How to overcome plateau on a routine? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Yiannis should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default How to overcome plateau on a routine?

Hi everybody,
I would like to ask you how can i overcome plateu on my routine on power days.
For example on my leg power days i am doing squats for 3-5 reps,3 sets.After a few weeks i hit a wall.I can't increase the pounds on squats.Iam following a clean bulk diet( 300kcal above maintanance) and my sleep is 8 hours everyday.
To be more specific i follow PHAT training protocol.What strategies can i follow so to overcome this?I would like to increase my strength on compounds lifts like squats and bench presses.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Stranger

Can someone help with this question? Commander could you?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Ratcat is lifting heavy in less time.
Light-Heavyweight

G'day cobber. This is the first of three articles that you should read.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/shock...tzonepart1.pdf

It comes from a page here

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/shockmethods.html

I think you need to build up other muscles in the body that assist the muscles that have hit the plateau. That takes time and constant adjustments in your routine. If you keep a workout diary on this forum then other people will give you comments and ideas on your workouts. Cheers.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Stranger

Thanks Ratcat for your reply.
I have read this article but i don't think that it's useful for my situation.This is an article that describes several shocking methods that someaone can have in his routine.I would say that these methods are useful for hypertrophy not strength.It doesn't describe how can someone overcome a plateau and how to increase your strentgh in compounds lifts like squats,deadlifts and presses.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Don't completely disregard Ratcat's advice, some more volume on assistance movements can help with hypetrophy which can in turn help with the strength.

Remember hypertrophy and strength complement each other. With strength, you can lift heavier weights in the hypertrophy range, and with hypertrophied muscles, it becomes easier and safer to gain strength.

That said, I have a few possible recommendations;

1. Make smaller jumps, invest in 2.5 or even 1.25 pound plates so you can make very small jumps in weights.

2. If you have to make bigger jumps (say 10 pounds because you only have 5 pound plates), then only make the jump for one set.

* Example: if you got 200 for 3 sets of 5, but struggled to get 210 the next week and didn't get all your reps, then try 210x5, and then 200x5 for the next two sets. The following week try, 210 for 2 sets and 200 for one set. Finally, 3 weeks later, try to get all three sets with 210.

3. Deload, take 10% off of your top weight, again, let's imagine 200. 10% of 200 is 20 pounds, so try 180 the following week. It should feel relatively easy, then work back up to 200 and try to get past it.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Stranger

Yes Commander i agree that hypertrophy on secondary muscles can help increase the strength in compounds lifts.

Also i like the two ways you propose for overcoming plateau,i'll definetely use them.

I would like to ask you if i should use a powerlifting style for the squat and chest press on power days.I have seen that powerlifters use a different technique than bodybuilders when squatting or doing chest presses.With this different technique they are more capable to use heavier weights which i think is the number one priority on strength days.But it is something new for me because i have never used them before.I always use bodybuilding format on my training because i want to develop the target area.Especially powerlifting chest press is almost different than bodybuilding chest press.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I prefer powerlifting technique for bench press as it is much safer than using an elbows flared technique. True the elbows flared will hit the chest more, but it can also lead to pec tears and shoulder pain.

Also, for those with long arms, the powerlifting technique can still be an effective chest builder. Those with shorter arms (and hence, different leverages) may find that the powerlifting style bench press mostly hits their delts and triceps. If that's the case for you, you may want to add in some accessory chest movements.

I am long armed, so I can get a great chest workout even from the powerlifting bench press.

As for the squat, I'd stick with whatever technique suits your body and leverages. Bodybuilders tend to go more narrow feet placement and higher bar. Powerlifters tend to go wider feet placement and lower bar. But that isn't the only combination, I personally feel most comfortable with a lower bar but a closer stance.

Since poor squatting form can be so problematic, I would definitely stick to whatever style of squatting lets you hit depth pain free. Then if you have certain bodybuiling goals, choose accessory movements based off of those goals.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM
ruelisla should change his/her status!
Stranger

You should do periodization method. the reason that you feel that you hit the plateau is because you do always maximize your lift. Its the same as in stock market, when you reach your peak the result is your lifts goes down.

Try to do low reps and high reps on your squat day.

For Example:
Day one of Squat, do low rep 6x6
Day 2 of Squat, do high reps 4x15

This will help you target different muscle fiber in your legs.

by doing low reps helps you increase muscle mass and strength and by doing high reps it gives you muscle more pumps and also muscle endurance.
Check the video by clicking here ===> http://tinyurl.com/kromgsv

Last edited by ruelisla; 09-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.