Choosing the right whey - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Supplement Reviews

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
andreasy is taking big risks
Lightweight

Default Choosing the right whey

In all of my life I have been listening to expert opinions and ideas about which is the best and worst type of whey and I have heard so many opinions that today at my 39 years of age I realised I know nothing. I am now so confused that I am convinced that I know nothing.

I usually get my information from supplement stores which is not the best place to get this as everyone tries to sell what gives them most profit but I try to filter out what I find reasonable explanation. I am most concenrned about selecting the most apropriate whey.
Different opinions I get are:
1) Pure whey is the best
2) Pure isolate is the best because of rapid absorbption
3) Isolate is not always good. Get a blended whey with isolate, concentrate, egg, and soy protein because it will gradually release protein and this is more beneficial
4) Take an all-in-one protein to save money. It doesn't matter if creatine, glutamine are included. Why buy them separately? it's the same.
5) Don't take all-in-one but pure whey and buy each supplement separately.

Now, for me all explanations sound reasonable so I always end up in buying what they want to sell me.

Could someone please tell me which is the correct answer? I am not a pro bodybuilder but rather a well-built enthusiast without enough time to read and educate myself on nutrition and workouts so I just try to do my best as an amateur. My targets are as most people, fitness and some muscle gain or maintenance without fat gains so I could say, clean bulk but not too much. I would be very happy if at last this big issue for me could be clarified once and for all.

Finally, the last product that was promoted to me is EXTRIFIT WPC 80 which is a Czech product. (www.extrifit.com/wpc80.html). I haven't managed to find any review so does anyone know of this product? is it any good or just another muscletech-kind of whey. Are there any reviews for this?

Lastly, as a pre-workout I got Muscletech Nano-Vapor although I have always been against Muscletech but the salesman there insisted very strongly that it I should try it and that I wouldn't be disappointed so I thought why not give it a try. So is that product really good or just over-marketed product as many people claim for Muscletech?

Sorry for big post but usually I don't post so consider this as an all-in-one post :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
bigironcross is working to get less huge and better proportioned!
Middleweight

Has any of the whey protein products helped you reach your goals?

If so, keep doing them until they stop working.

If not, dump them.

Real foods (tuna, turkey, chicken, steak, etc.) may work best.

I'm as confused about whey protein as you. lf the calories, fat, carbs and protein numbers seem reasonable, I've always heard to buy the cheapest since they all work the same.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Kenny Croxda should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy View Post
In all of my life I have been listening to expert opinions and ideas about which is the best and worst type of whey and I have heard so many opinions that today at my 39 years of age I realised I know nothing. I am now so confused that I am convinced that I know nothing.
Whey Confusion

The various whey's can be confusing. The best value is usually whey concentrate.

However, most companies provide a blend of whey isolate, whey concentrate and sometime some other wheys.

My suggestion would be just to purchase a good brand with that has the blend and take it.

In other words, don't over think it.

Quote:
I usually get my information from supplement stores which is not the best place to get this as everyone tries to sell what gives them most profit but I try to filter out what I find reasonable explanation. I am most concenrned about selecting the most apropriate whey.
Supplement Store Personnel

One of the problems is that many individuals who work supplement stores have very limited knowledge.

Finding an individual at a supplement store who know their stuff is difficult.

Thus, one of the major keys to understanding this or anything is to do you home work

Quote:
Different opinions I get are:
1) Pure whey is the best
The Best

1) How much more do you pay for "The Best"?

2) Does "The Best" give you that much more than one that "Good"?

Think of it this way. A Lexus is better than a Toyota.

However, a Toyota will get you to where you want to go just as well and with about the same amount of comfort as a Lexus.

So, why buy a Lexus when a Toyta does the job.

The same thing applies to nutrition or anything else.

Quote:
2) Pure isolate is the best because of rapid absorbption
Hyprolyzed Whey

Hydrolyzed is even faster and more expensive.

1) How much faster is Isolate or Hydrolyzed absorbed?

2) How much of a difference does "rapid absorbtion" make?

I doubt that it make much of a difference.

Pre, Peri and Post Workout

Also, what is the point of having a "rapid absorption" protein? As long as you ingesting a pre, peri (during) and post workout whey/high glycemic index beverage you are shuttling nutrients to the muscles.

Quote:
3) Isolate is not always good. Get a blended whey with isolate, concentrate, egg, and soy protein because it will gradually release protein and this is more beneficial
Blend

Most supplement companies now combine a blend of whey protein. So, that is pretty much a given.

Combining Different Proteins

Combining different proteins elicits a greater anabolic response.

A great stack is whey and caseinate. Dr Jeff Volek article below goes into this.

Whey vs. casein protein
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/show...?articleid=787

Evidently, this article won't help you because you don't read or want to learn thing on your own...as you stated below.

Quote:
4) Take an all-in-one protein to save money. It doesn't matter if creatine, glutamine are included. Why buy them separately? it's the same.
All-In-One

It is questionable if you save money with an all in one. I find it cheaper to purchase my whey and caseinate from seperate companies.

Mixing

Another factor is that purchasing them seperate allows me to mix my percentage as I wish, rather than being tied to the "all in one" percentage.

I mix in a greater percentage of whey to caseinate for my Pre, Peri and Post Workout beverage.

Prior to going to bed, I mix in a greater pecentage of caseinate to whey.

Quote:
5) Don't take all-in-one but pure whey and buy each supplement separately.
I perfer this.

Quote:
Now, for me all explanations sound reasonable so I always end up in buying what they want to sell me.
I am a former memeber of this club.

When things are new to you, you depend on other for instruction.

As you learn more, you become adept at making your own decisions.

Quote:
Could someone please tell me which is the correct answer? I am not a pro bodybuilder but rather a well-built enthusiast without enough time to read and educate myself on nutrition and workouts so I just try to do my best as an amateur. .
Not Enough Time

This is a cop out. You have enough time to read and educate yourself.

Make Time

You don't "Make Time" to read and education yourself.

We all "Make Time" for things we want to do, want to learn, etc.

So, at this point you are going to be held hostage to whoever you talk to...not knowing what right.

Quote:
My targets are as most people, fitness and some muscle gain or maintenance without fat gains so I could say, clean bulk but not too much. I would be very happy if at last this big issue for me could be clarified once and for all..
Personal Trainer

What you need to find ONE knowledgeable individual to tell you what to do.

Right now, you are listing to too many people telling you too many different things...which confuses you.

Since you have decided NOT to take the time to learn, you need to spend the money and find a good Personal Trainer.

Quote:
Finally, the last product that was promoted to me is EXTRIFIT WPC 80 which is a Czech product. (www.extrifit.com/wpc80.html). I haven't managed to find any review so does anyone know of this product? is it any good or just another muscletech-kind of whey. Are there any reviews for this?

Lastly, as a pre-workout I got Muscletech Nano-Vapor although I have always been against Muscletech but the salesman there insisted very strongly that it I should try it and that I wouldn't be disappointed so I thought why not give it a try. So is that product really good or just over-marketed product as many people claim for Muscletech?

Sorry for big post but usually I don't post so consider this as an all-in-one post :-)
You want all the anwers to the universe in one sentence.

Here it is...

"There ain't NO free lunch."

You have a couple of options.

1) Read and learn...which doesn't appear to be something that will happen with you.

2) Believe whatever the supplement store employ tell you and then buy everything they recommend...that's an education...an expensive one.

Kenny Croxdale
Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
ecko31s is officially in full beast mode again
Bantamweight

Hi Andreasy,

I have literally tried every type of protein out there over the years and the blended proteins have produced the greatest results by far. As Kenny mentioned, buying Whey and Casein protein separate and mixing them yourself are a great option which I have also done. Or you could buy a blended protein. The taste and price determine which of the two I buy. Optimum nutrition is a good quality brand protein to go with if you're mixing Whey and Casein. If you're going to buy a blended protein, I would go with Syntha-6. As far as getting advice from a store employee, I wouldn't because they'll tell you anything to sell more products. Best thing to do is research and read yourself. Also trial and error is what I live by to see what my body responds to.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Jemimasmith should change his/her status!

it has been quite confusing to choose what is right to take and what is not and the majority of such products in bulk into the market has made it tougher to stay on one.. what to do now? is there any apt solution..

Last edited by Jemimasmith; 10-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.