Certain supplements concern, by a diabetic. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Yujyea is worshipping and gymming
Stranger

Default Certain supplements concern, by a diabetic.

Guys, I'm diabetic type 2, but I've got it under control now. I have no issues with blood sugar levels, or insulin levels for some time now, and I've been going to the gym for 2 years now.

Recently, I've started on creatine a few days back, and I'm still waiting for results. However, I've went on a high-carb meal last night(not my cheat day, though) and I took metformin Hcl to stabilize the spike in sugar.

Out of curiosity, I'm just asking whether the metformin Hcl will react to the creatine, or bring abour any adverse effect??

Thanks for any advise on this matter, and all views and comments are appreciated.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 AM
jasonorland should change his/her status!
Stranger

I read this case report from Tehran describes a 42-year-old body builder who developed anion-gap metabolic acidosis (pH 7.25, anion gap 22 mEq/L) after taking a combination of metformin and creatine for 3 weeks. He presented with anuria (creatinine 3.5 mg/dL) and respiratory distress due to pulmonary edema. The authors conclude that “creatine use was the only predisposing factor for the development of acute renal failure ” in this patient, and imply that this caused metformin-induced lactic acidosis (MALA), which contributed to the unfortunate outcome in this case.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Crombie is the greatest supervillain the world has ever seen!
Heavyweight

You know, except for the fact that he suffered a fatal heart attack during dialysis, and had gone untreated for diabetes for quite some time. Add on to that fact that he had just started metformin, and he should have had blood work to make certain he was not pre-disposed to acidosis. The article never specifically provides a cause for 'how' creatine would cause this to occur, and acidosis can also be induced through heavy exercise.

His renal condition was already poor by the time he started diabetes treatment because the diabetes had been untreated for so long. Also, if this was such a large problem there would be more than a single piece of case literature that has not been properly edited.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Yujyea is worshipping and gymming
Stranger

Dang, there is so little information on this. So, for a diabetic patient, that does not exhibit signs of diabetes anymore, and exercises regularly, is taking metformin together with creatine okay?
Can anyone help??
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM
10forty2 is Back In Da House!!
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujyea View Post
Dang, there is so little information on this. So, for a diabetic patient, that does not exhibit signs of diabetes anymore, and exercises regularly, is taking metformin together with creatine okay?
Can anyone help??
In all honesty, you really need to discuss it with your physician. Creatine has been proven safe in normal people for several years now, and in several clinical trials. 15-20 years ago there was little information available on the possible side effects of creatine, but today, there is solid research. With that said, though, any medical condition such as diabetes, hypertension, or other related conditions will preclude any so-called "safe" supplement use.

Cut to the chase..... DON'T seek or take medical advice from the internet, or from anyone else for that matter, except your personal physician who is familiar with your condition!!! In your case specifically, diabetes is nothing to mess with. Even though you don't have symptoms, please, please, please do not think that you can get off your diet or meds to take a supplement that at best will offer nominal gains in the gym. Follow your doctor's guidance and keep your diabetes under control like it is now!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

Default Diabetic Correct

10forty2 you are exactly right. I only found out about 2 yrs. ago I am a Type II diabetic. I take Metformin but I do nothing without making sure my doctor at the VA Hospital knows of the change or suggests it. It is still the greatest feeling in the world to lift and wrk this old wore out body.

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Crombie is the greatest supervillain the world has ever seen!
Heavyweight

Also, confirm with your doctor that taking metformin irregularly is fine with the formulation you are using. Mine is long-acting, and so is not meant to control sugars per dose but as a maintenance medication to keep my blood sugars in line.

One thing to remember is that one study is hardly evidence that there is any issue, and a doctor will also have access to your bloodwork to determine if you have any other pre-existing medical conditions that would prevent you from using creatine.

As another anecdote (which is all the reference 'study' from above is) - I take metformin, and use creatine regularly. My blood work has always been normal, and my doctor knows I take creatine and has no issue with that.