Need help/critique of workout plan - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Red XIII is gonna change YOUR status.
Lightweight

Default Need help/critique of workout plan

Hello all, long time no post.

So here's my issue. I'm in the military as a cop and I work a weird shift. Gotta show up at 1230pm and usually don't go home until 10 or 11 at night. On my first and third of my work cycle, I'm required to attend unit PT for about an hour. This usually includes running (sprints or distance) and calisthenic circuits. What makes it even weirder is that I work six days in a row and then have three days off, so I'm never really on or off on set days of the week. Also, two to three times a week, I attend Krav Maga classes for 2 to 3 hours. It is a pretty intense workout in itself.

Anyway, Even with these two physical activities combined, I'm not looking as good as I want. I'm 5'10 and 210lbs. I'm not really sure what my body fat percentage is but I'll say it like this, I look decent in jeans and a t-shirt, but if you saw me at the beach, you wouldn't look twice. My plan is to cut some fat and increase my athleticism, so three times a work cycle (my third and fifth day of work and second day of break) I do a full body weight training routine after work. I've seen stuff about it online but don't ever really remember it being advocated here, so I'm looking for opinions. My typical routine looks like this:

Incline Bench- 3x8
Squats- 3x20 (I love 20 rep squats)
Pull-ups- 5xfailure
Shoulder press- 3x10
Seated Calf Raises- 5x15
Hammer Curls- 3x10
Skull Crushers- 5x10
Cable Shrugs- 5x12
Continuous abdominal circuit coming out to 100 reps.

So.. is doing this routine 3 days out of 9 including the other stuff I was talking about going to border on over training? I don't feel over trained. Well this work out, coupled with a good diet, help me get toned and increase my athleticism (ie- chasing some one down, extended foot patrols with 40+ lbs of gear, sparring, fire team/squad training exercises)??

If you read this far, thanks! Any advice or comments are much appreciated.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Jorgan VonStrangle is getting ready for something big
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red XIII View Post
Hello all, long time no post.

So here's my issue. I'm in the military as a cop and I work a weird shift. Gotta show up at 1230pm and usually don't go home until 10 or 11 at night. On my first and third of my work cycle, I'm required to attend unit PT for about an hour. This usually includes running (sprints or distance) and calisthenic circuits. What makes it even weirder is that I work six days in a row and then have three days off, so I'm never really on or off on set days of the week. Also, two to three times a week, I attend Krav Maga classes for 2 to 3 hours. It is a pretty intense workout in itself.

Anyway, Even with these two physical activities combined, I'm not looking as good as I want. I'm 5'10 and 210lbs. I'm not really sure what my body fat percentage is but I'll say it like this, I look decent in jeans and a t-shirt, but if you saw me at the beach, you wouldn't look twice. My plan is to cut some fat and increase my athleticism, so three times a work cycle (my third and fifth day of work and second day of break) I do a full body weight training routine after work. I've seen stuff about it online but don't ever really remember it being advocated here, so I'm looking for opinions. My typical routine looks like this:

Incline Bench- 3x8
Squats- 3x20 (I love 20 rep squats)
Pull-ups- 5xfailure
Shoulder press- 3x10
Seated Calf Raises- 5x15
Hammer Curls- 3x10
Skull Crushers- 5x10
Cable Shrugs- 5x12
Continuous abdominal circuit coming out to 100 reps.

So.. is doing this routine 3 days out of 9 including the other stuff I was talking about going to border on over training? I don't feel over trained. Well this work out, coupled with a good diet, help me get toned and increase my athleticism (ie- chasing some one down, extended foot patrols with 40+ lbs of gear, sparring, fire team/squad training exercises)??

If you read this far, thanks! Any advice or comments are much appreciated.
you kind of have it as a 9 day split, versus a 7 day split which most people use as it accommodates their work week. But to be honest your workout isn't very good. There is no variation, very little volume, and just as many shrugs as squats. It seems apparent that you don't want to overlap your mandated training with your personal training which isn't necessarily a bad thing but i'll make a recommendation based upon your free days.
I'd say make them upper/lower body splits. wherein, you would train your upper body twice the first 9 day phase and once the second 9 day phase. then upper body would be once the first 9 day phase and twice the second 9 day phase. Center your workouts around compound movements and vary your reps over the 9 day phases. i.e. first phase is 8 reps, second phase is 12 reps
University of Tampa. Tampa, FL
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgan VonStrangle View Post
I'd say make them upper/lower body splits. wherein, you would train your upper body twice the first 9 day phase and once the second 9 day phase. then upper body would be once the first 9 day phase and twice the second 9 day phase. Center your workouts around compound movements and vary your reps over the 9 day phases. i.e. first phase is 8 reps, second phase is 12 reps
x 2 on this advice.

Your time would definitely be better spent on more compound movements than the last 4 isolation movements you listed in your routine.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM
BlueFlameEyes is out of shape.
Bantamweight

I feel like your full body work out is not sufficient to really hit any one muscle group, so there is no concern of overworking. "A set of bench press does not a chest workout make." I'm sure some wise man once said that. Whether it be the upper/lower body split as recommended above or a more conventional routine that might require you to bump your classes to make room for another standard gym day (you can always switch 4 or 6 months on straight gym bulk time, followed by equal time back with your classes on a cut), I think it's clear you should be targeting muscle groups more effectively to actually require that rest period before your next work period. I don't know that your work-required training will necessarily interfere with any heavy weight training on the other days. Ideally the muscle groups would be resting, but it doesn't sound like you're asked to do any hardcore muscle fiber attacking, so I don't believe it would lead to over training or limit your gains.
"I am all that is Man!"
Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 AM
BlueFlameEyes is out of shape.
Bantamweight

And by the way, I do want to say that I very much admire your work ethic, and thank you for your military service! You sound like a very driven person from the amount of effort you are willing to put into training.
"I am all that is Man!"
Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Algavinn is transforming myself and others into avatars of health.
Middleweight

Besides the pullups and the hammer curls, you basically have no 'pulling exercises,' meaning that when it comes to actual lifting, ignoring PT and krav maga, you have nothing for your hamstrings, the entirety of your back (outside of those pullups), and your glutes are getting much at all either. I'd love to see some deadlifts in any full body workout, some good medium for rows (TRX are my favorited, but a seated row works well in my opinion), and as stated...that is a lot of shrugs. Honestly from a purely musculoskeletal balance perspective, I cringe at seeing that many shrugs. Are the shrugs purely for size and aesthetics, or do you find them helpful for geared mandatory "hikes?" Are you getting good glute work in Krav Maga? Im somewhat familiar with the style but I haven't trained in it, do you have much in the way of back kicks that may help to train the glutes? If not I would highly suggest some dedicated glute work as you certainly have a need for functional glute strength, and personally squats don't do it for me.

In the end I'm mostly trying to push adding deadlifts and rows on top of what you have, not replacing any of it, and suggesting caution with the shrugs.

I'll leave split advise as said by the others.

"We must not forget that even in the most perverted and cruel human being, as long as he is human, a small grain of love and compassion exists that will make him, one day, a Buddha." -Dalai Lama

Thrivebodybalance.com
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Jemimasmith should change his/her status!

OK then this is really helpful in getting the desired level of the fitness required to feel a good athleticism in you .. though I'm not at the same level of the work schedule and body fat still finding a better clue about how to manage your fitness well by going with a proper exercise and supportive diet plan ..

Last edited by Jemimasmith; 10-03-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

I have a question for you Red XIII before I give any advice on your program. Do you have a goal?
If you have a goal? what is it? do you want to gain muscle or lose fat or gain strength because each it has a different program and diet for each goal that you will target.
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv