Exeriencing Something Strange - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > Psychology of Bodybuilding

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 01:54 AM
OverTheHill should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Exeriencing Something Strange

First, let me apologize if this is posted in the wrong thread, it was the closest thing I could find.
Background, I haven't really worked out steadily or correctly for many years, after I retired from the military at 38.
So, I'm basically a beginner. I joined a gym about 6 weeks ago, and have been doing combo cardio/weight training, with more emphasis on building muscle mass and strength.
Here's the strange thing, that I don't ever recall having happen to me while in the military. After a work out, I am generaly fairly exhausted. But some times, as soon as a couple of hours, to as much as sometime the next day, I have experienced a sort of high intensity "buzz". By that I mean I feel a surge of energy that lasts from anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half. It feels as if I have drank five gallons of coffee, is the only way I can describe it. I don't know if it's psychogical, or physiological, normal or unusual.
I don't drink anymore coffee than I did before I stared training, and I only use the following:
Creatine, recommended to me by a friend who is a trainer in another state.
He recommended it, because he says it hydrates muscle, and rids the (toxins?) from muscle for faster recovery from pain. I read a whole article on this forum on creatine monohydrate, and know from that, that there are no stimulates in creatine.
Vitamins: 1 Multi-vitamin, 1 B-12 tablet per day, Fish oil, 1 gel cap per day, and Siberian Ginsing for (alleged) mental alertness for the over 40 crowd.

I don't take any medications that would cause this, and don't use any illegal or non-prescribed medications.

So this powerful surge of energy, almost a hyper-active state is strange, and again, it usually only occurs a couple of hours after a work-out, or the next day.

I do know that activity can change mental state, as during the late 70's to late 80's, I was a 5 to 10 mile per day runner and always experinced "runner's high", after about 5 miles, but understood this to be a release of dopamine from the brain. But this was more like a mellow "high" and a relaxed more sedated feeling, totally oppisite of what's happening now.

Sorry if I got too wordy here, I just wanted to try to fill in any missing gaps or info, that may or may not be pertinent, to weight training.

Thanks ahead for any help.

J.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

From what I've read, I think that is your central nervous system being amped up from the workout. At first, fatigue masks the "amped up" feeling, but as you recover from your workout, the feeling of being amped up shows through for lack of a better description.

Fairly normal, for that reason, I don't workout too late at night as it causes me to have trouble falling asleep because I feel like I can't shut off my brain.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Jemimasmith should change his/her status!

i too have did late night workout due to not getting the time from my regular work schedule after mixing it with additional outings .. and the same problem of feeling difficulties in falling asleep, i too have faced at those occasions