Battling Obesity - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Qester is looking forward to his cardio session tommorow
Light-Heavyweight

Post Battling Obesity

Hello Everyone!

To those old time members I am back, to the new members let me introduce myself. I am Qester and I once was in shape. I was a varsity athlete who took training very seriously and had the results I wanted.

However once I stopped sports my high caloric diet did not change and my workouts dwindled. I packed on around 50-60 pounds. Going from 2 or 3 a days to none a days while still eating a ton has it's effects. At first it wasn't as bad as it seemed I kept most of my strength and was still pretty fit.

Over the last 5 years however I have packed on another 10 pounds and am significantly weaker my health has declined my cardio is non existent, I am a wreck. To top it all of I am in my Mid-Twenties!

Something has to change!

The excuses I need to overcome:
1) I don't have time, I am in school, I work, I have personal obligations, I do volunteer work... Yet adding an hour a day into my life will give me years on the backside and make all my years better
2) I have a torn rotator cuff, I saw an orthopedic surgeon who was going to do laproscopic surgery however I could not afford the time required for the recovery period... I will have to take precautions to build up the muscles around it and go light on the shoulder/chest exercises
3) I have tendonitis in both biceps... Again I will have to go low weight
4) It's so much easier to eat poorly (and cheaper!)... This one will be the hardest for me, I love healthy foods, greens, veggies, lean meats bring em on! The problem is the wallet! Without a lot of expendable income it can be hard to eat healthy on a diet
5) Asthma...asthma...asthma... I have asthma, and it is a daily thing. No hardcore cardio for me!

Goals:
1) My goal is to lose 60 pounds. Whoa!? Wait? 60 pounds? Yes you read that correctly...60 pounds
2) To have lower blood pressure, I want to lower my blood pressure to an acceptable level.
3) Bodyfat- I have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is at..In fact I don't even know how much I weigh I am afraid to look at the scale however my long term goal is 15% by age 30.
4) Better breathing- I am hoping that weight loss and exercise will improve my asthma

Plan:
Who knows? I need to do some research to figure out the best and healthiest way to tackle this. All my knowledge base revolves around exercises and nutrition while already in shape and healthy, I need to build a new foundation.

Below I will be posting how my days are going for better or for worse and I will keep this post updated with my stats once I get them.

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qester View Post
Hello Everyone!

To those old time members I am back, to the new members let me introduce myself. Something has to change!
Hi, I'm not old but I am not new. : )
Either way, Welcome back!

Quote:
The excuses I need to overcome:
1) I don't have time, I am in school, I work, I have personal obligations, I do volunteer work... Yet adding an hour a day into my life will give me years on the backside and make all my years better
Don't get trapped in this box. Finding 15 to 20 minutes a day of hard compound exercises will do wonders and won't eat away at your work and social life.

Quote:
4) It's so much easier to eat poorly (and cheaper!)... This one will be the hardest for me, I love healthy foods, greens, veggies, lean meats bring em on! The problem is the wallet! Without a lot of expendable income it can be hard to eat healthy on a diet
This is false as I have documented so many times on this site.

Please check out this thread for an example:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...ad.php?t=95962

Once you start calculating the nutrients per dollar of items like whey, tuna, chicken, eggs, rice, potatoes, oatmeal and compare it to unhealthy options, you will be surprised.

Quote:
5) Asthma...asthma...asthma... I have asthma, and it is a daily thing. No hardcore cardio for me!
Did you have asthma in high school/college? Or is this weight/health related?

Quote:
Plan:
Who knows? I need to do some research to figure out the best and healthiest way to tackle this. All my knowledge base revolves around exercises and nutrition while already in shape and healthy, I need to build a new foundation.
Luckily for you, human physiology hasn't changed just because you are out of shape. The same things that built muscle and got you lean then are the things that will work now. The only change is your level of strength and cardiovascular endurance. Thus, you may have to start with lighter weights and less volume, but you can gradually work up to similar routines like what you did 5 to 10 years ago.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Don't get trapped in this box. Finding 15 to 20 minutes a day of hard compound exercises will do wonders and won't eat away at your work and social life.
Oh I realize this completely I just need to find the motivation after a twelve hour shift to make it to the gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Did you have asthma in high school/college? Or is this weight/health related?
I have had asthma since a young child, never outgrew it, it has just gotten worse in recent years

"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
Henry Ford
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM
bigironcross is working to get less huge and better proportioned!
Middleweight

Good Luck, Qester! Don't weight yourself daily since it can be discouraging. But, do weight yourself occasionally to make sure you're on track. Clothes fitting better feels great. Needing a new wardobe feels even better. I've recently lost about 10 pounds just by reducing my portions. Weights do feel heavier and I do feel weaker. Hopefully, I'll get past that. Hoping to need a new wardobe in a few months. Slow and steady will win this fat loss race. Good luck again.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
rickck48 is tryin harder!
Middleweight

All the best to you Qester in your work. I too am starting over after a low back surgery and now they tell me I will never work again. Well I started back and am just now getting over kidney surgery and to start over. Never give up til you get that "Perfect" lift. Be watching with ya. RTR!

Goal: NOT there Yet, But haven't quit either!

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcross
Don't weight yourself daily since it can be discouraging. But, do weight yourself occasionally to make sure you're on track. Clothes fitting better feels great. Needing a new wardobe feels even better. I've recently lost about 10 pounds just by reducing my portions. Weights do feel heavier and I do feel weaker. Hopefully, I'll get past that. Hoping to need a new wardobe in a few months. Slow and steady will win this fat loss race. Good luck again.
Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickck48
All the best to you Qester in your work. I too am starting over after a low back surgery and now they tell me I will never work again. Well I started back and am just now getting over kidney surgery and to start over. Never give up til you get that "Perfect" lift. Be watching with ya. RTR!
I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Today's diet:
Breakfast: Oatmeal and hashbrown (bad i know)
Early Dinner (3pm)- Chicken Breast with bbq sauce, baked potato, Veggie Chilli (Pasta Sauce, Green Beans, Assorted Red beans)
Post Workout: Whey Shake

Workout:
Supersets:

Wide Grip Pulldown 12x100, 10x110 8x120
Tricep rope pulldowns 12x100 10x110 8x120

Incline Machine (not pulley, actual plates) 12x45 lbs plates, 12x 55lbs, 12x 75lbs
Bicep Curls 12x20 10x25 12x20

Deadlifts 6x135 6x135 6x135

Henry Ford
Old 09-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Well I didn't make it to the gym on my second day Ended up going to bed early and sleeping for 13 hours.

My diet looked like

10am: Packet of Oatmeal
1pm: Protein Shake
3pm: Packet of Oatmeal
7pm: Chicken Breast, 3 scrambled eggs, small serving of pasta
9pm: Bed

Henry Ford
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Middleweight

I would move the eggs to the morning to get your protein spread out the day.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcross View Post
I would move the eggs to the morning to get your protein spread out the day.
Seems much more reasonable usually in the mornings I am super rushed so it can be difficult.. My diet today was pretty weak

Breakfast ~10:30am- packet of oatmeal
Dinner: 8pm- Chicken Breast, Green Beans Brown Rice
Snack 12:45am- Banana

Went for a 30minute walk

Was super busy today didn't have time to eat really at all, made it a point to not go out and grab fast food or overeat at my late dinner, just got back from the grocery store and bought some Omega-3 Breaded Fish 80 cals per filet high protein high fiber. Cooking up the 10 filet ffor the week, going to have one now and taking 2 for lunch tomorrow)

Henry Ford
Old 09-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Middleweight

Try adding some some greek yogurt for some extra protein.

Try adding a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil in a large glass of water before bedtime for some extra fiber. Also, it also helps lower cholesterol.