and shoulder workout actually hurts. Maybe I'm doin' somethin' wrong, nearly everyone says these are the areas they have trouble getting sore. Granted, my back and shoulders aren't real sore compared to other areas, but they're still pretty sore nonetheless.
The Iron Crosses came from some article somebody posted about good ways to finish up a workout called the 2-minute drill. Can't find the link, but I've got the article pasted in a word document, so I'll post it.

"Two-minute drills
The following exercises aren’t so much feats of strength as they are tests of intestinal fortitude. The goal is to perform each exercise for two minutes—to simulate the oftentimes critical final two minutes of a football game, when it’s gut-check time, says Zupancic. You’ll find that these “mind games” aren’t pleasant. They’re not comfortable to do. But that’s the point—to take you out of your “comfort zone” to help you acquire the skill to consistently go above and beyond “perceived” muscle failure. See, because these exercises don’t require brute strength to perform, your mind will always want to “give in” before your muscles. Your challenge is to learn to push yourself through this initial pseudo-fatigue. At first, you probably won’t be able to make it the full two minutes. (If you can, raise the bar and go for two minutes, 30 seconds, or three minutes.) I think you’ll discover that each time you perform these exercises, you’ll get better—you’ll get closer to making it all the way through. Is it because you’re getting stronger physically? No. It’s because you’re getting stronger in the true sense of the word.
Backed up against the wall
This is your classic wall sit. With your back square against the wall, squat down so your thighs are parallel with the floor. You might be tempted to push down on the tops of your legs to help hold yourself up. Don’t. Like your old high school PE teacher would say, you’ll be cheating nobody but yourself if you do. About a minute in, you’ll be wanting to call Smokey Bear to extinguish the forest fire raging in your thighs. But forget about the pain and try to push through ’til the two minutes are up.
Drop and gimme 2!
Pretend like you’re gonna do a push-up. Only go halfway down and hold it. Stay like that for two minutes if you can. After about a minute, your chest and arms will be screaming “Quit!” Your job is to summon the inner strength to tell your chest and arms to “Shut up!”
Mr. T
I pity the fool who gives up before the two minutes are up on this exercise. To start, grab a pair of light dumbbells, say five pounders. Then, with your arms straight, extend them out to your sides—so you form a big “T.” Hold this iron cross until the second hand makes two trips around the clock. If it’s too “easy” for you, increase the weight until it isn’t.
Playing bridge
If you’ve ever performed the ab bridge exercise, you know the unpleasantness this drill brings—both to your midsection and your mind. Get down on the floor like you’re going to do a push-up on your forearms instead of your hands. Create a sort of “bridge.” Don’t let your belly dip down and rest on the floor. Keep straight and static. Again, the goal is to hold it for two minutes.
Hang time
What you’re going to want to do for this exercise is grip a pull-up bar and just hang there, like you’re a slab of raw meat in a slaughterhouse freezer. Don’t let your feet rest on the floor. Just “hang out” for two minutes. It sounds easy enough. But most folks can’t do it. Then again, most folks give up when the goin’ gets tough.

Behind the plate
To see which of his players are really Colts and which ones are closer to fillies, Indianapolis strength coach Tom Zupancic often puts his players through this brutal drill. To start, grab a 10-pound barbell plate (if you think you’re really a stud, go ahead and grab the 45-pounder) and sit on a Swiss ball or weight bench. Keeping your back and arms straight, extend the weight in front of you, so you can peer through the plate’s “donut hole.” Try to hold it there for the full two. Sometimes, say after a Colts loss, instead of asking his players to “simply” sit there while holding a 45-pound plate, Zupancic makes ’em walk the length of the football field and back—looking all the bit like zombies carrying manhole covers.
Conclusion
Include one of these two-minute drills at the end of each of your workouts. For example, after your leg workout, finish off with a two-minute wall sit. After you get done training shoulders, hit an iron cross for 120 seconds. Punctuate a back workout with Zupancic’s plate drill, etc. By the time you’ve made it through the full two minutes in each of these drills, which might look easy on paper but are anything but easy, you will know what real strength is all about."
Old 02-19-2002, 01:48 AM
Light-Heavyweight

February 18
Ah, finally hit the weights again. Legs and lower back. Felt so painfully great. My knee is kinda sore from Deadlifts, and I feel sick, but I think I might actually BE sick, so it's not like my workout was all that tedious...although I'm sweating worse than I have in weeks.

Good Mornings: 70*10, 90*10, 110*7
Three-Pump Lunges (weight given is the weight of the single dumbell...one in each hand): 40*5, 50*4
Stationary Lunges (weight just like above): 50*4, 50*5
Deadlift: 160*5, 180*4, 190*5
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 130*6, 150*5, 160*4

That's all for today...Kind of regret doing back before legs. Should've started with legs, but they got hit pretty good anyway.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:14 AM
Light-Heavyweight

February 19
No workout today. Feeling sick, and had a paper due that took all evening to finish.
Was looking through some old training logs though and found my body stats, so I thought I'd post 'em compared to today.

10-27-2001
Weight: 190 pounds
Neck: 15 7/8 inches
Chest: 42
Waist: 36
Thigh: 24 1/4
Calf: 16 3/8
Biceps: 14 1/4
Forearm: 11 5/8

2-18-02
Weight: 175 pounds
Neck: 15 1/2
Chest: 42 1/4
Waist: 35 1/2
Thigh: 25 1/8
Calf: 16 1/2
Biceps: 14 1/4
Forearm: 12 1/2

Not great improvement, but hadn't trained for a while in there, and a lot of the previous measurements were fat. Much more cut now, although still a long ways to go. And, not sure how accurate the first measurements were.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Middleweight

Thanks for the info on mind training after a workout I feel this is most important.

Where do you get all your info from?
You've got heaps!
Soyanora Mr.T

Stay fit stay healthy&gt;keep pumpin

Old 02-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Light-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by muscles:
Where do you get all your info from?
<hr></blockquote>

Somebody posted it a while back I think. I'm always browsing the web for any helpful info like that though.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:50 AM
Light-Heavyweight

February 26
Well, after my grandpa's sickness, death, and funeral...along with my own bout with the flu, I'm back to lifting.
Picked up where I left off, which made today arms. This morning, I got up and without thinking picked something up in such a way that would've been like concentration curls...noticed that I have some more veins popping out of my forearms when I flex for a few seconds...After this, was totally pumped (forgive my pun) for the workout. Triceps first, then biceps...would've done some forearms, but my wrists were killing me after everything else, so I skipped 'em...I know "Bad justin, bad dorf"...oh well, I'll do 'em another day this week.

Standing DB Extensions: 50*8, 50*4, 50*6, 60*4, 60*4
Lying BB Extensions: 45*7, 50*8, 60*6, 60*5
BB Curls: 40*7
Reverse BB Curls: 40*6
Alternating DB Curls: 25*8(each arm), 35*6
Concentration Curls: 25*7, 35*4

I hate working biceps, but threw in concentration curls today. I love those...kinda looking at my arm as I'm doing 'em and from that angle, my biceps and triceps looked freaking huge. Just noticed that I left out the triceps kickbacks...wondered why it seemed like I didn't have as many triceps exercises...Also noticed that I did one set more on DB extensions than I meant to.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Middleweight

Welcome back Dorf not a happy occation funerals are they!Is it possible to email me those iron cross extracts I can't get them of your posts!

email address
muscles1954@hotmailnet.net

Do you workout by yourself?
I workout by myself but asked the Gymn attendent to spot me and got to do extra (view my journal)
reps which I didn't think I could do!It was a great feeling of achievement!Keep going mate your doing great!Your extremely hardcore and determent,there should be more of us!

STAY FIT STAY HEALTHY&gt;KEEP PUMPIN

Old 02-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Middleweight

I meant the two minute drills extract not just the IRON CROSS by itself.
Thanks.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:22 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Welcome back Dorf not a happy occation funerals are they!Is it possible to email me those iron cross extracts I can't get them of your posts!

email address
muscles1954@hotmailnet.net

Do you workout by yourself?
I workout by myself but asked the Gymn attendent to spot me and got to do extra (view my journal)
reps which I didn't think I could do!It was a great feeling of achievement!Keep going mate your doing great!Your extremely hardcore and determent,there should be more of us!

My grandpa's kidneys failed last year, so he had been on dialysis since then. Las month, he was diagnosed with liver cancer, which had progressed enough that it was incurable, and would've been a slow and painful death. Instead, he opted to quit dialysis and die from the kidney failure, which would be relatively painless and we knew it would take about a week. So, he was happy to have all his kids and their families around during his last few days. He got to say his goodbyes, and so did we. So, the mourning was kind of over by the funeral. It was weird.

I tried e-mailing that to ya, but it's not working...I keep getting it back with a failure message.

Right now I workout at home alone, but I had worked out in the school gym with a few good lifting buddies who would push me on to greater things than I thought were possible for me. Just knowing somebody's there to spot you so that you can push yourself completely and will have somebody there to help if you need it can be enough to get those extra reps out or that extra weight on the bar.

And thanks, it's people saying stuff like that who keep me going the most.